[REMOVE ADS]

Doris Day and Motown

I'm mourning Doris Day's passing and am reminded of her significance to Motown and of Berry Gordy's admiration for her. I remember reacting the way many must have. The immediate thought was "What does Doris Day have to do with Motown?" Well...Of course, I know better now. Her image and talent was an important part of Berry Gordy's vision and aspirations.

She has been my favorite "Movie Star" and one of my all-time favorite singers. I can also be most grateful for what she has meant for Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I'm mourning Doris Day's passing and am reminded of her significance to Motown and of Berry Gordy's admiration for her. I remember reacting the way many must have. The immediate thought was "What does Doris Day have to do with Motown?" Well...Of course, I know better now. Her image and talent was an important part of Berry Gordy's vision and aspirations.

She has been my favorite "Movie Star" and one of my all-time favorite singers. I can also be most grateful for what she has meant for Motown.
    Im sure Mr Gordy sent his love and prayers to Ms Days family.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 05-14-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Early in his career, Berry wrote a song called YOU ARE YOU for Doris but was never able to get it to her. Years later, he was able to present a copy of the sheet music to her. There's a photo of the occasion in his book.

Mary Wilson has cited Doris Day as being a big influence on her in terms of the type of personality she wanted to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary Wilson has cited Doris Day as being a big influence on her in terms of the type of personality she wanted to attain.
    And in one of her books, Mary captions a photo of her in her blonde wig days saying something like "I must have seen too many Doris Day movies!"

I liked many of her movies especially the comedies with Rock Hudson and Tony Randall. But the movies where she's a damsel in distress - isn't there one where she lands a jet plane or something - are something else again!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    And in one of her books, Mary captions a photo of her in her blonde wig days saying something like "I must have seen too many Doris Day movies!"

I liked many of her movies especially the comedies with Rock Hudson and Tony Randall. But the movies where she's a damsel in distress - isn't there one where she lands a jet plane or something - are something else again!
    That's right Kenneth. I remember that.

The name of that movie is "Julie." I just saw it a month ago and had never heard of it. It's pure soap opera but she rises above the material and does an excellent job.

@motownlover1964, It seems she didn't play in that many dramas, mostly comedies, or at least her comedies are her best known films. But I think she was great in "Love Me or Leave Me" with James Cagney and really showed she could handle a major dramatic role. She played the 20s singer Ruth Etting and although it did romanticize a lot of aspects of her life, it wasn't pure Hollywood hokum like so many Hollywood "bios".