[REMOVE ADS]

Industry Lashes Out at Mariah, Beyoncé and Usher For Playing for Qaddafi

Industry Lashes Out at Mariah, Beyoncé and Others Who Played for Qaddafi's Family

'For very, very wealthy American and British pop stars to take part in this kind of thing makes me want to puke'

Share By Steve Knopper
    February 25, 2011 12:05 PM ET
    Over the past few years, some of music’s biggest names, including Mariah Carey, Usher and Beyoncé, have taken as much as a million dollars to play private shows for the family of Libya’s brutal dictator, Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi – a man who this week ordered security forces to open fire on citizens protesting his rule, killing as many as "thousands," according to a UN official. During New Year's Eve events on the Caribbean island of St. Barts in 2009, Carey received $1 million to sing four songs for one of Colonel Qaddafi’s sons, according to news reports and music-business sources, while Beyoncé and Usher played for an undisclosed fee the following year.

But now that Qaddafi's security forces have brutally cracked down on protesters throughout Libya, many in the music business are stepping up their public criticisms of the participating stars. "When I saw Beyoncé and Usher and whoever else was out partying with these Libyan criminals … these are people who have stolen tens of billions of dollars from their nation," says Howie Klein, former president of Reprise Records who is now a prominent leftist blogger. "What they all have in common is they're all kleptocracies – they've got a family stealing all the money. And for very, very wealthy American and British pop stars to take part in this kind of thing makes me want to puke."

"People put a big paycheck on the table, and people don't consider where the money is coming from, or what they're at least passively endorsing," adds David T. Viecelli, agent for Arcade Fire and many other acts. "I don't want to specifically say Beyoncé or Mariah Carey behaved unethically, because I don't know all the details. But if it's true that Muammar Qaddafi's son says, 'I've got $50 million, come and play for my buddies,' I really think you have to say no to that. Given what we know about Qaddafi and what his rule has been about, you have to willfully turn a blind eye in order to accept that money, and I don't think it's ethical."

The artists' reps declined comment: "No statement," said a rep for Randy Phillips, the AEG Live concert promoter who manages Usher. Asked if he had any comment, Chris Lighty, who manages Mariah Carey and other pop megastars, responded: "None. I mean, you know, nah." Beyoncé's management company, run by her father, Mathew Knowles, did not return phone calls.

Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi – a man who this week ordered security forces to open fire on citizens protesting his rule, killing as many as "thousands," according to a UN official. During New Year's Eve events on the Caribbean island of St. Barts in 2009, Carey received $1 million to sing four songs for one of Colonel Qaddafi’s sons, according to news reports and music-business sources, while Beyoncé and Usher played for an undisclosed fee the following year.
    The problem with this criticism is THE TRUTH!

The article points out that these performers performed in 2009 & 2010. It also points out that it was just this week, that Qaddafi ordered his troops to fire on civilians.

So unless these artists were clairvoyant enough to know that he would do such a thing when they performed a year or two before he actually did this heinous act, then the statements in the article by Mr. Klein are both misleading, as they are unfair.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    The problem with this criticism is THE TRUTH!

The article points out that these performers performed in 2009 & 2010. It also points out that it was just this week, that Qaddafi ordered his troops to fire on civilians.

So unless these artists were clairvoyant enough to know that he would do such a thing when they performed a year or two before he actually did this heinous act, then the statements in the article by Mr. Klein are both misleading, as they are unfair.
    But he was responsible for many other heinous acts prior to this year, most prominently the Lockerbie hijacking from the late 1980's.

Smark:

That may well be true, but we have artists whom have performed for folks right here at home whom are or were alligned with folks whom were or are guilty of some prety nasty things as well. If folks only performed for folks that were squeaky clean or not afilliated with folks of dubious partnerships, then a whole lot of performers would starve. Some industry folks either had or have the same type of ties that this gentleman is complaining about.

A key line in the criticism is here & the wording is rather interesting:
    But now that Qaddafi's security forces have brutally cracked down on protesters throughout Libya, many in the music business are stepping up their public criticisms of the participating stars.
    Notice that these folks weren't voicing criticisms before, but only AFTER recent events. This criticism didn't address any of his prior offenses, only recent ones. Where was their outrage before?

