[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 65
  1. #1

    Mary Wilson Sings "Imagine" in Concert!


  2. #2
    The Last Dance!


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She really shouldnt touch this one. Just makes you remember how magical John Lennons version is.

  4. #4
    thank you Mary Wilson for carrying on Donna Summer's legacy and not just by doing the sillier BAD GIRLS or HOT STUFF tunes.


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    thank you Mary Wilson for carrying on Donna Summer's legacy and not just by doing the sillier BAD GIRLS or HOT STUFF tunes.

    "Last Dance" was my favorite record by Donna Summer. She did good work!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    She really shouldnt touch this one. Just makes you remember how magical John Lennons version is.
    That is a song you could almost walk through but this is not good.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    That is a song you could almost walk through but this is not good.
    I am sorry but I couldn’t listen all the way through. It was really boring.

  8. #8
    No, not good. Better than that ditch-concert attempt last summer but completely beyond her abilities.

  9. #9
    Set aside the fact that this is a song I hate no matter who is singing it (I faithfully skip it on Touch Me In the Morning...I can't recall the last time I let the song play through), I watched this vid waiting for the moment when Mary completely messes it up...moment never came. She doesn't do anything wildly innovative with it, but she basically gives it the same treatment everyone else I've heard give it. Song choice aside, I don't hear anything wrong with Mary's rendition.

  10. #10
    Mary does a great job on both songs and the crowds reception shows it! Thanks Marv!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary does a great job on both songs and the crowds reception shows it! Thanks Marv!
    You're most welcome Luke. I thought so too. I am happy that she is adding different songs to her show.

  12. #12
    Seemed like some of her talk singing with lots of back up

    It’s no My Man but it’s okay

  13. #13
    For me "Imagine" is a song that really suits Marys voice. She performs the song with sensitivity and warmth. . For a woman of 75 her voice sounds rich and full.
    "Last Dance" is not one of my faves no matter who is singing it.

  14. #14
    I love how the audience sings that high note , " you ooo. ooo ...." LOL!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    For me "Imagine" is a song that really suits Marys voice. She performs the song with sensitivity and warmth. . For a woman of 75 her voice sounds rich and full.
    "Last Dance" is not one of my faves no matter who is singing it.
    She couldn’t reach the notes in Last Dance that Donna Summer could

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Last Dance" was my favorite record by Donna Summer. She did good work!
    If I may :


  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    If I may :

    You know she and Mary Wilson were friends, right?

  18. #18
    They both have nice interpretations of Imagine.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    For me "Imagine" is a song that really suits Marys voice. She performs the song with sensitivity and warmth. . For a woman of 75 her voice sounds rich and full.
    I agree 100%.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    "Last Dance" is not one of my faves no matter who is singing it.
    I agree 1000%

  20. #20
    I think Imagine suits Mary's voice very well and is perfect for her. Mary always says we need more love in our World to heal our World and a song about bringing people together fits well with that message. I enjoyed watching her sing it here.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You know she and Mary Wilson were friends, right?
    No I did not know that! But it doesn't surprise me. Were they neighbors by any chance?


    How about some Bob Esty orchestration:


  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    No I did not know that! But it doesn't surprise me. Were they neighbors by any chance?


    How about some Bob Esty orchestration:

    I don't know if they were neighbors, but they had been friends since the 80s and when Donna passed Mary gave her personal recollections of their friendship in an interview.

  23. #23
    Here's one story:

    Donna Summer’s Illness Surprised Friend The Supremes Member Mary Wilson

    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...062212234.html

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't know if they were neighbors, but they had been friends since the 80s and when Donna passed Mary gave her personal recollections of their friendship in an interview.
    Marv I saw Donna saw her back in the late 90s at Pineknob Music theater and she was absolutely fantastic, unfortunately the audience did not appreciate her “opera” segment. Her live voice absolutely fantastic as on record. A consummate performer.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here's one story:

    Donna Summer’s Illness Surprised Friend The Supremes Member Mary Wilson

    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...062212234.html
    at least, this shows they were not close at all ! What does it mean for her to call someone « Friend »

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    at least, this shows they were not close at all ! What does it mean for her to call someone « Friend »
    Well, she calls Diana her friend too. They may have been at one time, but friends drift apart. Perhaps the entertainment industry has a different definition of friendship.


