[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1

    Bonnie Pointer ‎- Bonnie Pointer (aka The Purple Album)

    This was Bonnie's second Motown album released in 1979. It contained mostly upbeat covers of classic Motown hits from the 60s, but the one original song on the album was the absolute standout for me. "Deep Inside My Soul" the fourth song on this collection should have been a single. I have never heard her sound this great. Check it out:

    Last edited by marv2; 05-21-2019 at 09:25 AM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This was Bonnie's second Motown album released in 1979. It contain mostly upbeat covers of classic Motown hits from the 60s, but the one original song on the album was the absolute standout for me. "Deep Inside My Soul" the fourth song on this collection should have been a single. I have never heard her sound this great. Check it out:

    I never cared for the insipid covers, but this was indeed a great song that deserved a far better fate than the album did. Should have been a smash hit single.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I never cared for the insipid covers, but this was indeed a great song that deserved a far better fate than the album did. Should have been a smash hit single.

    The red albums my favorite my dear Bluebrock. Bonnies version of Heaven Must Have Sent You is the best IMO and When Im gone is also steller.

    Yours, with every good wish.

    Roberta. xxx
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #4
    Loved both albums but had forgotten the track we're talking about. Will be digging the lp out shortly. I wonder if they'll ever release an expanded CD like the red album back in 2012.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Loved both albums but had forgotten the track we're talking about. Will be digging the lp out shortly. I wonder if they'll ever release an expanded CD like the red album back in 2012.
    "Deep Inside My Soul" was the only reason I continued to listen to this album. I believe she performed it on television once on "The Midnight Special". It does not sound dated at all to me.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Deep Inside My Soul" was the only reason I continued to listen to this album. I believe she performed it on television once on "The Midnight Special". It does not sound dated at all to me.
    So it actually was a single then. On listening to the album again I see what you mean. I can't help myself still stands up imo but the others have dated a bit. Deep inside doesn't suffer from some dubious hand claps. More of a mood than a groove.Lovely track.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So it actually was a single then. On listening to the album again I see what you mean. I can't help myself still stands up imo but the others have dated a bit. Deep inside doesn't suffer from some dubious hand claps. More of a mood than a groove.Lovely track.
    I'm not sure if it was a single, but as the only ballad on the album, she performed it on TV. If it were a single, it may have been a B side. The song to me should have been an A side and promoted.

  8. #8
    I just looked it up and yes it was released as a single in 1979, but did not chart. I also do not remember it being promoted by the company.

  9. #9
    Correction. "Deep Inside My Soul" was released in March 1980 as a single on Motown.

  10. #10
    Yes I'd welcome a BBR style treatment of the Purple Album. Artwork for theRed Album can be seen here. Sounds good. Had both albums on vinyl at one point - not now though.

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57708789601693

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yes I'd welcome a BBR style treatment of the Purple Album. Artwork for theRed Album can be seen here. Sounds good. Had both albums on vinyl at one point - not now though.

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57708789601693
    I still have both of mine, but they have been in storage for well over a decade now.

  12. #12
    I have the LP....I got both the same day... from the cut out bin!....the red one skipped and I tossed it....I actually like Jimmy Mack...there's lots of electronic stuff going on....is that a BANJO(?) break in Lovelight??? Whew!

  13. #13
    Other than me, has anyone ever wondered why Bonnie Pointer's only two Motown LP's were BOTH uncleverly titled "Bonnie Pointer"? Even the front-cover photos were similarly styled. Whatever was Motown thinking?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Other than me, has anyone ever wondered why Bonnie Pointer's only two Motown LP's were BOTH uncleverly titled "Bonnie Pointer"? Even the front-cover photos were similarly styled. Whatever was Motown thinking?
    I figured Motown was trying to be grab attention, especially with the nude shot on the back of the second album. Didn't the second album actually say BONNIE POINTER PURPLE on the spine? I gather if they had gone with a third they would have put its color on the spine as well.

  15. #15
    I really don't know what they were thinking or how much input Bonnie had when it came to the album covers. I think they most wanted to show off the paintings of her. They could have done that in a more imaginative way, in my opinion.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I figured Motown was trying to be grab attention, especially with the nude shot on the back of the second album. Didn't the second album actually say BONNIE POINTER PURPLE on the spine? I gather if they had gone with a third they would have put its color on the spine as well.
    Reese, I don't remember much about the details of that second, purple album. I had both LP's on vinyl at the time, but I ditched my entire record collection back in 1987 when I got into CD's. You may very well be right about the album cover's spine.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I really don't know what they were thinking or how much input Bonnie had when it came to the album covers. I think they most wanted to show off the paintings of her. They could have done that in a more imaginative way, in my opinion.
    Yeah, Marv, I agree. Imagination and creativity were at an all-time low with that purple album. Gotta wonder what Bonnie thought about it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, Marv, I agree. Imagination and creativity were at an all-time low with that purple album. Gotta wonder what Bonnie thought about it.
    Would be interesting to hear Bonnie's opinion on it. I just know that I love the song "Deep Inside My Soul" and how she delivers it. The best thing about the album in my opinion.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Would be interesting to hear Bonnie's opinion on it. I just know that I love the song "Deep Inside My Soul" and how she delivers it. The best thing about the album in my opinion.
    I like that song, too!

