[REMOVE ADS]

Dr. John has died

I just read the news. He's been in the ether around me a lot for the past week or so as well. Rest in power.

He was GREAT! This is one of my favorite performances of his, along with Etta James:

Another NOLA legend. RIP

Not familiar with all his work [[yet!) but I love "Right Place Wrong Time" with a passion.

I hope his family and loved ones will soon embrace how much joy he brought and let it replace the sorrow that met his passing. He was a legend in New Orleans. I used to watch Late Night With David Letterman every night. One of my favorite shows was when Dr. John and Charles Brown performed a duet of Please Come Home For Christmas. Each on his own piano, they knocked it out of the park. I tried to find it to share but it's not on YouTube but I wish I could watch it again. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I hope his family and loved ones will soon embrace how much joy he brought and let it replace the sorrow that met his passing. He was a legend in New Orleans. I used to watch Late Night With David Letterman every night. One of my favorite shows was when Dr. John and Charles Brown performed a duet of Please Come Home For Christmas. Each on his own piano, they knocked it out of the park. I tried to find it to share but it's not on YouTube but I wish I could watch it again. RIP.
    Another great one from down there was Allen Toussaint! Great songwriter and singer.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Another great one from down there was Allen Toussaint! Great songwriter and singer.
    So many cities can be recognized by their "sound". New Orleans is as distinct as Detroit [[in the '60s), Chicago [['70s), Philadelphia [['60s and '70s), Minneapolis [['80s), Memphis [['60s and '70s) and New York [['50s and '60s). The thing is that the distinct sound of New Orleans lasted from the '50s and well into the '80s. You can trace it back to Louis Armstrong in the '20s. Dr. John and Allen Touissaint embodied what I'm talking about. Some of the musicians on this forum could probably explain it better than I'm capable regarding chord structures, instrumentation and time signature.

true legend
    rip