Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    2:02 - The Osmond Brothers
    4:58 - Anne Murray
    9:19 - Carpenters
    12:40 - Aretha Franklin
    17:14 - Three Dog Night
    20:12 - Dionne Warwick
    23:35 - The Fifth Dimension

This is great. Thank you for posting.So many great artists, and some of them no longer with us.

Great find! Wish they put all these performances on a big box set of dvds/blurays!

Very Interesting! Thank you for finding and posting.

Jack020 and Lucky2012 you are most welcome. This brought back a lot of good memories for me. Back when there were only 3 main television networks, we all watch shows like this and the production was simple compare to today's awards shows. The music was much better than what I hear today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    This is great. Thank you for posting.So many great artists, and some of them no longer with us.
    You are welcome. You had to know how to actually sing and perform in those days!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Great find! Wish they put all these performances on a big box set of dvds/blurays!
    That would just be a dream come true for me!

You are welcome. You had to know how to actually sing and perform in those days!
    Yes you did. We are so lucky to have grown up with such timeless and enduring music. Todays younger generation are fed so much shallow and disposable music. I really do feel sorry for them.

Yes you did. We are so lucky to have grown up with such timeless and enduring music. Todays younger generation are fed so much shallow and disposable music. I really do feel sorry for them.
    Agree. I just don’t think that young folks today will have any long term attachment to the music they were socialized with. I really like the term disposable music. But maybe that is the current norm in today’s world. Music with staying power is a gift.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 05-18-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Wording

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Agree. I just don’t think that young folks today will have any long term attachment to the music they were socialized with. I really like the term disposable music. But maybe that is the current norm in today’s world. Music with staying power is a gift.
    All that is true and it is not because we are getting older. I know music and I do not hear many "classics" being released in recent years. Sad...

Exactly. The music we grew up with us touched our heart and souls and continues to do so. When i hear the stuff my grandchildren listen to i somehow doubt they will form the same lifelong attachment to it that we did at their age. There remains some good modern music out there, but it is getting increasingly difficult to find it amid all the disposable stuff out there.

All that is true and it is not because we are getting older. I know music and I do not hear many "classics" being released in recent years. Sad...
    I think you have to go down the independent route to find the real genuine talent these days. The majors are more interested in finding the next Taylor Swift than the next Aretha Franklin. CD Baby can be a good source, and i occasionally find some raw talent on youtube that impresses me.

I think you have to go down the independent route to find the real genuine talent these days. The majors are more interested in finding the next Taylor Swift than the next Aretha Franklin. CD Baby can be a good source, and i occasionally find some raw talent on youtube that impresses me.
    Well maybe that’s it. I probably don’t spend much time looking for new talent when I can easily rely on the “old classics” such as The O’Jays Temptations Aretha Franklin Rolling Stones and the list goes on.... I tried to open my horizons and saw Harry Connick Jr. and was bored to death. Hell I saw much more interesting singer in a hotel bad in Atlanta lol! I even listen to Sirius radio and everything just seems so blah!

[QUOTE=detmotownguy;516774]Well maybe that’s it. I probably don’t spend much time looking for new talent when I can easily rely on the “old classics” such as The O’Jays Temptations Aretha Franklin Rolling Stones and the list goes on.... I tried to open my horizons and saw Harry Connick Jr. and was bored to death. Hell I saw much more interesting singer in a hotel bad in Atlanta lol! I even listen to Sirius radio and everything just seems so blah![/QUOT
    There is one advantage to the lack of new "quality" music out there. It gives one the perfect opportunity to discover classic music that bypassed you at the time or indeed re-discover music that perhaps did not make a big impression on you at the time. We were spoiled with so much great music during those vintage decades. There so much of it out there. Happy searching!

I find that there are more new and new-ish artists and more new releases than I can keep up with. I think one just needs to have a more open mind. We don't want to sound like the old codgers who complained about The Beatles and Motown, do we?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I find that there are more new and new-ish artists and more new releases than I can keep up with. I think one just needs to have a more open mind. We don't want to sound like the old codgers who complained about The Beatles and Motown, do we?
    I am just saying the music is not high quality. If my appreciation for Nancy Wilson is higher than it is for Cardi B., then I am proud to be an old codger! LOL!

And that's probably what the generation who grew up before Motown said about Motown...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Precisely PNH. There are still genuine singers and talented musicians in the music industry. There is still good music out there.

Go to a YouTube posting of The Four Tops' "I Can't Help Myself" and you'll find comments like "back when you needed talent to be a singer" and "back when music was music". Go to Deniece Williams' "Let's Hear It For The Boy" and you'll get "the 80s was the best era for music, what happened?". Try Mary J. Blige's "Family Affair" and you'll get a similar longing for 2001, "when music was music, not like the crap of today".