    "I didn't know she was ill," Wilson told Yahoo! Music. "In the entertainment business, we all kinda talk, you know. Never heard that she had been ill”
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………..
    Mary Wilson remembers hanging out with Summer over the years. "It was maybe in the '80s that I spent a lot of time with her, here in L.A.”

  27. #27
    To be fair to Mary, the headline seems to be the work of the author and not that of Mary Wilson. She does not give the impression that she and Donna were besties who spoke often and thus was kept out of the loop regarding Donna's illness. Seems like they had a friendship that a lot of people have. You meet someone, y'all vibe, have great times together for a period of time and then at some point kind of go separate ways, but can often pick back up where they left off when the opportunity presents itself. Nothing fake here. Mary Wilson was always the most outgoing of the original Supremes and always had a lot of friends, and apparently still has a lot of friends. But by her own admission it had been a few years since she and Donna had hung out, so of course Donna's death and illness might have come as a surprise, as it would to anyone who may not have known and hadn't been around for quite some time.

    Y'all be giving Mary grief about the simplest of things. Geez.

  28. #28
    Speaking of Mary’s friends, there was an article on Tom Jones yesterday saying at one stage he had sex with 250 groupies a year plus the affairs

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Well, she calls Diana her friend too. They may have been at one time, but friends drift apart. Perhaps the entertainment industry has a different definition of friendship.
    Just realized that you basically said what I said before I said it, much shorter and to the point.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Speaking of Mary’s friends, there was an article on Tom Jones yesterday saying at one stage he had sex with 250 groupies a year plus the affairs
    No surprise there. But he'd probably still fall short of all the chicks Diana's old friend Gene Simmons was boning back in the day. I hope neither Mary or Diana ever caught anything.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    No surprise there. But he'd probably still fall short of all the chicks Diana's old friend Gene Simmons was boning back in the day. I hope neither Mary or Diana ever caught anything.
    Exactly!

    Good old antibiotics! At least for most things

    Tom Jones apparently has expressed lots of remorse and warm feelings and gratefulness to his deceased wife for how she loved him

  32. #32
    I got a confession to make: I never liked the Supremes' Beatles covers...

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I got a confession to make: I never liked the Supremes' Beatles covers...
    Well, since we're confessing: I never liked the Beatles.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Well, since we're confessing: I never liked the Beatles.
    I never did either.!! Lol

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Well, since we're confessing: I never liked the Beatles.



  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Well, since we're confessing: I never liked the Beatles.
    Wasn’t Mary W good friends w George? I Bel he wrote IT Don’t Come Easy as a hit for himself but it gave to Ringo as a nice gesture or something like that.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Wasn’t Mary W good friends w George? I Bel he wrote IT Don’t Come Easy as a hit for himself but it gave to Ringo as a nice gesture or something like that.
    Yes Mary and George were good friends. George sold Mary a Mercedes stretch limo that was originally owned by John Lennon. The car itself became a big news story when the garage in England where Mary had it stored sold it without her permission!

    I loved the song "It Don't Come Easy". I didn't know George Harrison wrote it. We should all have friends like him.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes Mary and George were good friends. George sold Mary a Mercedes stretch limo that was originally owned by John Lennon. The car itself became a big news story when the garage in England where Mary had it stored sold it without her permission!
    I loved the song "It Don't Come Easy". I didn't know George Harrison wrote it. We should all have friends like him.

    Stretch Mercedes? I thought it was a 1959 ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER CLOUD....

  39. #39
    Hmmm She is in front of a stretch Mercedes here. But in all the stories that I read, mostly gossip, I always read that it was that it was a Rolls Royce




  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Hmmm She is in front of a stretch Mercedes here. But in all the stories that I read, mostly gossip, I always read that it was that it was a Rolls Royce
    Just did some research and it seems that I read about the Rolls Royce in a Tony Turner interview or book. He is not the best source if you are looking for a reliable source, but I always did think it was a Rolls Royce that was bought by Mary from George and sold without her knowing. But the picture of her in front of a Mercedes probably proves me wrong. And as for me, I should have my head examined for making so much of such a trivial matter

    Tony Turner Interview
    Q - A real eye-opener in your book is the story about Mary Wilson and her appearance on Robin Leach's Lifestyles of The Rich And Famous. She moved her belongings to a freind's mansion for the show, because in reality she lived in a two bedroom bungalow with her family. What's Mary's financial condition these days?

