[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. The Marvelttes "Destination: Anywhere"

    You only get to hear a scant few seconds of it (I'm sure that has to do with liscensing rights) but I've been talking with a guy who was a DJ and he sent me a link to one of his airchecks. The guy PLAYED THE MARVELTTES' "DESTINATION: ANYWHERE" on his show back in the day! So great to hear that this song was getting airplay on the radio back then. P.S. I just heard the Four Tops' "I'm In A Different World" too. The guy has excellent taste!



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saxZH47e-qA

  2. #2
    I love hearing old airchecks from radio stations around the country. Thanks
    WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance

  3. Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love hearing old airchecks from radio stations around the country. Thanks
    WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
    You're welcome Marv! If I could only find the air check of me as a guest on a local radio show when I was in high school. The guy was so impressed that I knew all these old doo wop and 60s songs that he invited me down to the station. He actually offered to teach me how to run the board and maybe do a few days on my summer vacation. Well, I got on the air and promptly almost got the station into hot water by downgrading a competing radio station, lol! He got me off the air VERY fast! That's one air check that could make for great comedy!

  4. #4
    That's funny, WaitingWatching! Getting kicked off sounds like something that could only happen to Lucy Ricardo! The summer I graduated from high school, I won a contest from our local A.M. radio station to be a DJ for a night, so I know the thrill of what you were doing. I didn't get kicked off, but I should have. I was terrible! They gave me a full reel-to-reel tape recording of my show which included my personal salute to Motown. Fun, but... never again!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    You're welcome Marv! If I could only find the air check of me as a guest on a local radio show when I was in high school. The guy was so impressed that I knew all these old doo wop and 60s songs that he invited me down to the station. He actually offered to teach me how to run the board and maybe do a few days on my summer vacation. Well, I got on the air and promptly almost got the station into hot water by downgrading a competing radio station, lol! He got me off the air VERY fast! That's one air check that could make for great comedy!
    Oh that is a great story! LOL! I, myself was chose as "Student of the Week" by radio station WKLR the Soul station in Toledo, OH in 1973. I had to read off stuff about my favorite classes, teachers, hobbies, artists etc. Years later, I was a campus DJ on my college radio station KAOS briefly. In recent years TJ Lubinsky had me on his station out of Jersey when I called in to request something by "The Miracles" LOL!

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    That's funny, WaitingWatching! Getting kicked off sounds like something that could only happen to Lucy Ricardo! The summer I graduated from high school, I won a contest from our local A.M. radio station to be a DJ for a night, so I know the thrill of what you were doing. I didn't get kicked off, but I should have. I was terrible! They gave me a full reel-to-reel tape recording of my show which included my personal salute to Motown. Fun, but... never again!
    The funny thing is, I actually didn't get kicked off, but more or less cut me off while I was talking and announced the next record really quick. I thought, um...did I do something wrong? The station I downgraded was called Magic 104 and they played oldies. Only thing is it was one of those corporate stations, so they played the same 5 songs over and over. Before we went on the air, the DJ and I were talking about how bad they were and he jokingly referred to them as "TRAGIC 104"! I thought that was funny...and 100% accurate!

    Well, I didn't know that saying something like that could get the station busted for libel (or whatever it is) and I went on the air saying how much more I liked this local station than TRAGIC 104! That's when the DJ cut me off! Off air, he explained that I couldn't say something like that. He actually still offered me the opportunity to return and learn to do the show! What happened next was EXACTLY out of "I LOVE LUCY".

    The station was running a contest of some sort. Win a TV or something. The day I went back to start my first day of training, I met one of the other DJs. I had been introduced to him before so he knew men. He told me that things had changed at the station and "my" DJ had been fired. Seems the station was not operating on the level and he finally had gotten fed up. They weren't paying him and he threatened to go to the FCC and blow the whistle on the station's crooked contests and other things. So the station owner fired him. The DJ who told me all this knew his days were numbered too as the owner was going to automate the station. Well, about a week after all this went down, the station went dark. I don't know who said what, or what happened, but the whole station was off the air and never returned. If eventually went to a Spanish format!

    So you see, you were right! My experience was pretty much straight out of a Lucy episode! I think you win, because at least you got ALL THE WAY onto the air, lol!

