[REMOVE ADS]

Would you go to this concert?

Saw this on Facebook today, by chance. Tickets start at $45.45 and go up to $176.43.

Performers include: Contours, Vandellas, Jr. Walkers Allstar Band [[sic), The Miracles Revue F/Mark Scott, and A Temptations Revue F/Bernard Gibson.

If you had the chance, would you go?

Name:  Motown Concert Square.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  26.8 KB
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 06-07-2019 at 03:38 PM.

If someone gave me a free ticket, I might go.

Sorry to say, probably not. Is Martha a part of the program, or is it Martha-less Vandellas?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Sorry to say, probably not. Is Martha a part of the program, or is it Martha-less Vandellas?
    It does not mention Martha at all. Just says Vandellas.

Probably not but I bet this might be better than some of the rest of what is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The photo on the website shows Rosalind, Annette, and Rochelle.

The ticket costs are real high and no Martha means not for me.

One blurb says this:
    This concert will feature five legendary Motown Artists performing under one roof for one night of old school legendary music. The line up will include but not limited to:

• The Contours
    • The Original Vandellas
    • Jr. Walker’s Allstar Band
    • The Miracles Revue featuring Mark Scott
    • A Temptations Revue featuring Bernard Gibson

I don’t think so.

Who is really, as in actual hit making individual people, will be there?

Too many "Revues", as in inspired by the originals, but they are not, they are just a tribute band.

Ha, the Miracles "Revue", meaning not even Claudette will be there.

No, I think a more proper price, would be free, other than cost of eating, inside one of those restaurants with an open stage.

Those are mighty stiff ticket prices for what amounts to a tribute revue.

Are there any original Contours still left...and performing? Otherwise, it's basically
    all a 'tribute' show. Kind of pricey for that. I'd pass.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    It does not mention Martha at all. Just says Vandellas.
    Yes, They bill themselves as The Original Vandellas. In this video [[at about the 11:00 mark) they mention that after being dismissed by Martha for a second time, and replaced, they remained inactive for a while. It was then suggested to them that they should tour as The Original Vandellas with a new lead singer. Just before the 11:00-minute mark, you can see them performing with the new lead singer

Tell ya what..if the[singin bunny rabbits]are the headliners and they appear free at the park down the street...then i'll be there...bernard gibson?????

At least the Vandellas have a genuine connection to the music they will be performing. The tribute acts just ain't for me. But at least the promoter is identifying these acts as such.

Who are the Jr. Walker Allstars band? Members of the original All Stars?

Hey, I wouldn't not go, if that counts!!!!!! I never got to see The Contours or Vandellas in their heyday, so seeing them now is the best I can do. I don't mind at all.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-08-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey, I wouldn't not go, if that counts!!!!!! I never got to see The Contours or Vandellas in their hayday, so seeing them now is the best I can do. I don't mind at all.
    Yeah, but keep in mind, without any disrespect on them on their heyday of the sixties, keep in mind that now is decades later.

I remember a decade or so ago, I've been told there was a cruise that was slated to have the Marvelettes. To me, only some acts can maintain their soaring voices over a few decades later - such as Little Anthony and Eddie Holman. Smokey Robinson, yes, even him, while he's still got a voice of gold, I could tell that today's Smokey is not the Smokey of the late fifties-eighties. Same goes for Diana Ross, still continually glamorous, but not the same Diana of the sixties-nineties.

Nevertheless, I believe I've kinda envisioned the Marvelettes sound of the twenty-first century, kinda like the rustiness of Mary Wells of the eighties, but maybe that was not fair, knowing now that she had cancer by then. But I suppose, I could still check out some late eighties-early nineties Ian Levine to check what Marvelettes sounded by then. However, everyone ages, and so does their voice, decades and decades later. And I definitely don't think the Contours could do the splits like they used to back in their day.

I would still pay $20 to watch still-surviving original side members of "oldies" acts, maybe even up to $50 on the case of the official Temptations or Four Tops, well aware that the reason they still remain fresh and exciting, would be from finding vital and top class voices to keep their signature sound going.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 06-07-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Are there any original Contours still left...and performing? Otherwise, it's basically
    all a 'tribute' show. Kind of pricey for that. I'd pass.
    Joe Billingslea is still performing. He is an original Contour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Yeah, but keep in mind, without any disrespect on them on their heyday of the sixties, keep in mind that now is decades later.

