[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Johnny Rivers and The Supremes LIVE Concert 1967

    This is a live concert recording of the Supremes at the Hollywood Bowl in 1967 with Cindy Birdsong subbing for Florence Ballard:


  2. #2
    Not to be mean but this was posted a year ago on here

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Not to be mean but this was posted a year ago on here
    Ok, well. No problem. Thanks Blackguy69.

  4. #4
    If it was on last year, I missed it. Thanks for reposting.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    If it was on last year, I missed it. Thanks for reposting.
    You're welcome Lakeside. I was impressed by how clear the audio was.

  6. #6
    I also missed it if it was posted last year. Thanks.

  7. #7
    dont Worry about reposting - you bring a lot of great stuff here and there’s no way to remember it all. This IS a clearer recording.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Not to be mean but this was posted a year ago on here
    I think you are being a little mean. I didn't see it last time out so i am grateful to be able to hear it now. Thank you for posting Marv.

  9. #9
    I wasn’t trying to be mean I was stating that it’s been posted on here more than once . A quick search and it pops up.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I wasn’t trying to be mean I was stating that it’s been posted on here more than once . A quick search and it pops up.
    I don't think you were being. I do think that there are more than a handful of overly sensitive people on here these days. Don't worry about it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I wasn’t trying to be mean I was stating that it’s been posted on here more than once . A quick search and it pops up.
    I have just heeded your invaluable advice and seen the original post. However Marv's post is much clearer than the previous one and is therefore a welcome addition.

  12. #12
    Marv . Thanks for posting this. What I liked it is the first time I can really hear Cindy on a live recording. Too bad her mic got turned down later on . She really sounds good.

  13. #13
    Cindy does a nice job of it. Vocally Flo was missed. I'll never understand why they didn't just remove "Back In My Arms Again" even at the last minute. That "oh she don't know" crap is clever but unnecessary.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Cindy does a nice job of it. Vocally Flo was missed. I'll never understand why they didn't just remove "Back In My Arms Again" even at the last minute. That "oh she don't know" crap is clever but unnecessary.
    The "oh she don't Know" wasn't as the flub on "Shake" you can hear Diana say " Come on now Flo" but she din't complete Florence.

    I have to say I prefer Cindy on some these numbers than Flo. I've been listening to the Roostertail Live (I believe from 1966) and Florence could be a vocally annoying with her background vocal ad-libs, i.e. Yesterday and the Symphony medley come to mind. There are many spots where Cindy mimics Flo's harmony spot on in her Hollywood Bowl performance.

  15. #15
    yeah it is surprising that they didn't just cut Back. they certainly had enough other songs in their songbook to select from.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    The "oh she don't Know" wasn't as the flub on "Shake" you can hear Diana say " Come on now Flo" but she din't complete Florence.

    I have to say I prefer Cindy on some these numbers than Flo. I've been listening to the Roostertail Live (I believe from 1966) and Florence could be a vocally annoying with her background vocal ad-libs, i.e. Yesterday and the Symphony medley come to mind. There are many spots where Cindy mimics Flo's harmony spot on in her Hollywood Bowl performance.
    It's been quite some time since I listened to the Roostertail show in it's entirety so I'll have to listen out for what you speak of. Personally I loved Flo's ad libs during the Sam Cooke medley when Diana was introducing it. For the life of me I don't know why they didn't just go ahead and let the woman sing "Good News" in the medley. "People" was nice, but "Good News" would've really been Flo's moment.

  17. #17
    i agree that in the medleys, M and F could have had some solo spots. And Good News would have been an excellent closing to the medley. but i guess that's why it wasn't. Diana would have to have had the closer and therefore it was Shake

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree that in the medleys, M and F could have had some solo spots. And Good News would have been an excellent closing to the medley. but i guess that's why it wasn't. Diana would have to have had the closer and therefore it was Shake
    Absolutely agree. I think Mary would have sound good on "You Send Me" or Sentimental Reason.

  19. #19
    The Supremes would have been that more special had Florence and Mary had more solos in concert and on the albums.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree that in the medleys, M and F could have had some solo spots. And Good News would have been an excellent closing to the medley. but i guess that's why it wasn't. Diana would have to have had the closer and therefore it was Shake
    True. Not that "Shake" wasn't a good closer. They rock it.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Absolutely agree. I think Mary would have sound good on "You Send Me" or Sentimental Reason.
    Yes! I'm actually surprised that Mary didn't get a lead on the Sam Cooke album. I thought a couple of those tunes were well within her wheelhouse.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The Supremes would have been that more special had Florence and Mary had more solos in concert and on the albums.
    Agreed. I would've given Flo at least one song per album, Mary one song per album, and let Diana do the rest. In the shows Diana would've gotten the majority of songs, but I would've been even more liberal in how often Flo and Mary sang lead in the live act than on the album. As is the Supremes were obviously special, but like you say, they would've been even more so with a bit more input from Flo and Mary.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.