[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Supremes Re-worked Songs

    From 1961-1963 the Supremes recorded at least four versions of "You're Gonna Come to Me". "Mother Dear" went through three different phases from 65-66. I always wonder why some songs got worked on for so long while others didn't. Are there any Supremes songs you think deserved a revisit?

    I would have liked for the girls to have recut "Who's Loving You" around 65/66. Their version was pretty lousy IMO. But with Barbara's flat tone gone, and Diana's nasalness in check, and the group harmony on point, it might have been nice to get a cleaner recording of such a classic song.

    Also might have been interesting if the group had revisited "A Breath Taking Guy" maybe during the Floy Joy sessions. The song is probably my favorite Supremes single and I also like the Wanda Rogers cover of it too. But I'm hearing Jean in my head and I think it might have worked.

  2. #2
    there are a few others, although none as definitive as the examples you mention

    I love hearing the different takes and versions. a few others if find very interesting are:

    Shame - the version on L&F is quite different from the released. while the released isn't a fav song of mine, it's clearly far better than this unreleased version

    You Can't Stop a girl in love - very interesting alt version on the LYG set. I love the released version (a fav of mine from the Sup 75 set) and the alt one is quite good too. makes you wonder about the idea of releasing BOTH versions on a 45 with the released version as the A and the alt as the B

    The Happening - what's the story about the version on the pink box set? in that booklet, it described the track as a demo. But seems like that was the early version recorded in LA that HDH didn't care for and then redid in Detroit which became the released version.

  3. #3
    “You’re Gonna Come To Me” was recorded, I believe, 5 times. Four versions have been released, one version is still unreleased.

    “Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart” was recorded three times. The first version was cut too low, the second was too high, and then the third version we all know and love.

    “The Happening” was all cut in Detroit. I don’t know where the LA story came from. I know Hal Blaine claimed he played on it, but the film version, erroneously listed as the demo on the 2000 Pink box set, was cut in February 1967 in Studio A and then a few weeks later in March, it was recorded a second time. This second version would be the single.

    “I’ll Set You Free” was recorded a few times. The first version is unreleased. The second version had alternate vocals on it.

    Most songs got reworked because they saw potential in them. By changing things up a bit, the producers felt they were improving and fixing what may not have worked on the initial version.

  4. #4
    Let's not forget "Mother Dear" started out as "Its All Your Fault" which has two versions.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    there are a few others, although none as definitive as the examples you mention

    I love hearing the different takes and versions. a few others if find very interesting are:

    Shame - the version on L&F is quite different from the released. while the released isn't a fav song of mine, it's clearly far better than this unreleased version

    You Can't Stop a girl in love - very interesting alt version on the LYG set. I love the released version (a fav of mine from the Sup 75 set) and the alt one is quite good too. makes you wonder about the idea of releasing BOTH versions on a 45 with the released version as the A and the alt as the B

    The Happening - what's the story about the version on the pink box set? in that booklet, it described the track as a demo. But seems like that was the early version recorded in LA that HDH didn't care for and then redid in Detroit which became the released version.
    Yeah, quite a few numbers ended up with alternate versions, but not many that were done over such a long period of time like "Come to Me" and "Mother Dear".

    I actually like the first version of "Stop a Girl In Love" better than the album version. Your idea of putting them both on a single is an interesting one, but it might have suffered from double play. I think I've made my feelings about "Livin In Shame" clear over time (I dislike it a lot) but I actually kind of like the first version over the released one. It's the track (because the lyrics are still the same stupid lyrics) that makes it for me.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    “You’re Gonna Come To Me” was recorded, I believe, 5 times. Four versions have been released, one version is still unreleased.

    “Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart” was recorded three times. The first version was cut too low, the second was too high, and then the third version we all know and love.

    “The Happening” was all cut in Detroit. I don’t know where the LA story came from. I know Hal Blaine claimed he played on it, but the film version, erroneously listed as the demo on the 2000 Pink box set, was cut in February 1967 in Studio A and then a few weeks later in March, it was recorded a second time. This second version would be the single.

    “I’ll Set You Free” was recorded a few times. The first version is unreleased. The second version had alternate vocals on it.

    Most songs got reworked because they saw potential in them. By changing things up a bit, the producers felt they were improving and fixing what may not have worked on the initial version.
    According to DFTMC, "You're Gonna Come" has six versions, so looks like there are two more that haven't come out yet.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Let's not forget "Mother Dear" started out as "Its All Your Fault" which has two versions.
    That's interesting!! Makes sense too because both songs have a similar theme. I love all the versions of "Fault".

    I would've liked the girls to have re-recorded "Penny Pincher". I think there was potential for it as a soundalike to "Lovelight" that it might have made a better followup than "Run, Run, Run". The track itself needed a boost, the chorus needed more work, and Flo and Mary needed to pay better attention to the harmony in parts.

  8. #8
    been thinking of a few more. and including Diana solo ones too

    Lovin Livin Givin - there's the Ross 78 version and the Thank God It's Friday

    Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good - the released version and the LYG set. the unreleased one is faster, has different vocals and the instrumental break early on

    Everybody's Got The Right - i've heard that there are other unreleased versions in the vaults still. not sure this one really qualifies here. So far we have 2 versions but it's just different vocals. the song itself isn't radically different

    surprised no one mentioned Baby Love! very different versions

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    been thinking of a few more. and including Diana solo ones too

    Lovin Livin Givin - there's the Ross 78 version and the Thank God It's Friday

    Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good - the released version and the LYG set. the unreleased one is faster, has different vocals and the instrumental break early on

    Everybody's Got The Right - i've heard that there are other unreleased versions in the vaults still. not sure this one really qualifies here. So far we have 2 versions but it's just different vocals. the song itself isn't radically different

    surprised no one mentioned Baby Love! very different versions
    I'm glad they redid BABY LOVE. The original version just drags on and on to me. HDH did a great thing when they added the catchy opening "Ooh-ooh" at the beginning as well as the the mid-song modulation.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.