Now when it comes to "what happened?", I can answer that one, y'all got old and codgery...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

Now when it comes to "what happened?", I can answer that one, y'all got old and codgery...
    There's some truth to that Tom, I'm sure. But I have to say there's some truth to the difference in the business of music today vs yesterday. I've noticed that as time goes on the business is less interested in actual vocal talent and more interested in being able to package an entertainer...one who may or may not have any discernible vocal talent. And everyone is trying so hard to sound like everyone else. I heard someone singing on TV yesterday and I thought "he sounds very good" but honestly he sounded no different than a dozen other guys out there right now. I would not be able to pick his voice out of a lineup. Creativity is missing. Actual instruments have been replaced by machines. Most of the real singers, musicians and creators are found on the fringes of the industry rather than in the midst of it. That's not how it used to be. Of course there are some exceptions and there are definitely some acts I enjoy today as much as anyone, Bruno Mars for instance.

But something did happen.

Dropping the music programs in many public schools over the last several decades has really hurt music overall. You notice that there are not nearly as many bands out there do today as there were 30, 40 years ago. I believe part of the reason for that is that kids no longer learn how to play instruments in school anymore. Vocal classes are not a part of the curriculum at many schools today either.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    There's some truth to that Tom, I'm sure. But I have to say there's some truth to the difference in the business of music today vs yesterday. I've noticed that as time goes on the business is less interested in actual vocal talent and more interested in being able to package an entertainer...one who may or may not have any discernible vocal talent. And everyone is trying so hard to sound like everyone else. I heard someone singing on TV yesterday and I thought "he sounds very good" but honestly he sounded no different than a dozen other guys out there right now. I would not be able to pick his voice out of a lineup. Creativity is missing. Actual instruments have been replaced by machines. Most of the real singers, musicians and creators are found on the fringes of the industry rather than in the midst of it. That's not how it used to be. Of course there are some exceptions and there are definitely some acts I enjoy today as much as anyone, Bruno Mars for instance.

But something did happen.
    Oh yeah RanRan, there's some truth to what you say as well. I do think that music isn't as good generally as it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but that's not to say that it isn't good now. You canne shut off your ears to all music today because it's from today!

There are still bands with lots of talent and genuine musicianship... The Bamboos, Durand Jones & The Indications, Lee Fields & The Expressions... and "proper" singers like John Legend [[I know you're not a fan ), Gregory Porter and Leon Bridges. And I think to make it in the industry you need to have both genuine talent and "it" [[like star quality, an image, something unique, etc).

But to think that young people won't be able to associate with the music that they grew up because it isn't as good as the music you grew up with is not at all true. I'll still be jamming to Jess Glynne, DNCE and even a bit of Ariana when I'm old and codgery. [[And of course jamming to whatever music is out at the time too )

Oh yeah RanRan, there's some truth to what you say as well. I do think that music isn't as good generally as it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but that's not to say that it isn't good now. You canne shut off your ears to all music today because it's from today!

There are still bands with lots of talent and genuine musicianship... The Bamboos, Durand Jones & The Indications, Lee Fields & The Expressions... and "proper" singers like John Legend [[I know you're not a fan ), Gregory Porter and Leon Bridges. And I think to make it in the industry you need to have both genuine talent and "it" [[like star quality, an image, something unique, etc).

But to think that young people won't be able to associate with the music that they grew up because it isn't as good as the music you grew up with is not at all true. I'll still be jamming to Jess Glynne, DNCE and even a bit of Ariana when I'm old and codgery. [[And of course jamming to whatever music is out at the time too )
    I do think you can shut your ears off to today's music if it doesn't move you. I don't expect a 70 year old to listen to what's current today. Not that they can't enjoy it. I just don't expect them to, no more than I expect a 16 year old to enjoy a Scott Joplin tune.

Most of those artists you mentioned [[Bamboos, DJ&Indications, etc) are what I referenced in my post as being on the fringe of the industry. These are not household names nor are they artists that the industry as a whole is pushing. Someone like John Legend is the exception, but he's been on the scene for about 15 years now. I'll still have to disagree with you about genuine talent. I don't think the average person sees it as necessary anymore, just as long as the package is nice.

I do agree that the kids today will listen to their music the same as we all will and do when we get older. That's something that happens no matter what era you grow up in. It's a universal experience.

Dropping the music programs in many public schools over the last several decades has really hurt music overall. You notice that there are not nearly as many bands out there do today as there were 30, 40 years ago. I believe part of the reason for that is that kids no longer learn how to play instruments in school anymore. Vocal classes are not a part of the curriculum at many schools today either.
    Agree 100 percent. It's often said that one of the reasons Detroit turned out so many great artists is because of the quality of the music programs that once existed in the city.

I'd also add to the reasons of the decline that church singing has declined also. Choirs are not what they used to be. So many churches these days doing songs that sound like something being played in the club. Damn near autotune in church! But there used to be a time when churches were producing top quality vocalists. That's not happening anywhere near how it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I do think you can shut your ears off to today's music if it doesn't move you. I don't expect a 70 year old to listen to what's current today. Not that they can't enjoy it. I just don't expect them to, no more than I expect a 16 year old to enjoy a Scott Joplin tune.

