[REMOVE ADS]

The orginal Martha & The Vandellas reunite!

From the Detroit Free Press, the original Martha & The Vandellas reunite at the dedication of the 'Dancing In The Street' park near the Motown museum.
    It is so good to see the originals back together again!:

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...um/3734787002/

Very cool!!!

Here they are singing:

Martha & Original Vandellas

Name:  Martha & Vandellas 20199.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  16.3 KB

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Here they are singing:

Martha & Original Vandellas

Name:  Martha & Vandellas 20199.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  16.3 KB

edafan
    That's a great picture. I am glad they were able to get together for this event. I wished Mrs. Edwards could have been there too. Thanks Edafan.

Nice to see Paul Riser was there...I was wondering about him the other day.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That's a great picture. I am glad they were able to get together for this event. I wished Mrs. Edwards could have been there too. Thanks Edafan.
    No kidding eh Marv!!! I wonder what f the originals V and Martha ever talk?

Martha sound absolutely fantastic !!!

This does the heart good. Glad to see all of them in such good health and high spirits.

Yes, definitely nice to see them together. It's also good that Martha took fewer liberties than usual with the song. Of course she was singing to track which kind of forced her to stick to the original arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Yes, definitely nice to see them together. It's also good that Martha took fewer liberties than usual with the song. Of course she was singing to track which kind of forced her to stick to the original arrangement.
    Is there a video or audio of them singing?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Is there a video or audio of them singing?
    I got the picture from the video from this site:

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...um/3734787002/

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Thank you very much Edafan!

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Wish she would sing like that all the time. Sounded good considering......

How awesome!!!

Interesting comments, as I have to say that Martha sings 'Dancing In The Street' just like that when she performs over here in UK.

She always puts on her best show, but she can and does pitch her voice higher if the occasion moves her, and she feels lifted by the audience response.

I believe Martha has said that the original key on the recording was too high for her. Her younger singing voice did have a harder, strident quality.....but the result on record worked like a charm, whenever heard over transistor and car radios. Especially anywhere with an echo, like parks, large open spaces and fairgrounds. Martha's voice was like a clarion call.

Now, there is a huskiness to her voice...which I like. There is a certain breathlessness at times, but generally her breathing is more controlled , which helps to keep the vibrato quality within bounds. Being Martha, she still likes to improvise and get happy [[of course!), but normally uses her 'whistle register' further back from the mic.

It's also interesting to note and remember just how much younger people consider Martha to be a real stage entertainer. To them, she is a sassy, grand lady with a long history in show business. They don't compare her now with how she sounded or looked in the 60s, because they simply can't remember those days. But they do know and feel her to be authentic.

And Martha is often presenting radio programmes on UK radio, for those same reasons.

Maybe there's a lesson for us all, right there. Not to look back too far, and just enjoy our days right here, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Interesting comments, as I have to say that Martha sings 'Dancing In The Street' just like that when she performs over here in UK.

She always puts on her best show, but she can and does pitch her voice higher if the occasion moves her, and she feels lifted by the audience response.

I believe Martha has said that the original key on the recording was too high for her. Her younger singing voice did have a harder, strident quality.....but the result on record worked like a charm, whenever heard over transistor and car radios. Especially anywhere with an echo, like parks, large open spaces and fairgrounds. Martha's voice was like a clarion call.

Now, there is a huskiness to her voice...which I like. There is a certain breathlessness at times, but generally her breathing is more controlled , which helps to keep the vibrato quality within bounds. Being Martha, she still likes to improvise and get happy [[of course!), but normally uses her 'whistle register' further back from the mic.

It's also interesting to note and remember just how much younger people consider Martha to be a real stage entertainer. To them, she is a sassy, grand lady with a long history in show business. They don't compare her now with how she sounded or looked in the 60s, because they simply can't remember those days. But they do know and feel her to be authentic.

And Martha is often presenting radio programmes on UK radio, for those same reasons.

Maybe there's a lesson for us all, right there. Not to look back too far, and just enjoy our days right here, right now.
    Nobody can work the stage like Martha. She possess a certain presence and I wish she would have ventured into acting. Imagine Martha playing a powerful political or Legal role. When I worked in the Renaissance Center in Detroit I would run into her quite a bit and she just has this amazing Personna about her and she’s a fantastic listener .

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Nobody can work the stage like Martha. She possess a certain presence and I wish she would have ventured into acting. Imagine Martha playing a powerful political or Legal role. When I worked in the Renaissance Center in Detroit I would run into her quite a bit and she just has this amazing Personna about her and she’s a fantastic listener .
    Martha is a right on, no nonsense lady. I learn something every time I speak with her.