[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes - He's My Man [The Russell Harty Show - 1975]

im just checking this out now.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post

im just checking this out now.
    I watched this on the original transmission date, but had totally forgotten about it. They did several high profile tv appearances to promote "He's my man" around this time. Thank you for posting. Hopefully some of the other performances will eventually be found.

Is the tape speed slow on this? It sounds at least 2-3 keys too low.

Love the way they drag a hapless Russell Harty to his feet.......Vey funny.
    I never really liked the song, finding it just a tad to cheesy. Definitely should have been a Scherrie lead with Mary perhaps singing the odd line. Have always loved Marys voice, but she takes this song nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Hey thanxal. Your observation got my interest. I checked both out with my metronome and with my digital recording equipment. The video version has the tempo at 111bpm [[beats per minute) while the album version is just a wee bit slower at 108 [[bpm). I will say that the most available album version I had for this comparison was from the version on the 2000 box set on cd.

Never saw this before! This was a great performance by The Supremes; thanks for posting Blackguy69.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Hey thanxal. Your observation got my interest. I checked both out with my metronome and with my digital recording equipment. The video version has the tempo at 111bpm [[beats per minute) while the album version is just a wee bit slower at 108 [[bpm). I will say that the most available album version I had for this comparison was from the version on the 2000 box set on cd.
    Weird. Doesn't it sound in a far lower key than the single to you?

they look great,thought the gowns were all same color until now.
    great video.thank you for sharing it,
    however,sorry to say, Mary sounds awful to me. should let Scherrie sing the entire lead on this

Weird. Doesn't it sound in a far lower key than the single to you?
    Even before my bpm tests, I didn't really perceive of it as being in a lower key. I did check out the key for both versions, and they are both in the key of Db.

Also, on the record version, at sections such as around 1:40, we'll notice that the video performance emphasizes the lower vocal [[is it Mary's) as opposed to the upper vocal lines. That can attribute to it sounding like it's in a lower key. Just my opinion from my observations and listening. It ain't nothing but a chicken wang when it comes down to it for me.
    Last edited by jobucats; 05-27-2019 at 11:27 AM.

The pace was slowed down for the stage act, presumably to accomodate Mary. This was intended to be a Scherrie lead but....In the clarity of the video the gowns look so cheap. Mary was dressing the group to look like hookers. One critic said they looked like drag queens.

The original upload by bluegutter is in the thread titled "Finally A Video We have Not Seen Before". I am not sure but the change in speed may have happened when Wellsley copied it and put the border around it for the version of the clip here.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    they look great,thought the gowns were all same color until now.
    great video.thank you for sharing it,
    however,sorry to say, Mary sounds awful to me. should let Scherrie sing the entire lead on this
    The ladies look sensational, but Mary's voice is just not suited to this kind of song. This aptly demonstrates just why Scherrie should have been given the lead. This song could have been a reasonable sized hit with a better lead vocal. This was a huge missed opportunity. The song received lots of airplay here in the UK, and the girls did several tv spots, but it quite simply refused to chart.

We will never know if a Scherrie led version would have been a hit. It’s also possible that it could have flopped as well.

The original upload. Pity that the guy does not get a credit from the person who 'stole' it!

I remember those gowns now and Mary looked like a million in hers in person - but they are trampled. Cindy’s was a poor color choice - I just can’t understand why their wardrobe became such a challenge to them, but I don’t mind Mary’s lead at all except she’s really needs to enounciate better - as does Scherrie. No record sells on the radio if you can’t get the lyrics easily. I like the two voice approach and blame the producers when lyrics are unintelligible - for heavens sake NO ONE knows what the hell DRTS is singing in the line before “ and there’s something brings them back again” Mary sounds sultry here which works if she could be heard EASILY. I despise the absurd staging of this record - this is The Supremes, not a sophomore dance lip-sync contest.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 05-27-2019 at 12:38 PM.

I've never seen this clip before - so sincere thanks for finding it blackguy69.

