[REMOVE ADS]

The Making of Motown Acquired by Showtime

About time... was waiting on new news about this.

Thanks so much for sharing this news! I'm so looking forward to this documentary from Showtime on Motown and now I know it's coming in the fall.

This article doesn't provide anything new that we didn't know. We knew it was coming to Showtime. It had been originally slated to air in April, but then it got pushed back to the fall. There's no information about how long it is, the date it will air, no trailer, etc.

I'm a bit confused though. They say this is the first Motown documentary to have Gordy's involvement. Wasn't he involved with Motown 40? He had participation in that and he opened the archives to include never-before-seen footage and he was extensively interviewed.

Thanks for posting, JRob - I knew this was in the making so it's great to see it finally acquired for broadcast.

Is this the same documentary that was supposed to be a feature film or an entirely different project? Looking forward to it, nevertheless.

Does anyone know if this is going to be a one night deal or carried over several nights?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Does anyone know if this is going to be a one night deal or carried over several nights?
    It is described as a feature-length documentary and it will have a theatrical release in the UK, so my guess is that it runs around two to two and half hours, so it probably will be a one night affair

Thanks. I am going to have to miss this one. I got rid of Showtime and other premium channels when I got Netflix and Hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thanks. I am going to have to miss this one. I got rid of Showtime and other premium channels when I got Netflix and Hulu.
    In wonder if any earth shattering info will be revealed in this documentary? If there is a lot of new info, too bad they couldn’t turn it into a 3 part mini series.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    In wonder if any earth shattering info will be revealed in this documentary? If there is a lot of new info, too bad they couldn’t turn it into a 3 part mini series.
    At this point in time and as much as I and others have watch, researched and discussed Motown, there will be nothing Earth Shattering in the documentary for me.

Is it really called 'Hitville....' as Variety calls it more than once!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Is it really called 'Hitville....' as Variety calls it more than once!
    It is called ‘Hitsville: The Making of Motown’

I can't wait to see this on Showtime and then own the blu ray DVD

This will, like all Motown material, be worth seeing.

Will there by tons of new information? Highly unlikely at this stage.

I think Berry has been involved to some extent on many of the previous productions - maybe not the head, totally hands on guy, but he's had input before.

The Gordy family sticks together; they all want the legacy upheld and maintained and generally, all the artists seem to agree with them.

I doubt there will be any new information in this and it will have a Gordy narrative slant to it so it won’t be totally factual and will gloss over any negativity regarding Gordy, Ross, Robinson, etc. I’m just looking forward to seeing the footage from the vaults.

I wish this was airing on another platform other than Showtime. I hope it will be available on Netflix, Hulu, etc.