[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Songland

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Songland

Was watching the new show Songland with John Legend.really liked it but I started thinking about Diana. If she were to record a new album maybe it would be cool to see Diana record new songs but maybe we the fans could way in on picking the songs.
    Just thinking out loud.
    Any thoughts

Ha! Like Diana would ever listen to the fans. The last time she did that, we got RTL and, well............

Ha! Diana Ross? New songs? What for? LOL!!!!!

She doesn't sound like "Diana Ross" anymore......

Well if you want to split hairs, Diana Ross sold 100 million albums; Mary Wilson sold 4000 on which she sang lead. Few people know the difference between what she sounded like then or now. Hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Well if you want to split hairs, Diana Ross sold 100 million albums; Mary Wilson sold 4000 on which she sang lead. Few people know the difference between what she sounded like then or now. Hehehe
    Oh sweet Haysoos ... he's on to that again ... BTW - I didn;t know Wilson sold that many records. Over a 40 year career that's almost 100 a year. Impressive.

I think it would really need to be a jazz album david. Most definitely no big production numbers in the vein of "Family" or "Amazing Grace".

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think it would really need to be a jazz album david. Most definitely no big production numbers in the vein of "Family" or "Amazing Grace".
    Jazzy or updated quiet storm with a dance track or two would be the way to go. And maybe produced by Legend?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Jazzy or updated quiet storm with a dance track or two would be the way to go. And maybe produced by Legend?
    Perhaps on reflection a full on dance album would probably sell better then a complete jazz album would. I like the idea of Legend as producer. At the end of the day the writing is on the wall as regards Diana recording again.........me thinks.

I agree it's unlikely but I liked how they did the show and reworked the songs.
    Just thinking out loud.
    Just felt like she needs some new blood.
    Anyway I would go dance album or Val simpson

I really have no idea what would be best for Diana if she wanted to record new material. I don't think the idea of 2006's I Love You was bad [[the whole classic love songs thing), just perhaps if it had been executed better.

Valerie Simpson had an album Dinosaurs Are Coming Back, out in 2012, which seemed pretty good from what I listened to on iTunes.

What about a Diana-backed-by-The-Royal-Philharmonic-Orchestra-type album?

I think a new album would most definitely need to be either jazz or dance.....if at all. IMO Diana's voice is really starting to show signs of wear and tear and any big productions songs would not show her in the best light. I think she has done the right thing in giving the recording studio a wide berth at this point in her life [[look at Dionne Warwick). We have four decades of wonderful music to console ourselves with.

Perhaps it is too late for Diana to record a new album. However, it is a real shame to think that this wonderful artist's last studio album was the very patchy, to say the least, I Love You.

Diana's legacy cannot be faulted but how wonderful it would be to release one final album that is commensurate with this legendary star!

I wouldn't mind a symphony concert or album

As much as I really want a new album from Ms Ross, I am almost afraid to see/hear that happen. The previous album or two from both Patti LaBelle and Dionne Warwick have the unfortunate autotune correction all over them. I'm not talking about Cher autotune, like in her song "Believe". It is a very subtle autotune that not everyone can easily pick up on, but it has sadly become the new norm in the industry, likely to get the recording process done and over with a lot quicker. Aretha's final album had a lot of autotune as well. I doubt that some of these legendary divas are even aware that their vocals were tinkered with. I fault their producers and the current state of the industry. I would hate to hear a new Diana Ross album plastered with autotune vocal correction...I just hope if she does an album, she won't need/use it! It ruins everything. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    As much as I really want a new album from Ms Ross, I am almost afraid to see/hear that happen. The previous album or two from both Patti LaBelle and Dionne Warwick have the unfortunate autotune correction all over them. I'm not talking about Cher autotune, like in her song "Believe". It is a very subtle autotune that not everyone can easily pick up on, but it has sadly become the new norm in the industry, likely to get the recording process done and over with a lot quicker. Aretha's final album had a lot of autotune as well. I doubt that some of these legendary divas are even aware that their vocals were tinkered with. I fault their producers and the current state of the industry. I would hate to hear a new Diana Ross album plastered with autotune vocal correction...I just hope if she does an album, she won't need/use it! It ruins everything. lol.
    It is a very scary proposition, in more ways than one! LOL!!!!

What frightens you most? That she might have her 210th chart hit or that she might be nominated for a Grammy?

What frightens you most? That she might have her 210th chart hit or that she might be nominated for a Grammy?
    Ha! All that, and world war, too! In brief, the fear is that Diana would yet again, as always, prevail.

what frightens you most? That she might have her 210th chart hit or that she might be nominated for a grammy?

now that Diana has annouced a new album. could be a way a good way to get a new hit