[REMOVE ADS]

Reflections [[Pre-Golden World release information)

In Al Kent's book, Custodian of the Hummingbird, he told of a pre-Golden World release by the Reflections. He states, ". . . The Reflections got their start at Kayco Records in Detroit with Barry Kay, the president of the newly formed record label. Their first recording was a song called 'Helpless' and on the flip side was 'You Say Goodbye.' Their first release did well in a number of locales, including Chicago, Cleveland, and Baltimore where it deservingly got tremendous airplay and sent the group out on the road. . . ."

This is the first time I ever heard of this pre-GW release. Keith Rylatt's Groovesville USA does not mention the Kayco label in it's list of Detroit labels.

Has anyone heard this record? If someone has it in their collection, I would appreciate seeing a scan of the label.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    In Al Kent's book, Custodian of the Hummingbird, he told of a pre-Golden World release by the Reflections. He states, ". . . The Reflections got their start at Kayco Records in Detroit with Barry Kay, the president of the newly formed record label. Their first recording was a song called 'Helpless' and on the flip side was 'You Say Goodbye.' Their first release did well in a number of locales, including Chicago, Cleveland, and Baltimore where it deservingly got tremendous airplay and sent the group out on the road. . . ."

This is the first time I ever heard of this pre-GW release. Keith Rylatt's Groovesville USA does not mention the Kayco label in it's list of Detroit labels.

Has anyone heard this record? If someone has it in their collection, I would appreciate seeing a scan of the label.

Thank you.
    A Youtuber uploaded both songs

Thank you for locating this virtually unknown recording. I enjoyed the You Said Good Bye more than Helpless, but it was a "short" song only running for 1:43 which is virtually unheard of today. I think the record had potential but it should have been longer. Thanks again. I would never have known about this if it wasn't for Al Kent's book.

Name:  G300a.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  14.3 KBName:  G300b.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  19.3 KB Both appeared on this compilation a few years back.

Coming At You is a great song. I have the single. Definitely gave it lots of play. This thread makes me wanna put it back on.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  21.1 KB
    I like "Helpless" better, but both songs are good. Barry Kay's Kay-Ko Records 1002 was "Two Time Loser", by The Darlings, an African American Girls Group. It sold a lot better than The Reflection's record, and got some decent radio play. I used to see that record around, everywhere. Both were from mid 1964.
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-19-2019 at 12:53 PM.