[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer

    I have been listening to this Stevie song ALL DAY and was reminded of how STUNNING a ballad it truly is. I think the string arrangement on the track has to be among the best, or the classiest, ever heard on a Motown record. The strings honestly sound like they are from some sort of classical music piece. Absolutely wonderful.


  2. #2
    It is a fantastic song. Tends to be overlooked but once you listen you're hooked. BTW was there a Stevie Wonder's Greatest Hits Volume 2 in the US back in the day?

  3. #3
    It is a beauty, Tom. Good taste you have. More than a few tears were shed when Stevie performed it for Michael Jackson's funeral.

  4. #4
    Great song. I canít help thinking about Janet Jackson when I hear it. For those that have no clue as to why I say that, this song was featured in Poetic Justice .

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    It is a fantastic song. Tends to be overlooked but once you listen you're hooked. BTW was there a Stevie Wonder's Greatest Hits Volume 2 in the US back in the day?
    I agree mystery. And yes, Stevie Wonder's Greatest Hits Vol. 2 was released in the US back in 1971, and "Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer" was included on it!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-08-2019 at 09:08 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    It is a beauty, Tom. Good taste you have. More than a few tears were shed when Stevie performed it for Michael Jackson's funeral.
    I didn't know about that actually PNH. Might be worth seeking out.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I have been listening to this Stevie song ALL DAY and was reminded of how STUNNING a ballad it truly is. I think the string arrangement on the track has to be among the best, or the classiest, ever heard on a Motown record. The strings honestly sound like they are from some sort of classical music piece. Absolutely wonderful.

    I think Stevie sang this at Michael Jackson's funeral, along with "They Won't Go".

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think Stevie sang this at Michael Jackson's funeral, along with "They Won't Go".
    You're right! Stevie Wonder sang a very moving version of "Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer" (followed by "They Won't Go When I Go") at Michael Jackson's funeral service. And while Where I'm Coming From is remembered as an 'uneven album', it does have some strong moments like "Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer".

  9. #9
    This is a wonderful track. I first acquired it as a UK single when it was released as an A-side in its own right, with "If You Really Love Me" as the B-side. (TMG779)

    It totally bombed and, shortly thereafter, "If You Really Love Me" got released as an A-side, with "Think Of Me As Your Soldier" as the B-side. That release was a UK hit.

    I also noticed that there appeared to be two analogue masterings of NDYLIS, one with full-on bass and the other with the bass really wound down and "safe".

    For me, the first mastering - as per the UK single and probably a UK-only mastering - has more life and feel than the second mastering, which sounds relatively subdued.

    Putting that to one side, this is a really wonderful, underrated and almost hidden gem.

    Love it!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    You're right! Stevie Wonder sang a very moving version of "Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer" (followed by "They Won't Go When I Go") at Michael Jackson's funeral service. And while Where I'm Coming From is remembered as an 'uneven album', it does have some strong moments like "Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer".
    I think Where I'm Coming From is Stevie's first proper Stevie album, but yeah, perhaps a bit uneven. My other faves from the LP are "If You Really Love Me" and "Take Up A Course In Happiness".

  11. #11
    Yeah Tom, this is a great one from Stevie. I pull this one out when I'm in a certain kind of mood. Everything about it, kills.

  12. #12
    boy, he's really pissed she messed up his summer isn't he.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I think Where I'm Coming From is Stevie's first proper Stevie album, but yeah, perhaps a bit uneven. My other faves from the LP are "If You Really Love Me" and "Take Up A Course In Happiness".
    I agree with you on that TT. After all, Where I'm Coming From is the first album where Stevie Wonder co-wrote all the songs (along with Syreeta Wright) and I feel it's a stepping stone to all the great albums that Stevie has made since then. My favorites on WICF are "Look Around", "If You Really Love Me", "Sunshine In Their Eyes (Everything Is Happening)" & "Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer".
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 06-12-2019 at 04:32 PM.

  14. #14
    I remember Stevie said in a BBC special that this entire album got slept on. This album was going past the Motown Formula. Signed, Sealed, Delivered was the previous album and people were use to that style. Stevie was coming into his own with his writing and production, and people werenít ready at that time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.