[REMOVE ADS]

"This Is It! More From The Van McCoy Songbook 1962-1977" (Kent UK) 6/28/2019

Description
    Some years have passed since “The Sweetest Feeling”, Kent’s first dip into the catalogue of the late Van McCoy, was issued to acclaim from soul fans all over the world. Back then we made a promise that, should sales warrant a second volume, we would release one. Well, it’s taken a while for it to come together – nine years, in fact – but we are delighted to finally bring you that long-promised follow-up, “This Is It!”

As we promised in the notes to the previous set, the accent this time is predominantly on the upbeat. “This Is It!” collects a significant number of Van’s biggest and rarest 60s/Northern Soul favourites, multiple modern-crossover treats from the 70s and, for balance, a few slower opportunities to get their breath back for those who mostly like to dance but occasionally like to listen. Although the inevitable licensing issues prevented us from securing a couple of tracks we would like to have included, we feel certain that everyone who loves the work of Van McCoy will be more than happy with the contents.

As well as Northern and modern rarities by the likes of Sandi Sheldon, Kenny Carlton, the Vonettes and Bill Harris, among others, “This Is It!” also contains several of Van’s most commercially successful songs and productions, including Melba Moore’s title track and Gladys Knight and the Pips’ UK chart monster ‘Baby Don’t Change Your Mind’. Several artists featured here, including the Spellbinders, Chris Bartley, the Ad Libs and Brenda and the Tabulations, are indelibly associated with Van, having spent most of their careers working with him.

It’s been 40 years this summer since Van succumbed to a fatal heart attack, at the age of just 39. Van may have left us a long time ago but his timeless music never will, and here are 24 more of the very best examples of “Van McCoy Magic”.

Tracklist
    1. Lost And Found - Kenny Carlton
    2. The Sweetest Thing This Side Of Heaven - Chris Bartley
    3. You're Gonna Make Me Love You - Sandi Sheldon
    4. Hard Way To Go - The Exciters
    5. I Wanna Love You So Bad - Bobby Reed
    6. Gonna Be Ready - Betty Everett
    7. We're In This Thing Together - Peaches & Herb
    8. Baby, I Miss You - The Spellbinders
    9. Abracadabra - Erma Franklin
    10. Wait Till I Get You In My Arms - Major Lance
    11. Just In The Nick Of Time - Toni Lamarr
    12. Touch My Heart - The Vonettes
    13. Mister DJ - Francine Barker
    14. Ain't It Funny What Love Can Do - Kenny Young
    15. Show A Little Appreciation - The Ad Libs
    16. Where Did You Learn To Make Love The Way You Do (Album Version) - Sharon Ridley
    17. Little Bit Of Love - Brenda & The Tabulations
    18. If I Don't Love You - The Choice Four
    19. Memories And Souvenirs - Laura Greene
    20. You're My Peace Of Mind - Faith Hope & Charity
    21. Baby Don't Change Your Mind - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    22. Am I Cold, Am I Hot - Bill Harris
    23. Everything's Coming Up Love - David Ruffin
    24. This Is It - Melba Moore
    Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQ3V1HG/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RQ3V1HG/?tag=imwan-21

Wonderful - a great find - will follow up. Thanks!

Interesting collection. Might have to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Description
    Some years have passed since “The Sweetest Feeling”, Kent’s first dip into the catalogue of the late Van McCoy, was issued to acclaim from soul fans all over the world. Back then we made a promise that, should sales warrant a second volume, we would release one. Well, it’s taken a while for it to come together – nine years, in fact – but we are delighted to finally bring you that long-promised follow-up, “This Is It!”

As we promised in the notes to the previous set, the accent this time is predominantly on the upbeat. “This Is It!” collects a significant number of Van’s biggest and rarest 60s/Northern Soul favourites, multiple modern-crossover treats from the 70s and, for balance, a few slower opportunities to get their breath back for those who mostly like to dance but occasionally like to listen. Although the inevitable licensing issues prevented us from securing a couple of tracks we would like to have included, we feel certain that everyone who loves the work of Van McCoy will be more than happy with the contents.

As well as Northern and modern rarities by the likes of Sandi Sheldon, Kenny Carlton, the Vonettes and Bill Harris, among others, “This Is It!” also contains several of Van’s most commercially successful songs and productions, including Melba Moore’s title track and Gladys Knight and the Pips’ UK chart monster ‘Baby Don’t Change Your Mind’. Several artists featured here, including the Spellbinders, Chris Bartley, the Ad Libs and Brenda and the Tabulations, are indelibly associated with Van, having spent most of their careers working with him.

It’s been 40 years this summer since Van succumbed to a fatal heart attack, at the age of just 39. Van may have left us a long time ago but his timeless music never will, and here are 24 more of the very best examples of “Van McCoy Magic”.