THAT'S what I find to be hypocritical, as it seems rather revisionist in nature. Like this passage, for example...
    "When I saw Beyoncé and Usher and whoever else was out partying with these Libyan criminals … these are people who have stolen tens of billions of dollars from their nation," says Howie Klein, former president of Reprise Records who is now a prominent leftist blogger. "What they all have in common is they're all kleptocracies – they've got a family stealing all the money. And for very, very wealthy American and British pop stars to take part in this kind of thing makes me want to puke."
    If this is true, then why was this only recently voiced? This is nothing more than the equivalent of folks whom seek to distance themselves from a crooked politician only AFTER he/she does something terrible that is brought into the light.

Certainly he knew about the Colonel's proclivities before this past week. If Klein is speaking up NOW, why didn't he speak out THEN

His timing is more than a little curious & while Klein makes reference to both American AND British performers, I find it rather interesting that the only names referenced in this criticism just happen to be minorities.

I also find it interesting that his disgust & outrage is voiced only AFTER he left the business.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 02-26-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Big assed deal! They got paid and paid VERY WELL! How many well known celebrities performed for George Bush and we all know about the things he did! Big bunch of hypocrites!

Hmmm...George W. Bush opened diplomatic relations with Libya a few years ago...

it reminds me when many in the music buisness were upset stars such as Queen and Dolly Parton played Sun City and of course recently Naomi Campbells blood diamound..lets face it stars can be greedy - I aim that at no one in particular but many wouldnt know about local politics in the places they play..its just another gig and then you get someone like Sinatra who wanted to sing at the Cal Neva hotel and be damned,,theres an unsavioury element to showbuisness from crooks to hoodlums to dictators have fallen for the charms of stars...

gaddafi was/is always capable of ordering his minions of killing in numbers,if only it was lockerbie .so you,i,anybody doesnt need to be a crystal ball gazer to work it out.he's a dictator thats what dictators do.
    the industry should have spoken before now if they're so bothered or are they so nieve.or do they just want the publicity?
    the performers that took his money are beneath contempt.
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-26-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    gaddafi was/is always capable of ordering his minions of killing in numbers,if only it was lockerbie .so you,i,anybody doesnt need to be a crystal ball gazer to work it out.he's a dictator thats what dictators do.
    the industry should have spoken before now if they're so bothered or are they so nieve.or do they just want the publicity?
    the performers that took his money are beneath contempt.
    Exactly! I agree. We place too much emphasis and importantance on performers. They are not always the brightest people or hold the highest moral standards believe it or not.

It has now come out that Gadaffi DID order the bombing of PAN AM 103. I was a PAN AM Flight attendant at the time, and I lost some very close friends on that flight. Beyonce and co, MUST have been aware that he repressed his people and sponsored state terrorism. AND DONT GET ME STARTED on all the political leaders who courted him the last couple of years just to get access to his oil fields. Hope the bastard rots in hell..and all that supported him. And by that, I mean our two faced lying,coniving Western goverments...A VERY ANGRY UPSET PAULO....XXXX P.S.Kicking of in The Ivory Coast, Morocco to name just two. David Cameron, the British P.M. in Middle East with British Arms Dealers. Not content with wrecking the British Economic recovery, he wants to sell arms to some of the most repressive goverments in the the Middle East.

paulo
    some very good friends of mine were on the royal airforce aircraft recovery flight [[team) aka "crash and smash" it was their job to recover the wreckage [[all of it) and bodies from lockerbie and for miles around [[up to 60 miles away,some of it) it took 8 weeks min.all over the christmas period.towards the end of the lockerbie opperation,a british midland 737 crashed on the M1 motorway at kegworth [[google it) and their senior officer [[ a git called chris pye)decided they could go direct from the biggest plane "crash"[[wasnt a crash) in uk history,and still is,to recover the plane on the motorway.you can imagine the state of the blokes that were at lockerbie,you can imagine the answer they gave that idiot chris pye.i know it was along time ago, but sorry you lost friends and collegues on pa103.if you want to know any more about the recovery job ask otherwise i'll leave it at that

tamla617..Thanks.. I know all about what you stated. I was based at Heathrow, and was involved in the crisis management team for employees affected by the atrocity. We, at PAN AM got a LOT of negative press regarding lax security ect. Dont forget, WE were hurting as well. Something the press never stated or understood. We knew it was a bomb pretty soon before it came out in the media. Took some time to prove the Libyan connection. Pan Am was my life for 19 years and Lockerbie was the final nail in the coffin for us. We lurched on for a couple of more years before United and Delta bought up our crown jewels and we were left to die. I flew with United for 2 years after. It was like being forced to dance with man who raped you.