What I really like about this clip, is that they were singing it live. I disagree totally that Mary's voice is wrong for this song - her delivery of the song is superb, and complements Scherrie perfectly.

I'm not convinced however that the choreography was good - I can't elaborate what I mean, it just doesn't flow well with the song.

I do remember when this song was released, as I was a teenager and hearing it on the radio [[Radio Trent) was fantastic - and I thought "the Supremes are back" [[even though I didn't realise that Jean was not singing the lead with Mary).

As often happens with some of amazing Motown songs, it didn't enter the charts [[other ones which failed to make an entry include "What's going on" [[Marvin), "If I were your woman" [[Gladys), "Smiling faces sometimes" [[Undisputed) etc).

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post

What I really like about this clip, is that they were singing it live. I disagree totally that Mary's voice is wrong for this song - her delivery of the song is superb, and complements Scherrie perfectly.

I'm not convinced however that the choreography was good - I can't elaborate what I mean, it just doesn't flow well with the song.

I do remember when this song was released, as I was a teenager and hearing it on the radio [[Radio Trent) was fantastic - and I thought "the Supremes are back" [[even though I didn't realise that Jean was not singing the lead with Mary).

As often happens with some of amazing Motown songs, it didn't enter the charts [[other ones which failed to make an entry include "What's going on" [[Marvin), "If I were your woman" [[Gladys), "Smiling faces sometimes" [[Undisputed) etc).
    The other records you mentioned did not have the benefit of mass airplay on radio1 and several high profile tv appearances. There is a big difference.

Hopefully with the emergence of this clip we may also get to see Diana's appearance on the Russell Harty which has not been seen in full for well over 40 years.

We will never know if a Scherrie led version would have been a hit. It’s also possible that it could have flopped as well.
    I think there is a very good chance that a Scherrie led version would have performed better. All speculation of course, but a more forceful and exciting lead vocal could have been the crucial difference between a hit and a flop.

And like I mentioned before with the exception of IGLMHDTW all of the Scherrie led song charted very poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think there is a very good chance that a Scherrie led version would have performed better. All speculation of course, but a more forceful and exciting lead vocal could have been the crucial difference between a hit and a flop.

The song as it was recorded and released made it to number one on the Dance or Disco Chart. I love Mary Wilson's lead vocal on He's My Man. That is how I knew it was the Supremes on first hearing it. It was a good record that needed promotion from the company. It was not easy to find in stores at the time of it's release and I only heard it on the radio a few times.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-27-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    The original upload. Pity that the guy does not get a credit from the person who 'stole' it!

Copley, Wellsey usually gives a credit to the person who originally uploaded the video in comments about the video content section. He's used several of my videos and included a credit.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post

I also thought Mary was great on this song. I also liked "Early Morning Love" with her on lead from the same album.

Mary is perfect for this song with her sultry, sexy voice and teasing lyrics the way they played it. I think they look terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The song as it was recorded and released made it to number one on the Dance or Disco Chart. I love Mary Wilson's lead vocal on He's My Man. That is how knew it was the Supremes on first hearing it. It was a good record that need promotion from the company. It was not easy to find in stores at the time of it's release and I only heard it on the radio a few times.
    It was very easy to find in stores here in the UK and it was all over the radio, but still refused to chart. The public simply did not like the singer, the song or both.

The UK public must’ve didn’t like Scherrie either since none of her Supreme led songs didn’t chart either.
    It was very easy to find in stores here in the UK and it was all over the radio, but still refused to chart. The public simply did not like the singer, the song or both.

Amazing. The company repping Motown in the U.K. was doing a much better job than what was done here in the U.S. I distinctively remember looking for the album in the usually places only to finally find a copy in the Fall of 1975 at Seligman Bros. music store. It was a store that handle sheet music and instruments. They had a small record section in the back where I found the Supremes 1975 album and a copy of the "Bad Weather" 45! It took over 2 years to finally find that one. This was in the Detroit area!