  7. Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh that is a great story! LOL! I, myself was chose as "Student of the Week" by radio station WKLR the Soul station in Toledo, OH in 1973. I had to read off stuff about my favorite classes, teachers, hobbies, artists etc. Years later, I was a campus DJ on my college radio station KAOS briefly. In recent years TJ Lubinsky had me on his station out of Jersey when I called in to request something by "The Miracles" LOL!
    Marv, that is so cool! Especially the fact that you met TJ Lubinsky! I know he does a lot of great PBS specials featuring the Motown artists as well as a lot of the classic R&B 70's artists. I'd really like to sit and hear about some of your experiences sometime!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh that is a great story! LOL! I, myself was chose as "Student of the Week" by radio station WKLR the Soul station in Toledo, OH in 1973. I had to read off stuff about my favorite classes, teachers, hobbies, artists etc. Years later, I was a campus DJ on my college radio station KAOS briefly. In recent years TJ Lubinsky had me on his station out of Jersey when I called in to request something by "The Miracles" LOL!
    As soon as I saw the name Lubinsky and the word Jersey I wondered, "Is he related to Herman Lubinsky, the founder of Savoy Records?" Turns out he's Herman's grandson.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    As soon as I saw the name Lubinsky and the word Jersey I wondered, "Is he related to Herman Lubinsky, the founder of Savoy Records?" Turns out he's Herman's grandson.
    There was some guy at Al Abrams funeral that I spoke that knew him. Really older guy.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

    So you see, you were right! My experience was pretty much straight out of a Lucy episode! I think you win, because at least you got ALL THE WAY onto the air, lol!
    "Tragic 104"! LOL! The way it all turned out, falling apart so mysteriously as it did, sounds more like Lucy Meets The Twilight Zone!

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    "Tragic 104"! LOL! The way it all turned out, falling apart so mysteriously as it did, sounds more like Lucy Meets The Twilight Zone!
    I'm going to tell you, Gary, my entire life, there are things that have happened that make me feel as if I'm one big walking sitcom- or Twilight Zone episode. From getting stuck in an elevator to getting stuck in a McDonald's restroom (they had to literally pry the door off the hinges!) to falling through a floor (right into a crawl space, so it was only a 4 foot drop), I've had it all, baby!

  12. #12
    Gosh, you really ARE Lucy! You don't take after any strangers, Waiting. My life has been Lucy-like, too, except mine hasn't been quite so frightening nor as dangerous as yours. Falling through a rotten floor into a crawl space is pretty terrifying -- especially if you live here in the south where poisonous snakes and spiders could be living in those crawl spaces. My life has been full of more annoying-type stuff like.... Well, take, for example, when I was 16, my mother drove me to the local DMV to take my driver's test. She was short, so she had the seat all the way forward so that she could reach the brake and gas pedal. When it became my turn for the road test, I got behind the wheel and the driving instructor sat down in the passenger seat beside me. I'm tall and long-legged, mind you. When I reached down to release the seat lock and slide the seat back, the damned thing broke and the seat wouldn't slide back. I had to take my entire road test with my knees under my chin. The instructor passed me with flying colors. In fact, he said, "If you can drive this good under these conditions, you can drive anywhere." As usual throughout my life, things have a way of turning out okay for me, but what you've gotta go through to get there is annoying as all get-out! There's been a sit-com's worth of other Lucy-like antics which have actually happened to me over the years -- all of which were both annoying AND embarrassing, but I wouldn't dare go into them here.

    Oh, BTW, I love The Marvelettes' "Destination: Anywhere." Should have been a huge hit.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-18-2019 at 02:09 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I'm going to tell you, Gary, my entire life, there are things that have happened that make me feel as if I'm one big walking sitcom- or Twilight Zone episode. From getting stuck in an elevator to getting stuck in a McDonald's restroom (they had to literally pry the door off the hinges!) to falling through a floor (right into a crawl space, so it was only a 4 foot drop), I've had it all, baby!
    LOL! I know exactly what you mean. Before I moved to New York and was just a semi-regular visitor, my experiences were almost as if I was in a movie! LOL!!! I can't even talk about some of the stuff,but 95% of it was really great.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.