[REMOVE ADS]

Golden World Review

In reading my newly acquired Custodians of the Hummingbird book by Al Kent, I saw an amazing fact that I was never aware of. In it, LeBaron Taylor had come up with the idea of booking a Golden World Review. It would have starred Edwin Starr, Pat Lewis, the Holidays, Thelma Lindsey, and J. J. Barnes.
    s
    Apparently the idea never came to fruition. A shame in my opinion as this might have been the stimulus that Golden World needed to promote their efforts and achieve success.

I was never aware that such a review was ever considered.

I wasn't aware of it either.I still have to get that book,it's a little on the expensive side. That would've been great to have, but I think this fell through due to a financial dispute like most of these great ideas. Most than likely Ed Wingate and Joanne Bratton were managing their roster like most CEO's were at the time. It was a conflict of interest that folks just dealt with as well as not owning any of the publishing on their songs. LeBaron and Wingate probably couldn't come an agreement that would please them both. Big Ed's pockets were much much deeper than LeBaron's,he gave Don Davis opportunities and that was LeBaron's business partner for awhile. Wingate might've been expected to sacrifice more financially than he was comfortable with.Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I wasn't aware of it either.I still have to get that book,it's a little on the expensive side. That would've been great to have, but I think this fell through due to a financial dispute like most of these great ideas. Most than likely Ed Wingate and Joanne Bratton were managing their roster like most CEO's were at the time. It was a conflict of interest that folks just dealt with as well as not owning any of the publishing on their songs. LeBaron and Wingate probably couldn't come an agreement that would please them both. Big Ed's pockets were much much deeper than LeBaron's,he gave Don Davis opportunities and that was LeBaron's business partner for awhile. Wingate might've been expected to sacrifice more financially than he was comfortable with.Just my opinion.
    Maybe Taylor's inability to get what he thought was a "fair deal" from Wingate is what gave him the idea to start his own production company [[Solid Hitbound Productions)[[leasing product to Mercury, Columbia, Imperial, Verve, etc.), and subsequently, to start his own family of record labels [[Revilot, Solid Hit, and Groovesville [[in partnership with Don Davis), and to "steal" Davis away from being one of Wingate's main Golden World/Ric Tic producers, to partner with him, instead?