Tracklist
    1. Lost And Found - Kenny Carlton
    2. The Sweetest Thing This Side Of Heaven - Chris Bartley
    3. You're Gonna Make Me Love You - Sandi Sheldon
    4. Hard Way To Go - The Exciters
    5. I Wanna Love You So Bad - Bobby Reed
    6. Gonna Be Ready - Betty Everett
    7. We're In This Thing Together - Peaches & Herb
    8. Baby, I Miss You - The Spellbinders
    9. Abracadabra - Erma Franklin
    10. Wait Till I Get You In My Arms - Major Lance
    11. Just In The Nick Of Time - Toni Lamarr
    12. Touch My Heart - The Vonettes
    13. Mister DJ - Francine Barker
    14. Ain't It Funny What Love Can Do - Kenny Young
    15. Show A Little Appreciation - The Ad Libs
    16. Where Did You Learn To Make Love The Way You Do (Album Version) - Sharon Ridley
    17. Little Bit Of Love - Brenda & The Tabulations
    18. If I Don't Love You - The Choice Four
    19. Memories And Souvenirs - Laura Greene
    20. You're My Peace Of Mind - Faith Hope & Charity
    21. Baby Don't Change Your Mind - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    22. Am I Cold, Am I Hot - Bill Harris
    23. Everything's Coming Up Love - David Ruffin
    24. This Is It - Melba Moore
    Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQ3V1HG/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RQ3V1HG/?tag=imwan-21
    I already own a lot of these tracks, but i will be supporting this album. Such releases are becoming increasingly rare and they may dry up completely if the demand is no longer there. Thanks for the heads up Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I already own a lot of these tracks, but i will be supporting this album. Such releases are becoming increasingly rare and they may dry up completely if the demand is no longer there. Thanks for the heads up Eddie.
    Agree with your sentiments. I have several tracks but have pre-ordered directly from Ace Records. In UK it's free postage just short of £13.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Agree with your sentiments. I have several tracks but have pre-ordered directly from Ace Records. In UK it's free postage just short of £13.
    That is not bad but i usually buy mine from my friends local independent record store. He usually sells the Ace releases for £10. I hope many people will support this release, and any other forthcoming ones.

That is not bad but i usually buy mine from my friends local independent record store. He usually sells the Ace releases for £10. I hope many people will support this release, and any other forthcoming ones.
    That's a brilliant deal. Rarely see Ace cheaper than that. Plus support for the record shop.😀

THIS IS IT was a club favorite within the same time frame that LOVE HANGOVER was peaking. What worked well for these two songs in conjunction was the way THIS IS IT would sign off in that crescendo cry of "this is it!" followed by a single orchestral punch, which would then create a moment of silence that would allow the DJ to follow up with any song of his choosing. Perfect fodder for then bringing in the slow intro of LOVE HANGOVER.

Always liked the exuberant attitude of this song , lyrically and compositionally.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-13-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    That's a brilliant deal. Rarely see Ace cheaper than that. Plus support for the record shop.
    Yes, it is a win win situation. He has had the shop since 1979, and it is still going strong. There are not many left sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    THIS IS IT was a club favorite within the same time frame that LOVE HANGOVER was peaking. What worked well for these two songs in conjunction was the way THIS IS IT would sign off in that crescendo cry of "this is it!" followed by a single orchestral punch, which would then create a moment of silence that would allow the DJ to follow up with any song of his choosing. Perfect fodder for then bringing in the slow intro of LOVE HANGOVER.

Always liked the exuberant attitude of this song , lyrically and compositionally.
    Totally agree. I recall buying the 7" single back in the day. A truly inspirational song with a fantastic lead vocal by Melba. Remains one of my all time favorites.

Totally agree. I recall buying the 7" single back in the day. A truly inspirational song with a fantastic lead vocal by Melba. Remains one of my all time favorites.
    I don't know why it didn't do better. Should've been Melba's "big" song. I sometimes think she was really tested in pulling it off vocally. There's a lot to it.

Another song on this release I visit regularly is:

Not many disco songs feature a harmonica, but here's one!!

I, too, have most of these tracks in my CD collection already, but I'll gladly support this release. Thanks, Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I don't know why it didn't do better. Should've been Melba's "big" song. I sometimes think she was really tested in pulling it off vocally. There's a lot to it.

Another song on this release I visit regularly is:

Not many disco songs feature a harmonica, but here's one!!
    It was Melba's "big"song in the UK. She had a few other hits too, but this is the one that gets most of the airplay on the oldies stations. What an absolute classic tune.

It was Melba's "big"song in the UK. She had a few other hits too, but this is the one that gets most of the airplay on the oldies stations. What an absolute classic tune.
    I agree, Bluebrock. The entire "This Is It" album is a Van McCoy masterpiece thanks to Melba AND Faith, Hope & Charity. Their back-up vocals are gorgeous throughout.

Hey guys, do you own that great remix album Dancin' With Melba - Expanded Edition cd?
    It includes the 12-inch version of This It it.
    I also have an original vinyl version of that album on Buddah

Hey Jack! I have the Melba Moore "This Is It" Expanded album CD which contains the 12" version of "This Is It". Have you heard the Tom Moulton mix? It isn't that different from the original, but it's still neat. Check it out:

(Thanks to Cap Oldies Belgium for uploading to YouTube.)

https://youtu.be/MgrcGK4b2Ys

And here she is performing "This Is It" on Soul Train:

(Uploaded to YouTube by Grant Smith)

https://youtu.be/IrTbhEWmJJY

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Hey guys, do you own that great remix album Dancin' With Melba - Expanded Edition cd?
    It includes the 12-inch version of This It it.
    I also have an original vinyl version of that album on Buddah
    Thanks for the heads up, Jack. I just ordered a a copy of the "Dancin' With Melba" CD. I had completely forgotten that Funky Town Grooves had somehow managed to chop off part of the intro on the 12" Mix of "This Is It" on Melba's "This Is It" Expanded CD. Hopefully, "Dancin' With Melba" will give me a perfect 12" version.

Oh! I'm glad to hear that! It barely cracked the Hot 100 here , basically a club song.

Oh , when I say she sounds tested vocally on it (imo), I should also say , she nonetheless, delivers , and I like the distinct quality of her voice and the way it works off of FH&C.

This is an interesting compilation , everybody on it gets one shot at a song.

Of course David Ruffin also had a turn with PEACE OF MIND :

I think Van heard a hit in this tune , and I agree. Too bad it didn't happen.