[REMOVE ADS]

This will end up well ...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    This will end up well ...
    Ya think??

Can you sing one Beyonce song from start to finish while remembering all of the words? How about a Dionne Warwick or a Smokey Robinson song?

^ I can't sing a Celia Cruz or Frank Zappa song from start to finish, but does that mean they're not iconic? You or I may not be able to mirror Beyoncé's lyrics, but millions of people around the world can. Dionne is just straight hatin' here. Beyoncé's achievements are etched in stone at this point, and nobody's opinion is going to change that, not even Dionne Warwick's.
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-24-2019 at 05:22 PM.

[QUOTE=sansradio;517414]^ I can't sing a Celia Cruz or Frank Zappa song from start to finish, but does that mean they're not iconic? You or I may not be able to mirror Beyoncé's lyrics, but millions of people around the world can. Dionne is just straight hatin' here. Beyoncé's achievements are etched in stone at this po

In the next 10-15 years when Beyonce's shape has gone South, who is going to want to sit and listen to her "sing" a song? LOL!

Dionne is right and i love her....but we're talking about today's generation,which means that all you have to do is have two or three hits and poof-you're a legend,now of course beyonce has many hits and i think she will have many more,but if she never hits another note today's generation will built a statue to her..what our dear dionne is saying is that in this age of[instant gratification]it's a whole lot easier to become a superstar today without the body of work that she and others of past decades had to put in...it's a different world and ain't nothing we can do but live in it!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    In the next 10-15 years when Beyonce's shape has gone South, who is going to want to sit and listen to her "sing" a song? LOL!
    Not cool, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Not cool, my friend.
    I am sorry but it is the truth as I see it. Would you acknowledge that a great deal of Beyonce's appeal is her physical attractiveness and how she presents herself?

Sigh.....

Beyonce is already an icon. I am not a fan [[I do have her first two albums and enjoyed them both tremendously, but she's been hit or miss since with me, plus her fans are so psychotic that it puts me off the artist) but I'm not blind either. She will go down in history as one of the biggest names ever. Hell a group of fans even have a Beyonce Church! Never mind the demonic-ness of such a thing, but if having a church service for you isn't a sign of someone larger than life, I don't know what is.

I wish our legends would not allow themselves to become embroiled in these kinds of controversies. Aretha was always walking into these traps, now Dionne is doing it. Sometimes it's okay to be honest and say it's hard to judge a singer so outside of one's own generation.

I bet you one thing: Beyonce will never have to do an infomercial for checks in the future.

I am sorry but it is the truth as I see it. Would you acknowledge that a great deal of Beyonce's appeal is her physical attractiveness and how she presents herself?
    Like her or not, the girl is a great entertainer. Her so called attractiveness was used to market her to an extent but she had the entertainment goods to see it through. Vocally I always thought she was kind of all over the place and when I did consider myself a fan of sorts during the 2003-2007 period, I mostly enjoyed the songs not so much because of her but because the songs themselves were good. Aaliyah, Brandy or Monica or any of my other favorites could've sang those songs and I would still enjoy them. Of course it didn't hurt that Beyonce was sexy as hell too, just like it didn't hurt Aaliyah or Monica to be sexy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Dionne is right and i love her....but we're talking about today's generation,which means that all you have to do is have two or three hits and poof-you're a legend,now of course beyonce has many hits and i think she will have many more,but if she never hits another note today's generation will built a statue to her..what our dear dionne is saying is that in this age of[instant gratification]it's a whole lot easier to become a superstar today without the body of work that she and others of past decades had to put in...it's a different world and ain't nothing we can do but live in it!!
    I believe Dionne Warwick is right also.

What is an "icon"? Beyonce is having a significant impact on culture away from music. She's beloved by blacks, whites and others. She takes stands for social justice and is attacked by the right for it. Also, she's had twice as many number one songs and six more top 10 hits than Dionne had. I'm not saying that she's an "icon", but I'd like to know what the definition of the word is because if Beyonce doesn't qualify, then it's possible that Dionne doesn't either. Now, I like both while I'm not a fan of either lady. But if I was being subjective [[impact on culture and industry) or objective [[number of charted hits and records sold), then Beyonce already matches or surpasses Dionne's credentials for being an "icon".

