First of all, I love the song "Message to Michael" whether it be Dionne Warwick or the Marvelettes. It popped up on my playlist yesterday and again today. Listening carefully to the lead singer, I wondered, "That sounds like Wanda, but is it Wanda?" From this forum, I learned that one of the other Marvelettes shared a very similar timbre/quality of her voice with Wanda. This particular vocal lead on this song differs ever so slightly from the voice I have previously associated with Wanda. While still very rich and syrupy sounding, it doesn't have quite the thickness of her other vocals.

Also, I am aware the Andantes provided many of the background voices for the Marvelettes' recordings; however, this doesn't sound like the Andantes to me. Has anyone else surmised that the backgrounds might be the Marvelettes with a little help from some other female singers?

I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions. If your answers are factual [[from being the actual recording sessions yourself or you have learned it from a documented source), I would also love to know that. Thanks.