[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    My favourite version, possibly because it was the one I heard first, was by Ramona King.
    I had forgotten about that one! It came out in close succession along with Merry Clayton’s and Betty Everett’s.

I still much prefer Betty's, but was surprised when I just researched Ramona's to see that it was arranged by Jack Nitzsche!

I believe that the original title was simply “It’s in His Kiss,” and that VJ retitled it, “The Shoop Shoop Song,” adding “It’s in His Kiss” below it on the label as a parenthetical. I suppose this was a result of the Blossoms’ very audible “shoops” in background. Of all the versions, I still feel The Supremes' is the weakest by a wide margin.
    Last edited by BigAl; 05-18-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Nah, they needed a NEW sound, something that would've kept up with who they were but also bring them a new audience. But since this was in the middle of their dispute with Motown, it wouldn't have made much a difference.

By the way, I prefer Aretha's and Cher's versions of this song.

But Betty Everett's version will never be topped, I don't care if you're a Ronette or a Supreme doing this, you can't top Betty's version. Sorry.

Mary is not a pop singer but that's what the Supremes needed. scherrie has a pop sound to her so I feel she should have handled most of the leads.
    I like It's in His Kiss. I would have released in 74

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Mary is not a pop singer but that's what the Supremes needed. scherrie has a pop sound to her so I feel she should have handled most of the leads.
    I like It's in His Kiss. I would have released in 74
    Mary Wilson is a Pop singer. She's appeared on dozens of Pop hits.

Mary is a jazzy singer. Nothing pop about her lol

Does her voice work well with pop though? Sure it does.

Scherrie isn’t a pop singer either