we knew it was a bomb as soon as we saw the forward fuselage in that field.normal structural failure doesnt look anything like that.
    jimmy carter started the demise of pan-am thru' de regulation,their 747-121 fleet was the original batch from boeings 70/71 and hadnt updated 'cept for 747sp's and tristar 500's neither of which were any use to pan ams operations which we ended up [[tristars)with in the airforce,and some aircraft got when they took over national airlines.i also worked on ex pan am airbus 310s straight from nevada desert storage.
    i dont remember the talk of the crewroom being about lax pan-american security,it was more to do with the lax airport security and unaccompanied luggage and the cock ups made at franfurt am main,the origin of some the pax and the bomb in a portable cassette player/radio went on there.something that was sorted out,all baggage must have a passenger on the plane not much use now with suicide bombers tho'.but we were in the industry and understood how and how not to do it.
    if i've remembered correctly pan am103 started as a 727 out of frankfurt and transfered pax and baggage to the 747 full on the pre christmas rush.i think the original plane tasked went sick.that would have put the original 103 somewhere over the atlantic went it blew,as it would have flown direct to the u.s.taking a bulk of evidence to the bottom of it.
    i was working at heathrow aswell btw early 90's
    when i was a kid i used to ride my bike 'round in the pan am hangar [[south side) great security! but that was 1968/69
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-26-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Yes it was a 727 Frankfurt to LHR. The 747 onto JFK was late departing due the normal air traffic delays at Heathrow. It was normal for the transfer of baggage one to other to be loaded without inspection, as this was [[supposed) to be done Frankfurt. Bcause of the late departure flight 103 blew apart over Lockerbie, and not over the Atlantic, where any clues as to what happened would probably never have surfaced.Where were you working at Heathrow by the way? You biking around our hanger too? Do you remember 707/727/747s parked there overnight. Ah, the good old days. I remember the Tristars going to the RAF. Flew the A310 but dont know what happened to those after we closed down..Paulo xxx

paulo
    i remember watching pan-am straocruisers,dc-6's,dc-7's on my 1st visit to lhr [[north terminal,bath road,about opposite mcdonalds) aged 3!remember it well
    dad bought me a pan-am lapel badge too!
    i was there for the 1st 707-121 service,1st dc-8-30 service,1st 747-121 service.all pan-am!

pan american one of THE great airlines and owner juan trippe [[played by alec baldwin in the aviator film) a trail blazer.
    between them,pan-am,howard hughs at TWA and imperial airways/BOAC/british airways set the routes and make flying what it is today.
    as a kid i used to go to lhr every weekend and summer evenings.it led to my job working far and wide on aircraft.
    i worked at ba 747 hangar TBJ,BMI hangar,the old BEA hangars [[now gone) T1,T2 and T3 central,and T4 south side.i was a freelance aircraft mech so moved 'round alot.i was also heathrow operations mananger for an airfield support firm,which was crap,more hassle and stress and heartache than they paid me for!
    those a310s were flown from to bristol from the nevada desert deep storage site for conversion to all freighter config,which is what i was involved with,we did 2 of them,i think they ended up in either russia or turkey!if you have your logbook and want to check they were N812PA and N816PA.JUST CHECKED 812PA ENDED UP F-BYGP SABIR AIRLINES [[RUSSIAN!) 816PA TO DIAMOND SAKHA F-BYGM [[also russian)
    you sound like you were 'round the airport in the 60's too,were you?
    if you're interested i have the history of pan-am to about 1969/70,i'd have to photocopy it,[[magazine article,air pictorial,ran for about 4 monthly issues) let me know.
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-27-2011 at 03:04 PM.

