[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah that has been something that's been bothering me for years. The Supremes were capable of doing their OWN special yet they had to have the Temptations too. I wonder if Motown didn't give them the respect they deserved [[Supremes) on their own because they were women? It's been bugging me. They were the most successful American vocal group in music history, why did they have to do a tag team special??? Even the Miracles and the Jackson 5 [[and the Temptations themselves if I'm not mistaken) had their OWN special. They did give Diana her own specials but not the Supremes. I don't get that...
    It was because the Temptations would attract more of the Black and young audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post

around the 4:58 mark no mention of their manager asking. Only Mary asking Lynda if she could do it.
    Mary had always put the group before herself in ways some others never did when it came to the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    TCB was groundbreaking and history for us. I have memories of the TCB LP being played loud in the neighborhood for everyone to hear. This was BIG.
    Yeah. Nowadays people don't think of it and think "wow, that show could've been better" but in 1968, in the middle of the civil rights movement and all that racial tension [[which was way more overt than now though by the way the media reports it, you don't think it is), two powerful groups that happened to be African American/black managed to star in a highly rated television special [[and they did it twice; i.e., the GIT show in '69).