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    What is an "icon"? Beyonce is having a significant impact on culture away from music. She's beloved by blacks, whites and others. She takes stands for social justice and is attacked by the right for it. Also, she's had twice as many number one songs and six more top 10 hits than Dionne had. I'm not saying that she's an "icon", but I'd like to know what the definition of the word is because if Beyonce doesn't qualify, then it's possible that Dionne doesn't either. Now, I like both while I'm not a fan of either lady. But if I was being subjective [[impact on culture and industry) or objective [[number of charted hits and records sold), then Beyonce already matches or surpasses Dionne's credentials for being an "icon".
    From the Oxford English Dictionary [[definition #2): A person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration.

You make quite a persuasive and provocative case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Gotta be in agreement here.

I fail to see Beyonce's talent. I think her voice is Maryish ..... [[Wilson that is.) Very uninteresting and dull....

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I fail to see Beyonce's talent. I think her voice is Maryish ..... [[Wilson that is.) Very uninteresting and dull....
    This is true. But we're not the ones who made her and her husband billionaires. We created our own icons and can be unapologetic about it. But face it: Somewhere along the way, we became our parents and are shaking our heads at this confused generation they way our folks wondered how we could listen to the screeching from four decades ago that we still revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Yeah you say that about Mary Wilson, but people are still paying to hear Mary Wilson sing after 60 years on the stage! Somebody likes her voice. I know I love it!

Yeah you say that about Mary Wilson, but people are still paying to hear Mary Wilson sing after 60 years on the stage! Somebody likes her voice. I know I love it!
    But you dont pay to see Mary Wilson. Shes had concerts in Staten Island and Atlantic City and Shes currently on her 2nd at Cafe Carlyle. You claim to love her voice but youve never been to any of these Mary Wilson shows.

I honestly don't know any Beyonce' songs but she is clearly an icon - she has had a massive impact on her generation.

It's petty and embarrassing when people like Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin start that whining - it comes off as jealousy.

Life goes on; a new generation is not going to love the old singers. Be glad that you did so well.

What it implies to me is that like so many singers and actors, they blew a lot of their money and they are angry and jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    this is true. But we're not the ones who made her and her husband billionaires. We created our own icons and can be unapologetic about it. But face it: Somewhere along the way, we became our parents and are shaking our heads at this confused generation they way our folks wondered how we could listen to the screeching from four decades ago that we still revere.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...jerry,this is why you will be our next president!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I honestly don't know any Beyonce' songs but she is clearly an icon - she has had a massive impact on her generation.

It's petty and embarrassing when people like Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin start that whining - it comes off as jealousy.

Life goes on; a new generation is not going to love the old singers. Be glad that you did so well.

What it implies to me is that like so many singers and actors, they blew a lot of their money and they are angry and jealous.
    No,what's embarrassing is when some guy pokes Diana Ross in her Vjay-jay and gives her the finger. Then the next week she's somewhere starting a fight in an airport pretending that she's been "violated" just to get her name in the press! Now that's embarrassing.

No,what's embarrassing is when some guy pokes Diana Ross in her Vjay-jay and gives her the finger. Then the next week she's somewhere starting a fight in an airport pretending that she's been "violated" just to get her name in the press! Now that's embarrassing.
    The misogynist strikes again. It had to be Dianas fault that some crazed drunk poked her private area while she was busy putting on a show.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with money, anger or jealousy. Many people in Dionne's generation hold the same or similar view as she does about this subject, and they can't all be broke, angry or jealous. But the legends who are so vocally opinionated such as Dionne would do well to use some professional courtesy. Personally I think if you're in the business, a lot of thoughts about ones peers or those in the same profession should remain private. It's just not a good look.

Kinda reminds you of Etta James' throwing shade on Bey's version of her At Last. Not to be outdone, Jennifer Holliday spilling the tea on a new American Idoler, JHud [[the battle of the Jennifer's) over I'm Not Going, which she song in the movie Dreamgirls.