YES!! I was around Heathrow in the 60s. Lived in Harlington. Remember seeing a Monarch Bristol Brtannia on the northside on the way to school which was very unusual. Must have been 8 or 9 at the time. Do Remember the Pan Am 707s and DC8s and never thought I would end up spending 19 years with the company. I would very much appreciate copies of what you have. let me know so I can give you details etc..Paulo xxx

Tamla617..What a small world. Yes I flew on both those birds. Last was from DTW to LHR just before United took over the Heathrow operation. Was too young to remember the Strats and DC6 / DC7 etc. I started at Pan Am on the 747. Was qualified also on the 727-100/727-200/737-200/Tristar-500. Oh, almost forgot..747.SP...OH, OF COURSE AIRBUS A300/310 although never worked on the bigger airbus, as we only saw it on the Internal German Service, which I never worked. 707s /720s were gone when I was hired. and DC10s inherited from the National Ailines merger only crossed the Atlantic on charters...Paulo xxxx

Now they're suggesting that artists need to return money from these shows...

http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...2496&gt1=28102

First of all, it should be noted that the vast majority of these artists have NO IDEA of who's hired them. The vast majority of artists have business managers & booking agents who handle this end of things.

Another thing that sucks is that all of these folks whom are addressing this now have been silent for so long about these kind of appearances. I also know that they're latching on to this recent situation because it's fresh in the news, but if they find his behavior to be so appalling [[which of course it is), then why haven't they been speaking out about it before now?

Furthermore, why don't they address ALL performers whom have been hired for private gigs like this by ALL meglomaniacs in recent years?

For example, I see that they've mentioned 50 Cent & are talking about a gig that he did nearly 6 years ago? Given the Colonel's bent toward committing atrocities, why wasn't anyone speaking out back then? I despise despots & the murdering of innocent people, but I despise hypocrites as well. I find all of their sudden concern, ESPECIALLY when it comes from folks whom have left the industry.

Instead of jumping on bandwagons after the fact, I'd be more inclined to trust in their sincerity had they spoken out all along.

Please pardon my cynicism, but all of this sounds like nothing more than a few folks looking for a fresh spotlight to me.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 03-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Tamla & Paulo...

My remarks are not addressed to you, as I can definitely feel your pain & can understand how horiffic it must've been to have dealt with such tragedy.

[QUOTE=juicefree20;38731]Now they're suggesting that artists need to return money from these shows...

http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...2496&gt1=28102

First of all, it should be noted that the vast majority of these artists have NO IDEA of who's hired them. The vast majority of artists have business managers & booking agents who handle this end of things."

That is a valid point. The artists may not have known where or whom they were contracted to perform for until after the arrangements were made and contracts were final. Your "agents" ,work on a commision $$ and I doubt if they really give a damn about political issues ,though as the principal performer ,that should be taken into consideration and the principal performer should in their own interest make those issues of any political considerations a point to be addressed and considered by their representatives. Still as the one being represented ,one still has to accept some responsibility for the actions of those who represent them. I think it's fair to give the benefit of doubt ,that if the principals had known before hand who they were to perform for ,they may have made other choices ,but at a certain point when arrangements are final ,it could cost more to get out of the contract than to go through it. I don't believe that ALL artists are that ignorant of world issues and so full of themselves to not have an personal point of view on political issues and human rights ,and the opinions of others regarding their actions. So "2 tears in a bucket" ,best thing to do now at tihs point is to learn from what has happend and tighten up your business team so it don't happen again ,and express that you won't go back ,because of those issues. As for giving the money back ,that's not gonna happen ,chances are that money is long spent or has been otherwise invested if your smart. The best one could do as damage control is to give some money directly to the causes of those that were affected by the negative actions of those you originally got the money from, and clarify your actions. Come down off the horse before those that will try to knock you off it ,come a knocking.
    Another point I have , is that as piss poor as I am compared to the persons involved ,I have a big problem with others that count and comment and express how I should spend my money. But as Biggie said ,"Mo Money,Mo Problems.

juice
    no offence taken,cheers.

paulo
    those monarch brits,were there because they were diverted from luton.being on a hill it gets fog bound on a regular basis.the landing aids etc were not up to it back then so they had to land elsewhere.i ended up working on those both in the RAF and at monarch's and britannia airways.
    i'll contact you thru' private message regarding pan-am history

I noticed a news report this morning that said Nelly Furtado was giving to a charity, the million dollars she was paid by Qaddafi.