I remember a decade or so ago, I've been told there was a cruise that was slated to have the Marvelettes. To me, only some acts can maintain their soaring voices over a few decades later - such as Little Anthony and Eddie Holman. Smokey Robinson, yes, even him, while he's still got a voice of gold, I could tell that today's Smokey is not the Smokey of the late fifties-eighties. Same goes for Diana Ross, still continually glamorous, but not the same Diana of the sixties-nineties.

Nevertheless, I believe I've kinda envisioned the Marvelettes sound of the twenty-first century, kinda like the rustiness of Mary Wells of the eighties, but maybe that was not fair, knowing now that she had cancer by then. But I suppose, I could still check out some late eighties-early nineties Ian Levine to check what Marvelettes sounded by then. However, everyone ages, and so does their voice, decades and decades later. And I definitely don't think the Contours could do the splits like they used to back in their day.

I would still pay $20 to watch still-surviving original side members of "oldies" acts, maybe even up to $50 on the case of the official Temptations or Four Tops, well aware that the reason they still remain fresh and exciting, would be from finding vital and top class voices to keep their signature sound going.
    Ngroove,why you in my head?! Some other examples: Keith Sweat [[still begging), Eddie LaVert [[same rustiness you mentioned, but flourishes there on last album and tour), K-Ci & JoJo [[I don't want to talk about it). Conversely, still going strong: "the Boss"[[Ms. Ross, not Bruce), Mary Wilson [[check out her tribute to her mother), the late Nancy Wilson, Peabo, Jeffrey O., Chaka Khan, The Rev. Al Green, and Aretha"Re-Re & Franklin.

Who is really, as in actual hit making individual people, will be there?

Too many "Revues", as in inspired by the originals, but they are not, they are just a tribute band.

Ha, the Miracles "Revue", meaning not even Claudette will be there.

No, I think a more proper price, would be free, other than cost of eating, inside one of those restaurants with an open stage.
    Totally agree, Ngroove. Other deal breakers: "extravaganza", "originals",.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Ngroove,why you in my head?! Some other examples: Keith Sweat [[still begging), Eddie LaVert [[same rustiness you mentioned, but flourishes there on last album and tour), K-Ci & JoJo [[I don't want to talk about it). Conversely, still going strong: "the Boss"[[Ms. Ross, not Bruce), Mary Wilson [[check out her tribute to her mother), the late Nancy Wilson, Peabo, Jeffrey O., Chaka Khan, The Rev. Al Green, and Aretha"Re-Re & Franklin.
    Looking back to what I said....my apologies.

Perhaps my latter message, came out of watching one too many PBS soul / doo wop specials. A few names, still maintained their voice crystal-clear, even still beyond hit highest notes beyond original records - which I recall, Little Anthony, Eddie Holman, and Carl Carlton.

But many of the rest of the acts, could tell their age, especially when they scream "oldies crowd" only.

The Miracles, for instance, yes, when closeup on each member, could still identify then Pete Moore, Bobby Rogers [[note: set of years ago, when both were still alive, today, RIP), and surprisingly, considering she was out of the public spotlight for decades, Claudette Rogers. But the leader - after just a moment, both myself and my dad say "That is not Smokey". Just a completely new, younger guy, just serviceably enough, aka mediocre, karaoke-ing classic former Smokey tunes.

Looking back to what I said....my apologies.

Perhaps my latter message, came out of watching one too many PBS soul / doo wop specials. A few names, still maintained their voice crystal-clear, even still beyond hit highest notes beyond original records - which I recall, Little Anthony, Eddie Holman, and Carl Carlton.

But many of the rest of the acts, could tell their age, especially when they scream "oldies crowd" only.

The Miracles, for instance, yes, when closeup on each member, could still identify then Pete Moore, Bobby Rogers [[note: set of years ago, when both were still alive, today, RIP), and surprisingly, considering she was out of the public spotlight for decades, Claudette Rogers. But the leader - after just a moment, both myself and my dad say "That is not Smokey". Just a completely new, younger guy, just serviceably enough, aka mediocre, karaoke-ing classic former Smokey tunes.
    I don't recall having seen Little Anthony or Carl Carlton, but I did see Eddie Holman and he was FANTASTIC!!