[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Velvelettes

The Velvelettes

Does anyone know if The Velvelettes are still performing?

This is purely my own opinion and I am not saying this with any authority or inside information. When I saw Cal and Bertha at Duke's book signing last year Bertha expressed health concerns for another member of the group, so like many I was shocked when she died as I was not expecting her to pass away as she seemed at the time in good health. I would say without Bertha and knowing the health of another member, I would say it's likely they will no longer perform. Knowing how close Cal and Bertha were, I don't know if Cal would perform solo, even though she is the voice of the Velvelettes.
    Darin

Cal will perform solo.

It's nice to hear Cal will continue on solo John.

So do I! But without her Bertie, she is gonna find it tough

Whatever happens, there will always be 'The Velvelettes', for anyone who remembers the ladies individually or as a group, and for anyone who discovers their music in the future...

I hope so too. I am so pleased that there are still people that care.

Seeing Cal at the funeral was tough, so no doubt performing without Bertha will be difficult for her. She certainly has our support to continue on and keep the legacy going!
    Darin

Such sad news. Seems like it wasn't that long ago when we were all amazed at how young the group still looked, how great they still sounded, and how commendable that they were still together after all these years.

I bought "Needle in a Haystack" 45 NEW back in the day. It was a HUGE hit on Miami POP radio.Cal has her own distinctive voice so I hope she does continue to perform if she enjoys it.

The Velvelettes had some truly great and enduring releases, in their own right, and also when compared to other girl groups on other labels.

If there is an even more divine Motown recording than 'Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I', and also featuring a greater middle instrumental section, then I'll be damned if I can name it.

And then even bettered by both of Midnight Johnny's extended versions..