  20. #20
    During the last couple of days, I've been spinning Bonnie's albums in remembrance of her. I played the purple album today and it prompted a question from my partner regarding why did Motown decide to release two back to back albums, both as self-titled albums? I decided to search the forum and found this thread. Interesting observation...as yes, the spine of the purple album does indeed say "Purple" on it. When I played this album earlier today, "Deep Inside My Soul" was also the standout for me. I wonder if there's a chance we will ever get this one on CD?

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    During the last couple of days, I've been spinning Bonnie's albums in remembrance of her. I played the purple album today and it prompted a question from my partner regarding why did Motown decide to release two back to back albums, both as self-titled albums? I decided to search the forum and found this thread. Interesting observation...as yes, the spine of the purple album does indeed say "Purple" on it. When I played this album earlier today, "Deep Inside My Soul" was also the standout for me. I wonder if there's a chance we will ever get this one on CD?
    Carlo I would love to have this album on CD. My original vinyl has been stored away now for more than 20 years and I miss some of this great music.

  22. #22
    How about an unofficial Russian Bonnie Pointer II (Purple) CD from Mexico? Well, in common with other releases on the Premium Series they do say remastered from the original master tapes (!).

    What say you ???

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bonnie-Po...wAAOSwQcpe3qQN

  23. #23
    Thanks mysterysinger. Interesting but extremely doubtful that their release was sourced from the original masters. Too bad the shipping is over $30 for a single cd. Outrageous. I have at least one of these 'premium series' CDs...I bought their release of Grace Jones' Fame before I was able to get a hold of the Gold Legion release and then the Universal Disco box set. I'll have to give it a spin tomorrow to see what the sound quality is like.

  24. #24
    Thanks for the info. I just bought a copy for 26 USD (mailing to USA included) from the Mexican seller.

  25. #25
    It was interesting reading some quotes from Bonnie this week in Anita's new book. She discussed the initial idea behind the two albums she did with Motown. She wanted her albums to go beyond being tied to her name, but to be an artistic expression, instantly recognizable by their colours in the record stores. She had planned to make a series of albums, which would be based on the different colours of the rainbow...a red album, purple album, yellow album, etc., but admitted that she unfortunately was not able to get further than beyond those two albums. It's said that her producer/manager husband at the time, Jeffrey Bowen, clashed on a commercial level with Berry Gordy, which led to Bonnie and Jeffrey leaving Motown. It sounds like there were issues with her sudden departure as per her Motown contract, which is why she wasn't able to release another album until 1984, when she signed with Private I Records and released, "If the Price Is Right".

  26. #26
    Shame about that - issues of which I know nothing - but Berry should have been glad since they used many Jobete songs so that any hits would've swelled the coffers. Perhaps they used too many HDH songs. Would be good to know more of what happened.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Thanks for the info. I just bought a copy for 26 USD (mailing to USA included) from the Mexican seller.
    Hope you enjoy it - works out about 21 in GBP so not that bad. Not many will have it on CD and it could be a long long time before anything else comes along.

  28. #28
    I cannot for the life of me understand why Bonnie's purple self-titled album has never had a digital release (CD or otherwise). It's a fantastic album with some terrific cover versions. Sadly, maybe it will take her passing for folks at Motown (or any of the current reissue labels) to put out an expanded edition. Bonnie's legacy deserves better.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    I cannot for the life of me understand why Bonnie's purple self-titled album has never had a digital release (CD or otherwise). It's a fantastic album with some terrific cover versions. Sadly, maybe it will take her passing for folks at Motown (or any of the current reissue labels) to put out an expanded edition. Bonnie's legacy deserves better.
    The first red album had come out quite a few years ago on the BBR reissue label (part of Cherry Red), and I think they had planned to release the purple one eventually. However, the label seemed to stop all output as of 2017. I am surprised no one else picked it up to reissue it. The red album is also now out of print, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see both albums reissued together in the same package, in the not too distant future. I'm also surprised that no one has reissued June's second solo album from '89. I have the original CD but it is quite hard to find.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Hope you enjoy it - works out about 21 in GBP so not that bad. Not many will have it on CD and it could be a long long time before anything else comes along.
    This seller originally wanted $30 just for the shipping alone to Canada, as they claimed too many Canadian customers' orders were being lost, so they would only mail via an expensive expedited delivery method. I can't justify paying that kind of money, especially for a bootleg, so I decided to make my own CD at home (see below), which will hold me over until an official release happens (hopefully)!

    Name:  20200627_180534.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  82.4 KB

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This seller originally wanted $30 just for the shipping alone to Canada, as they claimed too many Canadian customers' orders were being lost, so they would only mail via an expensive expedited delivery method. I can't justify paying that kind of money, especially for a bootleg, so I decided to make my own CD at home (see below), which will hold me over until an official release happens (hopefully)!

    Name:  20200627_180534.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  82.4 KB
    Carlo, don't even think about paying that kind of money for shipping. I don't know of any service that expensive, so the seller is pocketing most of it.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Carlo, don't even think about paying that kind of money for shipping. I don't know of any service that expensive, so the seller is pocketing most of it.
    Right?! Especially for a CD, I mean c'mon!

  33. #33
    There are lots of CDs on eBay that are at great prices and I'd have them if only shipping from the USA to England wasn't so expensive and sometimes almost of a similar magnitude to above.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    There are lots of CDs on eBay that are at great prices and I'd have them if only shipping from the USA to England wasn't so expensive and sometimes almost of a similar magnitude to above.
    Agreed! Shipping costs have gotten out of hand. I remember in the early 2000's, it was common for the shipping cost of one CD to be $5 or less, to/from anywhere in the world. Not anymore!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.