[REMOVE ADS]

I Feel Love Coming On

I have just stumbled across this song, having forgotten about it for many years. Wow, doesn't it sound like a Motown song! I can almost hear the trademark Motown foot-stomps/hand-claps where Felice Taylor is speaking between verses.

https://youtu.be/7ZFjDsDrl-w

Barry White produced It & he was going for the 'Diana Ross' sound.
    Felice was a big hit in the UK; she toured here, did TV here & even recorded here BUT she had a very high opinion of herself & so [[in the end), everyone gave up on her [[& her tantrums).
    Attachment 20725
    Last edited by jsmith; 06-06-2023 at 06:41 AM.

Unless things have changed, I believe I read once that Felice never even recorded enough material to have an album back then or a Best of collection later. If so, too bad because I liked Winter and I Feel Love very much, even though they were totally different tempos.

She kept falling out with her record companies [[Groovy, Cadet, Mustang, Kent), so only cut 4 / 5 / 6 tracks for each. She then cut some tracks in the UK for President.
    She had 10 tracks out in the UK, but 3 of them were just instro B sides to her vocal versions.
    Last edited by jsmith; 06-07-2023 at 03:38 AM.

In true Barry White style [[early version) Felice Taylor also recorded "It May Be Winter Outside" and "I'm Under The Influence Of Love" - both of which were later recorded by Love Unlimited as much nicer versions and became hits in the UK.

My favourite Felice Taylor track from this period has always been 'I Can Feel Your Love' which I first heard via this excellent Kent compilation : -

Then many thanks to YT, I found the single version many years later, which was a different mix with additional instrumentation : -

But thanks for reminding us about IFLCO rovereab - it was another great track by her!

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 06-06-2023 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Barry White produced It & he was going for the 'Diana Ross' sound.
    Felice was a big hit in the UK; she toured here, did TV here & even recorded here BUT she had a very high opinion of herself & so [[in the end), everyone gave up on her [[& her tantrums).
    Attachment 20725
    Barry must have been living, breathing, sleeping and dreaming the Motown Sound of '66/'67 because this isn't just a Motown sound-alike, it's an absolute dead ringer for the Detroit Studio sound. Motown had a drum sound on some records that sounded like someone using the bottom of a steel barrel as a drum head [[the Four Tops' Standing In The Shadows of Love," the Supremes' "Reflections," Stevie Wonder's "Hey Love") and this record has that sound down cold. Even the upfront wall-of-tambourine sound is just right here.

I'm amazed Felice wasn't sought out as Diana's replacement in the Supreme because she's got THAT sound covered left, right, and every which way. I'd honestly not heard of her until this thread but I love this record. A real shame her career wasn't bigger all around.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I have just stumbled across this song, having forgotten about it for many years. Wow, doesn't it sound like a Motown song! I can almost hear the trademark Motown foot-stomps/hand-claps where Felice Taylor is speaking between verses.

https://youtu.be/7ZFjDsDrl-w
    Thank you for bringing this out to the light! This is entirely new to me and what a glorious record! Motown could have put this very record out as is and I don't think anyone would have thought it wasn't done at their studio. Now I will have to check out her records. It's always exciting to find things like this that are "new" [[to me)! Thanks again rovereab!

Felice went international too [[following her UK hits) ...
    You could say, she had INFLUNCE .... Attachment 20728

Over in the UK in Nov 67 and on both the UK pop charts [[#11) & the R&B chart [[#2) ...
    Attachment 20729

When I saw her at the Seville in London, the British band they gave her were so underrehearsed that she kept looking worriedly behind her as if she was wondering just what mistake they were going to make next.

Her vocals on "I Feel Love Coming On" were very good live, but I can't remember what else she sang.
    Last edited by 144man; 06-08-2023 at 01:51 PM.

Did you mean @ the Saville Theatre ? Brian Epstein & the Beatles place ..
    Name:  SavilleThMont67.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  111.5 KB

Apparently, lovely Irish girl Dana got to number 66 UK with her version in 1982. Just shows it takes all kinds of everything.

And Love Unlimited orchestra

But back to Felice Taylor with a bored audience in winter

Felice and her two sisters recorded a few songs as the group The Sweets. I think that they are pretty good.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/608245-The-Sweets

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Did you mean @ the Saville Theatre ? Brian Epstein & the Beatles place ..
    Name:  SavilleThMont67.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  111.5 KB
    Yeah, that's the one.