If I remember correctly "Its All Been Said Before" was suppose to be the single with Scherrie on lead. That being said the even though I like the song it was a wrong choice. The hats for the performance was wrong, the mics with cords were wrong and pulling Russ on stage along with the elevated stage was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    If I remember correctly "Its All Been Said Before" was suppose to be the single with Scherrie on lead. That being said the even though I like the song it was a wrong choice. The hats for the performance was wrong, the mics with cords were wrong and pulling Russ on stage along with the elevated stage was wrong.
    There was nothing wrong with that performance. They did a great job. They looked hot!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-27-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post

The "stolen" video was taken down, so if you believe in karma.....
    Never saw this video. It is so much better than the manic version that they sang on Carson's TONIGHT SHOW

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The "stolen" video was taken down, so if you believe in karma.....
    Never saw this video. It is so much better than the manic version that they sang on Carson's TONIGHT SHOW
    The Tonight Show band sucked! The music for this performance is much, much better.

Amazing. The company repping Motown in the U.K. was doing a much better job than what was done here in the U.S. I distinctively remember looking for the album in the usually places only to finally find a copy in the Fall of 1975 at Seligman Bros. music store. It was a store that handle sheet music and instruments. They had a small record section in the back where I found the Supremes 1975 album and a copy of the "Bad Weather" 45! It took over 2 years to finally find that one. This was in the Detroit area!
    That is very strange indeed. The single and album received a lot of promotion over here and were readily available in the local record stores. We had a lot of them back then of course. The girls did a lot of press interviews as well as the tv appearances. Tony Blackburn made "He's my man" his record of the week on his daily radio 1 show which would usually guarantee a hit single but it never happened.
    Then something strange happened. Mary stormed out of an interview with the BBC. I cannot recall the exact details, but it was quite a big fall out and as a result the BBC did not promote the follow up single "early morning love" which also flopped, and that was just about the end of the Supremes as a chart act in the UK.

The song as it was recorded and released made it to number one on the Dance or Disco Chart. I love Mary Wilson's lead vocal on He's My Man. That is how I knew it was the Supremes on first hearing it. It was a good record that needed promotion from the company. It was not easy to find in stores at the time of it's release and I only heard it on the radio a few times.
    there wasn't a national disco chart from Billboard until Aug 76. prior to that there were a few regional/city specific lists. it started in 74 as Disco Action which ranked NY discotheques and djs. then others started popping up in key markets. they began doing a national top 30 in Aug 76 and then this expanded to Top 40.

This could also explain some of the challenges with getting the Sup disco tracks. there wasn't the national exposure that would come for later for disco tunes. things that were popular in the clubs always had a challenge for crossing over and getting onto the general pop charts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Club_Songs

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    there wasn't a national disco chart from Billboard until Aug 76. prior to that there were a few regional/city specific lists. it started in 74 as Disco Action which ranked NY discotheques and djs. then others started popping up in key markets. they began doing a national top 30 in Aug 76 and then this expanded to Top 40.

This could also explain some of the challenges with getting the Sup disco tracks. there wasn't the national exposure that would come for later for disco tunes. things that were popular in the clubs always had a challenge for crossing over and getting onto the general pop charts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Club_Songs
    "He's My Man" went to number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot Dance/Disco Singles Chart. According to Wikipedia. Either way, it was a popular dance song at the time.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-28-2019 at 02:00 PM.

yeah i've been looking around for that too. guessing it was #1 in the NY regional chart which for all practical purposes stood in for a national chart since during 75/76, NYC was one of the epicenters of disco. so i'd guess that dj's in other cities and secondary markets would most likely look to NY

was trying to find out when it hit #1. Hard to believe Walking didn't go #1 on the dance charts either, just #3. and then the 3 songs from MSS [[wheel, let, never knew) only hit #5.

I think Let yourself go should have been #1. IMO it's the strongest of the Sup disco dance tracks