[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye : "A Funky Space Reincarnation" The Lyrics.

I bought the album "Here My Dear" by Marvin Gaye way back in Dec. 1978.
    I loved the single "A Funky Space Reincarnation". On the recording I was a bit startled to hear Marvin give a shout out to one "Little Miss Birdsong" [[see the lyrics below). I always believed he was referring to Cindy Birdsong. What are your thoughts?

Lyrics to A Funky Space Reincarnation :

two thousand and seventy three , two thousand and eighty four , two thousand and ninety three , light years ahead you and me gone be getting down on a space bed.....we gone get married in june....we gonna be getting down on the moon, light years interplanetary forms on the get down star wars interplanetary funk......still getting down ......music won't have no race only face... peaceful face.... all the time on this trip stuck inside my mothership i can tell on your face that you really wanna stay SPACE FUNKY SPACE........peaceful space..certain place wait till i feel cool.....HEY BABY lets get in the groove.........Don't you look like somebody i met a long time ago i know i aint ever met you though oooh you look like ive been knowing you for a thousand years gosh ooh i dont know whats happening you know im really involved but i been checking you out you know uh getting some other reaction seems to me though that we been together here we supposed to be together COME ON BABY let's go peace loving and check out this new smoke naw this thing i got it aint classified as dope smoke i got from venus have had it all week its getting old come on and try this new thing with me baby ...too cold....come on now baby lets take off clean get in this sin machine and rock it rock it rock it rock it hey little baby let's magnetize magnets makes the love rise baby oooh sugar lets get some more why do i feel like ive been....with ......you .....before shoot me baby with the creator lots of peace and lots of fun......everybody he created having lots of fun lets move the party over to star 1 .......allrite everybody we're moving now to come in for our landing here PLUTO all of you who are in group A send you over to the pludatarium to get plutotized know you can dig that and the rest of the group B i know yall gone have a ball BUT HEY little Miss Birdsong come here YOU FOLLOW ME......come on baby come on down come in baby come on down [[LETS RAZZMATAZZ AND ALL THAT JAZZ LETS TOUCH EACH OTHER LETS TOUCH EACH OTHER LETS RAZZMATAZZ AND ALL THAT JAZZ) {Repeated over COME ON BABY over and over} come on lets say what we mean put our hearts into the real machine . say YEAH say Yes......STOP........well its been a fantastic trip [[ yall cut it out) Come back next week player ITS FUNKYFUL everybody get your heads together be right here on time all we gotta say is TIME FOR THE COUNTDOWN we gonna count down zack we going you ready? 1 fun 2 you 3 me 4 more 5 no jive 6 no tricks 7 we in heaven 8 everything is straight 9 FINE..... TEEEEEN! next week we'll do it again! OWWWW!!!!!!!

i bought it on release and wore the thing out!its still one of favourite albums full stop.
    and i thought it was a reference to cindy too,but then again she was the only birdsong i knew of at the time.
    its a great track tho'!
    i have no real idea to any of the lyrics,its like the book of revelations!
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-26-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    i bought it on release and wore the thing out!its still one of favourite albums full stop.
    and i thought it was a reference to cindy too,but then again she was the only birdsong i knew of at the time.
    its a great track tho'!
    i have no real idea to any of the lyrics,its like the book of revelations!
    I felt the exact same way Tamla. It was one of my favorites. I have to believe he was referring to Cindy Birdsong too. I mean that is not a common name and they both were Motown Artists.

Other cuts from the album I listened to a lot back then were "When Did You Stop Loving Me, When I Did I Stop Loving You" and "Anger"! Great album!

its the only album i can think of that i play front to back in track order.it just doesnt work for me in "random".
    exept live albums,i always play 'em in track order!
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-26-2011 at 03:45 PM.

I remember buying the 12" single and I played it to death.LOVED IT. Love it still.Had to wait a while before I could afford the album. But well worth the wait..Paulo xxxx

Eh I doubt it was really about Cindy but who knows? lol Since the song was part of what the "Here My Dear" concept, I assume it's Anna or a replica of her, hence the words, "it seems like we met a long time baby, I know we ain't never met though, but it seems like I've known you a thousand years!" lol

Haaaaaaaaaaa,hey marv good one here,one of my favs from marvin i have a disc of him performing this mini-classic...love this song!!!

tamla617,

the UK accounts show only two people bought a copy of Hear My Dear in the UK on Vinyl. I was one of them...now I know who the other was!

Mikew-UK

Wrong....there was at least 3!

*smile*

And there was me thinking he mis-sung the lyric which said "songbird"

I did really think that....HAHA

the boy from crosstown,

Super to hear, at least there's three of us. We can occupy one entire table in a pub! It got slated when it came out, as if we cared about reviewers' opinions. We trusted our own ears! Kudos to you!

By the way, I am assuming your name comes from the Velvelettes recordings......I love both versions...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Eh I doubt it was really about Cindy but who knows? lol Since the song was part of what the "Here My Dear" concept, I assume it's Anna or a replica of her, hence the words, "it seems like we met a long time baby, I know we ain't never met though, but it seems like I've known you a thousand years!" lol
    Midnightman! He calls her out by name! I checked the lyrics at 6-7 different sources and he clearly says "But hey little Miss Birdsong come here YOU FOLLOW ME" hehehehe! Cindy was divorced by then and Marvin was heading that way and Cindy was awfully phynnnneeee!!!!! LOL!

When I first heard the song it was pretty clear to me then also.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaa,hey marv good one here,one of my favs from marvin i have a disc of him performing this mini-classic...love this song!!!
    Thanks JAI! Marvin was really into serious groove with this one. I loved the line about "COME ON BABY let's go peace loving and check out this new smoke naw this thing i got it aint classified as dope smoke i got from venus have had it all week......"

Wooooooo!!!! LOL!

Thank you Marv2

I took my moniker from their song.....no originality in this household, I'm afraid

*SMILE*