[REMOVE ADS]

JML interview from 1973

This is rare. This must have been a local type interview. They all said they wanted to be models if they were not singers. Thanks johnny_raven
    Last edited by marv2; 05-14-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Very interesting find! Isn't that gown Mary has on a DRATS "hand me down"? All three ladies look beautiful. Sucks so bad that Lynda was with the group for a relatively short period of time. She's sexy as hell and really adds a youthful feel to the group. I've seen written criticism that Jean wasn't good at the Supreme image, but she comes across so regal and grand that to me she looks every bit as Supreme as any of the other ladies, perhaps more so. She was really a good fit for what should've been the Supremes 70s image. Proud Black woman in every way. You can see it even in her walk. Gorgeous.

This is from infamous Fairmont Frisco booking where a local writer panned the group so personally that the ladies called a press conference to defend their choice of material in the act. It was also the straw that broke the camel's back for Jean. She pulled Mary aside after that conference and told her this was it, she wanted out. Mary kept trying to change her mind but Jean was done. She also was preparing to marry. A few weeks after this news feature Jean called BG and said she wanted out. Lynda followed.

But the hits had stopped, the bookings were down, the money was down - all of that as a backdrop shows why interest was being lost

Lynda Lawrence was sooooooooo gorgeous. A real stunning beautty.

The hits stopped but the booking didn’t

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This is from infamous Fairmont Frisco booking where a local writer panned the group so personally that the ladies called a press conference to defend their choice of material in the act. It was also the straw that broke the camel's back for Jean. She pulled Mary aside after that conference and told her this was it, she wanted out. Mary kept trying to change her mind but Jean was done. She also was preparing to marry. A few weeks after this news feature Jean called BG and said she wanted out. Lynda followed.
    well to be honest, their song selection for their live show at this time wasn't their strongest set. I'm sure they performed it well but it was so "vegas" based on their Japan lp. not sure if they did a few different songs in SFO or not. but having the old DRATS material and TCB was NOT a good idea

the recordings of their shows in 70 and 71 seem strong but even that was getting a bit tired. essentially they didn't really change up their format that much. by 72 and 73, they just needed to overhaul their show and do different things. otherwise people aren't interested in seeing you again

As for Mary’s choice of gown, at least she pick the butterfly gown

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mary’s gown so bright and colorful. Nice piece of history. Great video.

All three look good, but Mary looks like ten billion dollars......wowza!

It IS a shame Lynda split as she had a ton of talent.

The group had only gone a year without a top 20 hit when Jean gave her notice. The bookings had not stopped , but they had slid dramatically as far as quality and ability to make big money.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Lynda Lawrence was sooooooooo gorgeous. A real stunning beautty.
    Lynda was without doubt the sexiest Supreme ever. A stunningly beautiful lady, and very talented too. What a pity she left the group so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Is that review findable? Would be interesting to read.

The ladies look beautiful but I must say that interview was odd.

i'm guessing Jean's departure was a culmination of many issues.

*she and mary had had issues i believe since she joined.
    *she had little decision-making role in the direction of the group in terms of what they recorded, what they sang live, etc
    *she was salaried for the first year to 18 months which is when the 70s group had their largest hits. so she didn't earn those royalties
    *she was doing much more of the work - almost all of the leads in studio, most of the lead work throughout the shows. And Mary is the one trying to run the group
    *motown's declining support for the girls
    *the tired glamour image
    *most of her songs were crammed into a short medley
    *seemed that the group's direction was sort of all over the place and they weren't really going anywhere.
    *she was about to get married and was interested in having a family.
    *tired of the constant touring
    *singing was something she loved but entertaining wasn't a passion

again, i haven't interviewed or spoken with her but these are things i've gathered from stories from fans and people on here

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    The ladies look beautiful but I must say that interview was odd.
    I thought the same. 1973 was a halcyon year for the Women's Lib movement and the continuing struggle for equal rights and here they are talking not about music but fay-shun!