[REMOVE ADS]

The story of black girl groups of the 60's

This is from a VHS tape that came out in the mid 80s called "Girl Groups- The Story of a Sound". I got copy in 1985 in Philadelphia.

Just watched the first few minutes so far with Ronnie & Arlene - great find, Glencro! Thanks so much -

thanks Glencro

edafan

I take it that this is not available on DVD? Are the abrupt cuts the result of the VHS tape being damaged or just bad editing?
    Last edited by mr_june; 06-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I take it that this is not available on DVD? Are the abrupt cuts the result of the VHS tape being damaged or just bad editing?
    It is bad editing Mr. June. The original video opens with the Angels singing "My Boyfriend's Back".

I owned that VHS tape back in the day. Wasn't it a 'sort of' companion of the book
    that came out at that time by Allen Betrok. I believe Allen passed away a few years
    ago. I never found it on DVD.
    Last edited by lakeside; 06-12-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I owned that VHS tape back in the day. Wasn't it a 'sort of' companion of the book
    that came out at that time by Allen Betrok. I believe Allen passed away a few years
    To my knowledge, it has never been released on dvd. When I bought my first vcr, this was one of the first VHS tapes that I purchased. Later on, it was a real treat to find the book as well.

Coincidentally, Motown released an album based on the book/vhs.

I had both the book & VHS Tape of Girl Groups-The Story Of A Sound when they came out in the '80s. Both are very well done and enjoyable looks at the '60s Girl Group Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    To my knowledge, it has never been released on dvd. When I bought my first vcr, this was one of the first VHS tapes that I purchased. Later on, it was a real treat to find the book as well.

I also had the Motown LP based on the book & documentary on VHS.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    That's it and you are right Lakeside.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

Reese, I had just bought my first VCR around the same time. It was so expensive that I had to buy it on installment credit. LOL!

I, too, bought the "Girl Groups: The Story Of A Sound" VHS tape as well as the
    companion book and the LP which, strangely, was on Motown. A few years back, I upgraded to the DVD of which copies are now scarce and hard to find. Ebay does have one U.S. dealer who has 6 new copies available, playable in "All Regions".

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263043121702