[REMOVE ADS]

Study: At a certain point in our development we become less drawn to the newer music

In a couple of threads recently , the topic of how the latest music simply doesn't have 'it', like the wonderful music of yore did. [[which --- is true! lol!)

I was reminded of this article which helps explain some of why that seems to be the case:

https://www.iflscience.com/brain/we-...age-heres-why/

This happened to me the first time I heard a Britney Spears record.

I knewed it!!!!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a!!!!

"A handful of studies have noted how humans tend to be less open to experience as they age. "

True, though I don't think 30 is the date when we stop to be open to new music, I'd say 50 or 60 would be more accurate.

I am 76 years young. The music of the 50's I grew up on. To me the 50's were not a good music era. I loved the 60's & the 70's. I was a minor league musician. I started studying the earlier eras. I love the 20's 30's 40's. I also ran a band, called Big Band Revival, until 1980. My son, born in 1979 loves the earlier eras, like the blues players out of Chicago in the 30's 40's 50's.
    I don't think we fit this demographic.

You want to hear great singers: listen to Billie Holiday & Paul Robison

My son went with some of his friends to hear a Greatful Dead cover band. They started a song, & he told the group that it was a Howling Wolf song. they said,"How do you know that?"

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 06-04-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    "A handful of studies have noted how humans tend to be less open to experience as they age. "

True, though I don't think 30 is the date when we stop to be open to new music, I'd say 50 or 60 would be more accurate.
    Good point, phil. Perhaps it just starts to happen at 30. My dad was really into music when he was young, vinyl and everything, but basically stopped buying any new music when he was about 40.

I think when you're young and your brain is still a sponge and literally everything seems fresh and stimulating , included within that hunger is the absorption of music . Music is sort of an emotion driven mathematical brain exercise.
    And especially during these developmental years, music indeed supplies the soundtrack to our lives. Those romantic songs that align with first loves, concerts attended with a group of buds, the music that blasted while driving around in our first car, the meaningful songs that first awakened something inside our soul.
    Then we're on into our thirties and a lot of the exploratory experiences have given way to responsibilities like career , marriage, kids.

Music was huge in my life , couldn't get enough of it and in a broad spectrum. But actually by thirty , I'd had my fill, ... hmmm, maybe I'd even OD'd. lol!

I didn't live in a vacuum thereafter though, and certain performers and hits caught my imagination , but nothing to the degree of the earlier years . I didn't resist , I was just less impressed.

And, when I think about it , if a massive computer glitche somehow wiped out all the world's music from post 1990, when I turned 35, never to be heard again ... I'd be just fine.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-04-2019 at 11:59 PM.

This is very interesting. I'll be 30 soon and it's funny because I would say that is the case for me. I've always listened to a lot of different music and tried to branch out to current artists, as well as soul artists of yesteryear that I had not heard of. I find I am less drawn to new discoveries that I make these days and I've been going back more and more to the stuff I've played to death during my childhood, teens and 20's.

I was born in 1965 and was quite an anomaly in 8th grade. While most of my peers were listening to Switch, Kiss and Ray, Goodman and Brown, I was listening to the Drifters, Coasters and Clovers. While I DID listen to some of the then current hits, I also built a tent in the past, musically speaking.

What Boogiedown said about kids, marriage, etc., certainly rings true with me. I got married at 30 and about then is when I stopped listening to newer music. I never went back to doing so and find myself slowly becoming that fist waver, Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This is very interesting. I'll be 30 soon and it's funny because I would say that is the case for me. I've always listened to a lot of different music and tried to branch out to current artists, as well as soul artists of yesteryear that I had not heard of. I find I am less drawn to new discoveries that I make these days and I've been going back more and more to the stuff I've played to death during my childhood, teens and 20's.
    Carlo! No! There is no way you're going to be 30! I remember when you were just a young kid. Where did the time go? LOL!!!

I can sure relate to Boogie and Lockhart

Our second child was born in 1984 and new music pretty much disappeared from my life until the kids brought some M C Hammer etc home

I totally agree that at a certain stage, your horizons, at least for things new, is not as broad

The sponge of youth becomes a bit of a sea urchin

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Carlo! No! There is no way you're going to be 30! I remember when you were just a young kid. Where did the time go? LOL!!!
    lol! Right?! It has flown by. I remember I first joined the Supremes Yahoo Clubs just shy of my 12th birthday, and here we are 18 years later! Now I see young'uns in their teens participating on these forums, and I am no longer the youngest fan around! "You better make way for the young folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I can sure relate to Boogie and Lockhart

Our second child was born in 1984 and new music pretty much disappeared from my life until the kids brought some M C Hammer etc home

I totally agree that at a certain stage, your horizons, at least for things new, is not as broad
    Since the beginning of this century[[!) I've been telling friends, family, anyone not to ask me about music from after 1990. It's like I very suddenly lost interest in new music.

My nephew was born in 1984 and he has always respected Motown and my love for it. He recognizes Motown's importance and role in the hip-hop & 90's r&b he grew up with and loves. He recently told me he understood when I told him that nowadays, while I'm curious about new artists and trends, I'd rather spend my music time listening to my old favorites.

His sister was born in 1995 and, besides contemporary pop music, she fully appreciates the Beatles and the Supremes. She still has a ways to go before she's 30 but even she says she "doesn't get" some new music.

The sponge of youth becomes a bit of a sea urchin
    LOL!
    and Carlo posted:
    "You better make way for the young folks!"
    "It happened to me, and it can happen to you!"

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    lol! Right?! It has flown by. I remember I first joined the Supremes Yahoo Clubs just shy of my 12th birthday, and here we are 18 years later! Now I see young'uns in their teens participating on these forums, and I am no longer the youngest fan around! "You better make way for the young folks!"
    We'll make way for them, we made way for you, but you're hurting my feelings here. LOL!

It's been basically true for me. Growing up in the 60's-70's that's what I tend to
    listen to and buy. I did have a resurgence of interest in new music in the early
    90's with Jade, Xscape, En Vogue, etc. When those groups faded...so did my
    interest. Seems most of the music I buy these days is classical and a few of
    the limited editions [[Supremes). Just getting old, I guess.

Being a music lover but somewhat of a snob when it comes to today's music vs.the music of the[50's-60's-70's-80's]even an old close minded music dude like me can hear something new that's cool,my youngest daughter played some[beiber-timberlake-bruno mars]some years ago in her car,and to this day i dig those tunes..who woulda thunk it,hehehehe!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Being a music lover but somewhat of a snob when it comes to today's music vs.the music of the[50's-60's-70's-80's]even an old close minded music dude like me can hear something new that's cool,my youngest daughter played some[beiber-timberlake-bruno mars]some years ago in her car,and to this day i dig those tunes..who woulda thunk it,hehehehe!!
    Good for you r&b!!!

I pray I never get to the point where I have interest or eagarness to hear new music...I've crossed the 60 yard line but I'm not there yet...Maybe it's just because I listen in different stuff in different ways but ah...carry on....