    A - That was really my doing. Mary called me one day at my home in Long Island and she said very excited, "Oh, I'm going to be interviewed for The Rich and Famous, which actually turned out to be one of his other shows that didn't last that long, called Romance of The Rich and Famous. I said "that's fabulous." They sometimes interviewed people on location or in a hotel suite. I said "Mary, where are they going to interview you?" She said, "At home." I went like, completely crazy, I said "you cannot have the Rich and Famous interview you in that little bungalow." She was like, "Oh, you don't think so?" I said, "I don't think so. You're going to have to get a suite at The Beverly Hill Hotel or something and tell them your house is being renovated. You can't have them come to that little thousand square feet place, out in the valley." Oh, my God, that place is horrible. She said, "Oh, I didn't think of that" I said, "Well that's what you have me for, dear." I said "what about asking Mrs. Avery?" (Dr. Avery was Mary's gynecologist) "You're good friends with her." She has this huge house up in Las Felices that originally had been built for George Raft. "Why don't you just ask her if you can use that house." So that is where the idea came from. We moved all her memorabilia such as oil paintings of herself, all of the Gold Records and we hung them up in the living room of that house. We took Mary's old Rolls Royce and put that in the driveway of this really big English Tudor that's on like over an acre of land. A quite imposing house it is. Once again it was my own training from Motown that at all costs you keep up the stars image, no matter what.

    Q - Financially speaking, she was....

    A - Broke. The nice beautiful Rolls Royce couldn't go over 30 miles per hour. The inside was a wreck. She finally spent about 30 grand to have the car re-conditioned which I thought was a bad move. About a year later, she sold it like for 20 grand, so she lost money on it. But, she had been badly ripped off. Long gone was the huge mansion in Hancock Park and the home up in Hollywood Hills. She was living in Studio City, on Eureka Drive in a small, little bungalow, right off of a main thoroughfare with one bathroom, 2 little bedrooms. There was about eight people living there. She had seen hard times. She was still working, but not making what she used to.
    Last edited by milven; 05-21-2019 at 10:21 AM.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Just did some research and it seems that I read about the Rolls Royce in a Tony Turner interview or book. He is not the best source if you are looking for a reliable source, but I always did think it was a Rolls Royce that was bought by Mary from George and sold without her knowing. But the picture of her in front of a Mercedes probably proves me wrong. And as for me, I should have my head examined for making so much of such a trivial matter

    Tony Turner Interview
    Q - A real eye-opener in your book is the story about Mary Wilson and her appearance on Robin Leach's Lifestyles of The Rich And Famous. She moved her belongings to a freind's mansion for the show, because in reality she lived in a two bedroom bungalow with her family. What's Mary's financial condition these days?

    A - That was really my doing. Mary called me one day at my home in Long Island and she said very excited, "Oh, I'm going to be interviewed for The Rich and Famous, which actually turned out to be one of his other shows that didn't last that long, called Romance of The Rich and Famous. I said "that's fabulous." They sometimes interviewed people on location or in a hotel suite. I said "Mary, where are they going to interview you?" She said, "At home." I went like, completely crazy, I said "you cannot have the Rich and Famous interview you in that little bungalow." She was like, "Oh, you don't think so?" I said, "I don't think so. You're going to have to get a suite at The Beverly Hill Hotel or something and tell them your house is being renovated. You can't have them come to that little thousand square feet place, out in the valley." Oh, my God, that place is horrible. She said, "Oh, I didn't think of that" I said, "Well that's what you have me for, dear." I said "what about asking Mrs. Avery?" (Dr. Avery was Mary's gynecologist) "You're good friends with her." She has this huge house up in Las Felices that originally had been built for George Raft. "Why don't you just ask her if you can use that house." So that is where the idea came from. We moved all her memorabilia such as oil paintings of herself, all of the Gold Records and we hung them up in the living room of that house. We took Mary's old Rolls Royce and put that in the driveway of this really big English Tudor that's on like over an acre of land. A quite imposing house it is. Once again it was my own training from Motown that at all costs you keep up the stars image, no matter what.

    Q - Financially speaking, she was....

    A - Broke. The nice beautiful Rolls Royce couldn't go over 30 miles per hour. The inside was a wreck. She finally spent about 30 grand to have the car re-conditioned which I thought was a bad move. About a year later, she sold it like for 20 grand, so she lost money on it. But, she had been badly ripped off. Long gone was the huge mansion in Hancock Park and the home up in Hollywood Hills. She was living in Studio City, on Eureka Drive in a small, little bungalow, right off of a main thoroughfare with one bathroom, 2 little bedrooms. There was about eight people living there. She had seen hard times. She was still working, but not making what she used to.
    Oops! Time to call Diane again

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Oops! Time to call Diane again
    Well, that is an old interview, and Mary has gotten out her financial mess by promoting the Supremes' legacy and performing with the Supremes' name in her billing. At this point, she must be financially okay, although in some interviews she has admitted that she has to work, but still enjoys it.