I agree that very often, the artist wouldn't know who they are playing for or who is paying them. And I'm sure, they are now very uncomfortable and the bigger the name, the greater the discomfort.

But perhaps some of them donate a great deal to charity and already did so with some of this money.

This is a difficult issue. It reminds me of the articles in Billboard, I believe in the 1970's when the Supremes came under some intense criticism for appearing in South Africa I think it was - Sun City. I forgot how they came to be booked there and I think one of them or some of them, wouldn't go.

I think if I were Beyonce or Usher or Mariah, I'd cough the money back to some refugee agency - maybe a million dollars isn't that much to them. It would help my conscience; even though I didn't do anything wrong, the association would make me very uncomfortable.

Though I suspect that much of that money is long gone, from a P.R. standpoint, it might be a good idea for them to find a good charity to contribute to.

Just once, I'd like to see folks like this make a PRE-EMPTIVE strike, calling out this kind of thing BEFORE somehing terrible happens. Why did it take this recent horror for even one of them to speak out about the artists whom have performed for the Colonel?

Considering the angst that some of these folks are expressing, perhaps they will be moved to put together a concert which will help those people whom are going through a severe trial & create a fund which will truly help those people.

Of course, I am not expecting to read any such announcements from them. It's much easier to pint out the artists whom have played for the Colonel, than to actually put together something of their own accord.

Seeing as how they're so concerned because they've suddenly discovered a moral compass.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 03-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Tamla:

Thank you for understanding!

juicefree20..Thanks..Dont normally rant on THAT badly...Pauloxxx

Tamla...Thanks ....

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I noticed a news report this morning that said Nelly Furtado was giving to a charity, the million dollars she was paid by Qaddafi.

I agree that very often, the artist wouldn't know who they are playing for or who is paying them. And I'm sure, they are now very uncomfortable and the bigger the name, the greater the discomfort.

But perhaps some of them donate a great deal to charity and already did so with some of this money.

This is a difficult issue. It reminds me of the articles in Billboard, I believe in the 1970's when the Supremes came under some intense criticism for appearing in South Africa I think it was - Sun City. I forgot how they came to be booked there and I think one of them or some of them, wouldn't go.

I think if I were Beyonce or Usher or Mariah, I'd cough the money back to some refugee agency - maybe a million dollars isn't that much to them. It would help my conscience; even though I didn't do anything wrong, the association would make me very uncomfortable.
    If he paid Neely F a million he surely is a mental case and a real fool.

topdiva
    lol

Beyoncé says she donated Gadhafi cash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WORLD NEWS

Beyoncé says she donated Gadhafi cash

Beyoncé says she donated money she received for performing for the Gadhafi clan in 2009 to Haiti relief efforts.

The singer is one of several high-profile acts named as performing for the family of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.

Beyoncé performed at a private party on the island of St. Barts on New Year's Eve in 2009, according to a statement she released Wednesday.

"All monies paid to Beyoncé for her performance at a private party at Nikki Beach St. Barts on New Year's Eve 2009, including the commissions paid to her booking agency, were donated to the earthquake relief efforts in Haiti, over a year ago," the statement read.

"Once it became known that the third-party promoter was linked to the Gadhafi family, the decision was made to put that payment to a good cause."

Beyoncé performed at the Hope for Haiti Now benefit last January in London. She did not say which charities she had donated her fees to.

Earlier this week, Canadian singer Nelly Furtado admitted to being paid $1 million for a gig for the Gadhafi family in Italy. She has now promised to donate the money to charity.

Timbaland, Enrique Iglesias, Mariah Carey, 50 Cent and Lionel Richie have also been reported to have played at St. Bart's, a playground for Moammar Gadhafi's sons, Hannibal and Mutassim.

Gadhafi has been criticized by international leaders for firing on his own people in an attempt to hold onto power against a popular uprising.

The International Criminal Court will open an investigation Thursday into alleged crimes against humanity in Libya.

Paulo.

No need for an apology & I don't consider the conversation between Tamla & yourself a rant.

We're talking about music & songs, but you guys were discussing something very real & horrible & those events had a terrible impact on people. The conversation between the two of you only gives me a little insight as to what you've experienced & makes you more than just 2 strangers chatting in a forum.

