[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops and Frank Wilson - a discussion of his albums

after HDH left, the Tops really struggled. more so than DRATS. fortunately frank came along and helped revive the group.

Still Waters is a masterpiece - i adore it from beginning to end. the only weak spot is LA My Town, IMO. Bring Me Together is one of the most beautiful songs they recorded

Nature Planned It is another very strong set

Did Frank produce Soul Spin and all of the tracks on it?

I enjoyed most of FW on the tops, but would have preferred Ivy Hunter to have taken them forward.

Me too snakepit.

I love both 'Nature' and 'Still Waters'. My only problem with 'Nature' is the presence of too high a level of female background singing, which I think impedes the sound of the Tops. But I do love Frank Wilson's work and think he did a great job with these lps.

sup_fan have you ever heard the mono version of LA My Town? It has so much more drive and clearer harmonies than the stereo mix, in many ways the same difference between many mid 60s more dynamic mono mixes of songs!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    after HDH left, the Tops really struggled. more so than DRATS. fortunately frank came along and helped revive the group.

Still Waters is a masterpiece - i adore it from beginning to end. the only weak spot is LA My Town, IMO. Bring Me Together is one of the most beautiful songs they recorded

Nature Planned It is another very strong set

Did Frank produce Soul Spin and all of the tracks on it?
    You are right. "Still Waters" was a masterpiece and very popular at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Yes indeed. Along with reviving the Four Tops, Still Waters Run Deep also inspired Marvin Gaye's What's Going On.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    sup_fan have you ever heard the mono version of LA My Town? It has so much more drive and clearer harmonies than the stereo mix, in many ways the same difference between many mid 60s more dynamic mono mixes of songs!
    no but i'll be listening to is ASAP! i have the single version on their 50th Anniversary set.

I love Frank Wilson's work with The Four Tops!!

He did indeed produce 1969's Soul Spin, which is an album I like, but is a bit odd and not really what was going to get The Tops out of the rut they were in at the time, IMO. Still Waters, Changing Times and Nature Planned It were all fantastic. In fact each was better than the last, in my opinion.

However, I would say the only bonafide HIT the group got out of it was probably "Still Water", which is a shame, because their work with Frank deserved more! Why do you think this was?