Most of those artists you mentioned [[Bamboos, DJ&Indications, etc) are what I referenced in my post as being on the fringe of the industry. These are not household names nor are they artists that the industry as a whole is pushing. Someone like John Legend is the exception, but he's been on the scene for about 15 years now. I'll still have to disagree with you about genuine talent. I don't think the average person sees it as necessary anymore, just as long as the package is nice.

I do agree that the kids today will listen to their music the same as we all will and do when we get older. That's something that happens no matter what era you grow up in. It's a universal experience.
    I think you can shut off your ears to music you don't like, but you can't dislike it simply because its from today. That is being old and codgery. And yeah, people will listen to the music of their era, but I can't see why people shouldn't be more open minded. Personally I enjoy [[and listen to) music of the 60s just as much as I do today's music.

I don't think you can say that today's mainstream artists don't have to have talent. People like Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Khalid, they can sing, they have talent; IMO, it's still part of making it.

I think you can shut off your ears to music you don't like, but you can't dislike it simply because its from today. That is being old and codgery. And yeah, people will listen to the music of their era, but I can't see why people shouldn't be more open minded. Personally I enjoy [[and listen to) music of the 60s just as much as I do today's music.

I don't think you can say that today's mainstream artists don't have to have talent. People like Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Khalid, they can sing, they have talent; IMO, it's still part of making it.
    I've heard a lot of "Today's music" and it just sounds like garbage to me. No real musicians and all the singers are trying to sound like someone else. Lyrics? Where are the songwriters?

Well put Tom. You have very kindly recommended some talented new artists to me recently and for that i send my heartfelt thanks. I hope you will continue to do so.

Yep. I love Sam Smith and I really like Ed Sheeran especially his duet with Beyoncé and I really like Khalid and Ne-Yo is also real real talented imo and my current favorite artist.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 05-30-2019 at 02:54 PM.

I still find pleasure in listening to new music as well as old. JMSN, for example [[seriously, check him out, he's real good), has become my new favorite artist though he's been doing his thing for a minute. Of course musical tastes are never gonna be alike. I spent years being snobbish. Those days are over.

Anyway, these performances are from an era never to be repeated again but let's be thankful it happened and that it's been preserved on YouTube for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I still find pleasure in listening to new music as well as old. JMSN, for example [[seriously, check him out, he's real good), has become my new favorite artist though he's been doing his thing for a minute. Of course musical tastes are never gonna be alike. I spent years being snobbish. Those days are over.

Anyway, these performances are from an era never to be repeated again but let's be thankful it happened and that it's been preserved on YouTube for all to see.
    "JMSN"? That is another good example of what's wrong with music today. What is that? A name? Why are so many trying so hard to be unique when they are not? This so called "branding" has gotten out of hand.

"JMSN"? That is another good example of what's wrong with music today. What is that? A name? Why are so many trying so hard to be unique when they are not? This so called "branding" has gotten out of hand.
    Maybe if you go on YouTube and play him, the last thing you'll think about is his name lol

I've heard a lot of "Today's music" and it just sounds like garbage to me. No real musicians and all the singers are trying to sound like someone else. Lyrics? Where are the songwriters?
    I agree Marv, for me the biggest problem with today's music is the melody, or rather the lack of it.

Today's "artists" sure can sing, they can use -and abuse of- melismas but when their song is over there's nothing left in your mind, nothing notable. Oh well, maybe it's me ? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I agree Marv, for me the biggest problem with today's music is the melody, or rather the lack of it.

Today's "artists" sure can sing, they can use -and abuse of- melismas but when their song is over there's nothing left in your mind, nothing notable. Oh well, maybe it's me ? LOL
    It's not you, it is the current state of popular music. It is awful! LOL!

I wholeheartedly agree with all!

My $.02 -
    As another proud "codger", check out Brian McKnight on YouTube. It was such a flawless performance that I thought he was lipsynching!! Real music.

American Idol started the trend towards - 'gimme the next Demi Lavato!' The formula is cookie-cutter now! I dare say every network has a song competition show!

And the preferable image over vocal talent? Who needs to be bothered with talent?! The average Joe/Schmo can go viral on YouTube. Or use ProTools software, autotune, mumble lyrics [[actually a sub-genre, "mumble rock") or cavort around in essentially a bikini or suit/outfit that your 8 yr old brother should be wearing! Don't get me started on Trap- Soul!!!

Finally, while I catch my breath, here's some contenders for today's rising Stars: Daniel Caesar, [[the late) Charles Bradley, and Curtis Harding. Honorable mention [[already legendary): Anthony Hamilton, Carrie Underwood [[Idol alum), JHud [[Idol alum), and Raheem DeVaughn!!

How's that for an old codger!