[REMOVE ADS]

What Happened to the "Don't Forget The Motor City" site????????

Oh no. I hope it isn't gone forever.

What?? I`ve just been on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    What?? I`ve just been on it!
    Wow! Ok, I just checked and it's back up. That was strange. I kept getting a page saying the site you are looking for no longer exists at this address.

I'm sure I saw it because I kept tapping on the desktop shortcut. However, I did have some brownies today...could it be... At any rate, thanks for restoring my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Oh no. I hope it isn't gone forever.
    I just checked too and it's there. You might've tried to access DFTMC when their server was down or when they were doing an update on the site [I've run into that on different sites from time to time].

I'd love to see DFTMC finally be updated with information about all the material that has come out since 2018 [which admittedly isn't TONS, but is a good amount] and, on my "wish list" would be, that they could somehow update all entries to include all recording dates--not just the final date. In my world, I date a track from when the lead vocal was recorded. As an example, if a track were recorded in 1962, but the lead vocal was laid down in 1963...and maybe it stayed unreleased in the vaults for a time, but then in 1966 strings were dubbed in? Well, that song--for me--is dated as from 1963. [Note: However, if a new LEAD VOCAL were dubbed in in 1966, that would make this a 1966 track for me.] As DFTMC is now, it's certainly informative, but only showing one recording date [which, admittedly, the very earliest tracks were often all cut in one day] isn't really telling the full story of a recording. I know the site isn't maintained by Universal or some other large entity that would be able to say, "yes, our staff will make those updates in [[x-amount of time)," but it is something I wish the owners of DFTMC could do. Currently, I know of sites on the web that show detailed recording dates for some entertainers. With all the recording data that has been included with Motown releases over the last 20+ years, it would be great to have that accessible on the web--and on a perfect venue such as DFTMC. Heck, I'd even help with the data entry!

For something like this, a guy can dream, can't he?

More on topic, I'm glad the site DIDN'T disappear but more likely was briefly down for server issues, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I just checked too and it's there. You might've tried to access DFTMC when their server was down or when they were doing an update on the site [I've run into that on different sites from time to time].
    Thanks! That let's me know I wasn't just seeing things! It's funny how much I've grown to appreciate the site more and more. My first thought was all the hard work the creators had put into it may be lost forever.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I'd love to see DFTMC finally be updated with information about all the material that has come out since 2018 [which admittedly isn't TONS, but is a good amount] and, on my "wish list" would be, that they could somehow update all entries to include all recording dates--not just the final date. In my world, I date a track from when the lead vocal was recorded. As an example, if a track were recorded in 1962, but the lead vocal was laid down in 1963...and maybe it stayed unreleased in the vaults for a time, but then in 1966 strings were dubbed in? Well, that song--for me--is dated as from 1963. [Note: However, if a new LEAD VOCAL were dubbed in in 1966, that would make this a 1966 track for me.] As DFTMC is now, it's certainly informative, but only showing one recording date [which, admittedly, the very earliest tracks were often all cut in one day] isn't really telling the full story of a recording. I know the site isn't maintained by Universal or some other large entity that would be able to say, "yes, our staff will make those updates in [[x-amount of time)," but it is something I wish the owners of DFTMC could do. Currently, I know of sites on the web that show detailed recording dates for some entertainers. With all the recording data that has been included with Motown releases over the last 20+ years, it would be great to have that accessible on the web--and on a perfect venue such as DFTMC. Heck, I'd even help with the data entry!

For something like this, a guy can dream, can't he?

More on topic, I'm glad the site DIDN'T disappear but more likely was briefly down for server issues, etc.
    I get what you're saying and don't take it that I'm throwing "shade" at your suggestions/requests, but the site is a work of love and I won't even pretend to fathom what all was involved with getting it from an idea to reality. With things like this, it gets to where people feel this or that could have, should have been done differently, and maybe there are valid points; but it really, REALLY ends up frustrating the hell out of the PO person/persons who put the work into it. It becomes a thing of 'why did I even try?'. There was a site that featured radio broadcasts and it was very good. The creator put TONS of his own time into maintaining it. But, as always, people started giving what they felt were helpful suggestions. They kept giving these suggestions until the guy threatened to pull the plug on the whole site. In fact he grew incredibly frustrated with the whole thing over time.

Oh, did you check that part at the bottom of the home page, Bonus Tracks/Additional Material?