From where I sit, it's all good.

Judging from that list, it sounds like the Colonel loves his R&B & Rap!

Who knew?

Lionel used his money to pay for his daughter's wedding...........I forget her name. The one who's kind of a space cadet but who turned out better than Lindsay Lohan.

I bet the Colonel got his beat from the rat a tat tat tat of a machine gun.

I know someone who works in Libya; years ago, he was at a soccer game in Tripoli; when the Colonel's team started losing, fans in a section of the stadium started cheering; the security forces came in and cleared them away.........not to be seen again!
    Last edited by jobeterob; 03-02-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Beyonce Did Not Know The Promoter Was Linked to the Qaddafi Family

Beyoncé: I already donated that Gadhafi money

It appears that Nelly Furtado isn't the only singer donating money obtained from prior performances for Muammar Gadhafi.

Reps for Beyoncé Knowles released a statement to CNN regarding the singer's 2009 performance for the Libyan leader.

"All monies paid to Beyoncé for her performance at a private party at Nikki Beach St. Barts on New Year's Eve 2009, including the commissions paid to her booking agency, were donated to the earthquake relief efforts in Haiti, over a year ago," the statement read. "Once it became known that the third party promoter was linked to the Qaddafi family, the decision was made to put that payment to a good cause."

No specifics were given regarding which charity received the funds or how much was donated.

Singers like Knowles, Furtado, Usher and Mariah Carey have recently come under fire for being hired in the past to perform for the embattled Libyan strongman and his family.

Update: The singer's rep added to an earlier statement by telling CNN that the money was donated to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund.

topdiva1 Guest
    All these hookers took the money and ran - they knew who they were working for - but a million is a million. It is odd that they do not name the charities that got the money, however.

And a month ago no one was talking about this - and terror in Libya has gone on for over fourty years.

Go figure.

It says Beyonce's money went to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund.

I am sure there is genuine discomfort on the part of all them now, just like there was for the 70's Supremes in South Africa.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It says Beyonce's money went to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund.

I am sure there is genuine discomfort on the part of all them now, just like there was for the 70's Supremes in South Africa.
    Wrong - do not believe that for a minute. They all go for the money - and the 70's Supreme's with Pedron in charge - needed the money, badly.

Again...most of these young folks doing these private affairs don't really know whom they're performing for & I'm sure that they didn't ask. And I don't think that's necessarily a very strange thing.

Take just about every one of us here. Let someone tell us that someone wants to hire us for, forget $1,000,000, but even $100,000. I can guarantee you that very few of us are going to ask for an ID check, nor insist that the person looking to hire us be carded. If we're being honest, most likely we'd simply ask 2 questions...

1. What time shall I be there Sir or Madam?
    2. Did the check clear?

Any of us whom would suggest otherwise is being a bit disingenuous, or simply hasn't had a million dollars waived in front of their face. And I don't believe that we'd be thinking about background checks if we did.

But I believe that a few car dealers, realtors & travel agents would be hearing from us & be on speed-dial.

If we're being honest, that is.

if i said i wouldnt,it doesn't sound like you'd believe me!
    but i wouldnt go to a "dodgy country" for anything,i really wouldnt.
    i could have gone to angola,sudan and somewhere else.all of them for really good money,supporting food supply drops in the 1st two countries.
    in sudan it was a regular thing to get rounds coming thru' the fuselage on landings and take offs.
    in angola the place was bouncing with drugged up "troops".how about a spaced out 12year old with an AK 47 with a full mag and the barrel stuffed in one of your nostrils.no thanks!
    i know people who went on these jollies and these things happened
    thats why the money is so good.most people have a price.if they're desperate enough.but i know some dont come back from these well paid jobs.shot,blown up and kidnapped.if and when they do its often with a reoccuring exotic disease,like malaria,some baffle the tropical medicine clinics.
    these reasons arent exactly the same as singing for a murdering dictator just an illustration i cant be bought. i wouldnt take money from dictator either.

RossHolloway Guest
    Why aren't all the haters who demanded that these entertainers give back what they earned also demanding the same for US banks and US businesses? Or is it just because all the named entertainers are black and don't need to make that kind of money?

And YES, I went there. Now defend yourselves. Or can't you? Hypocrites.