    I doubt that she has to work, but does enjoy a certain standard of living and works to maintain that standard.
    Last edited by milven; 05-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.

  43. #43
    That interview was from the 80’s and Ms. Turner is a bit of a drama queen.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Well, that is an old interview, and Mary has gotten out her financial mess by promoting the Supremes' legacy and performing with the Supremes' name in her billing. At this point, she must be financially okay, although in some interviews she has admitted that she has to work, but still enjoys it.

    I doubt that she has to work, but does enjoy a certain standard of living and works to maintain that standard.
    I agree. Plus the only way to make any decent money these days is public appearances.

    Mary has done herself no favours hooking up with some of the trash talkers and Turner is the most discredited and mocked.

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Hmmm She is in front of a stretch Mercedes here. But in all the stories that I read, mostly gossip, I always read that it was that it was a Rolls Royce



    In some folks minds buying a car from someone and then taking a photo with the same person 10 or 15 years later at a RRHOF event warrantts a good friendship. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    In some folks minds buying a car from someone and then taking a photo with the same person 10 or 15 years later at a RRHOF event warrantts a good friendship. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe.
    I so agree. You said exactly what I was going to say. Lol

  47. #47
    Tony is a liar who can't be trusted. I don't believe his Mary broke story. The fact that so much of his first book is exaggerated stories that already appeared in other books, only he adds himself as one of the cast, is enough to side eye him (although the book is a must read for entertainment purposes only). But when he did an interview talking about how Flo was a drug addict, that sealed the deal for me. Supposedly devoted to "Miss Flo" but would tell that kind of lie for sensationalism on her, especially when a certain segment of fandom already looks for ways to tarnish her memory and character...unacceptable. I'm surprised Tony Tall Tales isn't a member of this forum...or is he?

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Tony is a liar who can't be trusted. I don't believe his Mary broke story. The fact that so much of his first book is exaggerated stories that already appeared in other books, only he adds himself as one of the cast, is enough to side eye him (although the book is a must read for entertainment purposes only). But when he did an interview talking about how Flo was a drug addict, that sealed the deal for me. Supposedly devoted to "Miss Flo" but would tell that kind of lie for sensationalism on her, especially when a certain segment of fandom already looks for ways to tarnish her memory and character...unacceptable. I'm surprised Tony Tall Tales isn't a member of this forum...or is he?
    For whatever reason, your post prompted me to go check the trash heap of a website that tried to take down this forum a few years ago. Now its all Russian propaganda and anti-gay bots spewing crap.

    It is interesting to see where IP addresses take you.

    Surf safely, ladies and gentlemen.

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Tony is a liar who can't be trusted. I don't believe his Mary broke story. The fact that so much of his first book is exaggerated stories that already appeared in other books, only he adds himself as one of the cast, is enough to side eye him (although the book is a must read for entertainment purposes only). But when he did an interview talking about how Flo was a drug addict, that sealed the deal for me. Supposedly devoted to "Miss Flo" but would tell that kind of lie for sensationalism on her, especially when a certain segment of fandom already looks for ways to tarnish her memory and character...unacceptable. I'm surprised Tony Tall Tales isn't a member of this forum...or is he?
    I bet he was at a time but not so sure anymore; if so you know who he’s associated with right?

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Tony is a liar who can't be trusted. I don't believe his Mary broke story. The fact that so much of his first book is exaggerated stories that already appeared in other books, only he adds himself as one of the cast, is enough to side eye him (although the book is a must read for entertainment purposes only). But when he did an interview talking about how Flo was a drug addict, that sealed the deal for me. Supposedly devoted to "Miss Flo" but would tell that kind of lie for sensationalism on her, especially when a certain segment of fandom already looks for ways to tarnish her memory and character...unacceptable. I'm surprised Tony Tall Tales isn't a member of this forum...or is he?
    I had heard he had passed but then heard he was still with us. His Temptations book had me LMAO but im that wasnt his intention. The lies and whoppers in that book were hillarious and although I laughed both his books were darned funny and pathetivc at the same time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.