[REMOVE ADS]

Dee Dee Warwick Covers Diana "Now That There's You"

I love when my favorite singers cover each other...well I love when they cover each other and do it well. Here's Dee Dee, one of my absolute favorite voices ever, doing her take on one of my favorite Diana Ross songs "Now That There's You". I love the arrangement.

I love when my favorite singers cover each other...well I love when they cover each other and do it well.
    Exactly. I love to hear a different voice interpret a favorite song, preferably bringing something new to the song. This is a good cover.

I find that covers of Diana's hits just can't equal the original. It has something to do about Diana's way with a song. An exception was Dionne Warwick's live cover of Touch Me In The Morning someone posted a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Exactly. I love to hear a different voice interpret a favorite song, preferably bringing something new to the song. This is a good cover.
    I agree. I'm not a fan of cover versions that try to duplicate the original recording. I much prefer to have the singer bring their own interpretation to the song. Many recording Diana songs fail because they try to emulate her.

I’ve never heard anything by her except IGMYLM which I’m mild about - this, however, is fantastic and I am a convert concerning her voice. I shall look into her now - thanks for illuminating this great sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dee Dee shares another Ashford & Simpson song with Diana, although with a much different production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDupQGEh3g

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post

I find that covers of Diana's hits just can't equal the original. It has something to do about Diana's way with a song. An exception was Dionne Warwick's live cover of Touch Me In The Morning someone posted a while back.
    I'm not surprised that Dionne covered the song well. I couldn't find it searching SD but I found a version on Youtube and Dionne kills it. IMO The two singers are very similar in their strengths, so I would expect them to cover each other well. What Dionne songs have Diana covered? "House Is Not a Home" and "Anyone Who Had a Heart" are the two that come to mind. I really don't like "House" by anyone, but the Supremes/Tempts version is the only one I do. Diana does a great vocal on it. She was not in fine voice on "Anyone" but had she been at top form I think she would've done the song justice.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I agree. I'm not a fan of cover versions that try to duplicate the original recording. I much prefer to have the singer bring their own interpretation to the song. Many recording Diana songs fail because they try to emulate her.
    Agreed. I always say I subscribe to the Ruth Brown rule of covering a song: put your own spin on it so that it's almost an entirely different song. I think Diana's "Aint No Mountain High Enough" is the absolute best example of that. My fav covers of Diana/Supremes songs are the ones where the singer and produce do something different, like Margie Joseph on "Stop In the Name of Love", Marlena Shaw on "Touch Me In the Morning".

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm not surprised that Dionne covered the song well. I couldn't find it searching SD but I found a version on Youtube and Dionne kills it. IMO The two singers are very similar in their strengths, so I would expect them to cover each other well. What Dionne songs have Diana covered? "House Is Not a Home" and "Anyone Who Had a Heart" are the two that come to mind. I really don't like "House" by anyone, but the Supremes/Tempts version is the only one I do. Diana does a great vocal on it. She was not in fine voice on "Anyone" but had she been at top form I think she would've done the song justice.
    During the Supremes years, Diana recorded Dionne's LET THE MUSIC PLAY and DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE. In her solo career, Diana did Dionne's CLOSE TO YOU and HERE I AM.

If I remember correctly, Dionne did two versions of TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING. One was as a ballad, the other uptempo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I’ve never heard anything by her except IGMYLM which I’m mild about - this, however, is fantastic and I am a convert concerning her voice. I shall look into her now - thanks for illuminating this great sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    There's tons of stuff on youtube Maniac. If you're mild about "Make You Love Me" I don't know how wild you'll be about any of her other stuff, as I consider her version of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" nearly as good as the Supremes/Tempts. But she has fantastic stuff spanning well into the 1970s.

There's tons of stuff on youtube Maniac. If you're mild about "Make You Love Me" I don't know how wild you'll be about any of her other stuff, as I consider her version of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" nearly as good as the Supremes/Tempts. But she has fantastic stuff spanning well into the 1970s.
    A lot of her Dee Dee's Mercury material like WORTH EVERY TEAR I CRY, WE'RE DOING FINE, and FOOLISH FOOLS are great.

From her Atlantic years, I really like SHE DIDN'T KNOW, SUSPICIOUS MINDS, and COLD NIGHT IN GEORGIA.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Dee Dee shares another Ashford & Simpson song with Diana, although with a much different production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDupQGEh3g
    Yeah, this one is just meh for me. Sounds more like a cross between something the Honey Cone might have done and Josie and the Pussycats. It's a pass for me.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    A lot of her Dee Dee's Mercury material like WORTH EVERY TEAR I CRY, WE'RE DOING FINE, and FOOLISH FOOLS are great.

From her Atlantic years, I really like SHE DIDN'T KNOW, SUSPICIOUS MINDS, and COLD NIGHT IN GEORGIA.
    She does an excellent version of "I Can't Wait Until I See My Babys Face", but I'm a bit partial to the song since I've never heard a bad version. Not a single one. Also her version of "Yours Until Tomorrow". "It's Not Fair", "That's Not Love", "When Love Slips Away", "Don't Pay Them No Mind", "More Today Than Yesterday. So many great tunes. Underrated vocalist for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    During the Supremes years, Diana recorded Dionne's LET THE MUSIC PLAY and DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE. In her solo career, Diana did Dionne's CLOSE TO YOU and HERE I AM.

If I remember correctly, Dionne did two versions of TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING. One was as a ballad, the other uptempo.
    I forget "Let the Music Play" is a Dionne song. Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever heard her version. As a Supremes cut, it's one of my favorites. I'll have to look Dionne's version up and see how it compares.

I forget "Let the Music Play" is a Dionne song. Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever heard her version. As a Supremes cut, it's one of my favorites. I'll have to look Dionne's version up and see how it compares.
    Dionne's version was actually called MAKE THE MUSIC PLAY and was her third single.