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I get what you're saying and don't take it that I'm throwing "shade" at your suggestions/requests, but the site is a work of love and I won't even pretend to fathom what all was involved with getting it from an idea to reality. With things like this, it gets to where people feel this or that could have, should have been done differently, and maybe there are valid points; but it really, REALLY ends up frustrating the hell out of the PO person/persons who put the work into it. It becomes a thing of 'why did I even try?'. There was a site that featured radio broadcasts and it was very good. The creator put TONS of his own time into maintaining it. But, as always, people started giving what they felt were helpful suggestions. They kept giving these suggestions until the guy threatened to pull the plug on the whole site. In fact he grew incredibly frustrated with the whole thing over time.

Oh, did you check that part at the bottom of the home page, Bonus Tracks/Additional Material?
    I didn't take what you said negatively, WWLFAC. I hope you understand I wasn't posting what I did as a major criticism of DFTMC's webmasters. I know exactly what you're saying about how, as it is, the site is a work of love and definitely is a helpful resource as is. Several years ago, I'd reached out to the webmaster and offered the same basic suggestions of both updating with the newly unreleased material info and increasing the amount of data provided *AND* volunteered my services [data entry into the site] to help make that a reality, but never received any response. So, they are probably [understandably] proud of what they've provided to the world with it. It is good information, so that's fine. As well, everyone is entitled to make suggestions, but no one on the receiving end is ever required to implement them! I just made a public wish here that the site could share even more information than it already is. I understand it took a lot of work to compile and create and would be a lot of work to maintain. ��

Oh--and yes, I have seen the bonus track/additional material section.

I didn't take what you said negatively, WWLFAC. I hope you understand I wasn't posting what I did as a major criticism of DFTMC's webmasters. I know exactly what you're saying about how, as it is, the site is a work of love and definitely is a helpful resource as is. Several years ago, I'd reached out to the webmaster and offered the same basic suggestions of both updating with the newly unreleased material info and increasing the amount of data provided *AND* volunteered my services [data entry into the site] to help make that a reality, but never received any response. So, they are probably [understandably] proud of what they've provided to the world with it. It is good information, so that's fine. As well, everyone is entitled to make suggestions, but no one on the receiving end is ever required to implement them! I just made a public wish here that the site could share even more information than it already is. I understand it took a lot of work to compile and create and would be a lot of work to maintain. ��

Strange. I offered some help regarding which Original is singing lead on what tune. My help was gladly accepted, and the information duly put up on the site, for which I am duly credited. Possibly something happened that meant your information didn’t get over. Try again!!!

I have given them many updates in the past all of which have been gratefully accepted. It has not been updated due to the ill health of one of the main contributors.

Ok, most excellent!!

Hullo one and all!

I'm still alive and well, and I hope Ritchie is too. But I was in hospital for six months, a couple of years back, and that slowed me down a bit. And I haven't BOUGHT many Motown records in the last couple of years, which suggests that an update isn't essential, it'd just be nice. Sure, there are a few errors here and there on the site, which I've corrected on my home version of the database, but I haven't asked Ritchie to upload the fixes yet. It all takes time - more of his than mine when the site is actually updated, as he manages that, and the design and layout is all his: I just provide the content.

Keith Hughes

ps danman: I sent a mail from here to keith@dftmc.info, and it got though ok. Suggest you do the same and we'll see if it succeeds.

Glad to hear you're ok Keith and have made a good recovery. I'd be lost without DFTMC so loads of thanks come yours and Ritchie's way. Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Hullo one and all!

I'm still alive and well, and I hope Ritchie is too. But I was in hospital for six months, a couple of years back, and that slowed me down a bit. And I haven't BOUGHT many Motown records in the last couple of years, which suggests that an update isn't essential, it'd just be nice. Sure, there are a few errors here and there on the site, which I've corrected on my home version of the database, but I haven't asked Ritchie to upload the fixes yet. It all takes time - more of his than mine when the site is actually updated, as he manages that, and the design and layout is all his: I just provide the content.

Keith Hughes

ps danman: I sent a mail from here to keith@dftmc.info, and it got though ok. Suggest you do the same and we'll see if it succeeds.
    Great news, great to hear! I really appreciate the site- both of you have done what I would have only believed to have been nearly impossible. I've raved about y'all's [[THAT is definitely a Southern USA term I get from my relatives) site to many and the one I remember most is from a young woman who spotted something I put up for a Little Lisa song on YouTube. I believe she's from the Philippines and she's a huge fan of Little Lisa/Leeza Miller's career as well as The Lewis Sisters. She saw the link I had for Don't Forget The Motor City and wrote that she REALLY loved the site and learning about all the songs recorded by Lisa and The Lewis Sisters. I tell you, that site is one of the biggest blessings for Motown fans; the diehards, the new fans and even the most casual fan.