[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1

    fav album art and pics

    The Surpremes and Diana are so renown for their image that i'm surprised there aren't more amazing album covers and album art. They do have some very good ones.

    what's your fav cover? back cover? photo sessions?

    I have to say i'm partial to WDOLG lp. that was my first album and i'd sit and start at their pic on the front for so long.

    For diana solo, i'd pick The Boss. although DR 76 is a very strong one too

    I also think Floy Joy and MS&S are sensational covers too

  2. #2
    My favorite Supremes covers:
    Where Did Our Love Go
    More Hits by the Supremes
    I Hear A Symphony
    Love Child
    Cream of the Crop

    My favorite Diana covers:
    Diana Ross (1970)
    Surrender
    Diana Ross (1976)
    The Boss
    To Love Again

    Other faves:
    Ridin' High and Black Magic by the Vandellas
    If I Were Your Woman and Standing Ovation by The Pips
    Sophisticated Soul by the Marvelettes
    Four in Blue by the Miracles
    Four Tops' Second Album

  3. #3
    Black Magic is wonderful! but i thought it a little odd that Lois' face is more brightly lit than Martha's. Makes it look like Lois is the lead singer

  4. #4
    Diana solo i have to say DR76.striking sexy wicked cool
    Diana!
    Ross 83 sexy
    Take Me Higher

    Supremes
    Love child
    Sing Hdh
    Sing Rogers n Hart
    Reflections is cool
    i also like Talk Of the Town

    70s Supremes
    Floy Joy is my fav

  5. #5
    like mentioned above, WDOLG? used to just absorb me too. I used to wonder how they got green (Flo) gold (Mary) and blue (Diana) hair....I liked Reflections due to the # of pics, and Funny Girl had one great color centerfold and rear cover photo....TOUCH has a great 70's cover ...and of course the Jimmy Webb LP (only kidding!)

  6. #6
    Even though it is not a photograph, the album cover of “High Energy” has always been a favorite of mine and exudes everything the Supremes were.

  7. #7
    My favorite would have to be Diana Ross (1976). So simply striking and beautiful. Front and back. Supreme Diva.

    Other favorites: diana (1980), The Boss, Red Hot Rhythm & Blues, Stolen Moments

    My favorite Supremes cover is the blue double album Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 & 2. Classy package for the top American pop act of the 60's.

    Other favorites: Sing HDH, Love Child, Touch, Floy Joy, High Energy.

  8. #8
    Mine are:
    I hear a symphony
    A Go-Go (it shows the group in a dynamic way and Flo in the center)
    Love child
    Touch
    The Best of The Supremes featuring The Four Tops

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Right On
    HDH

  11. #11
    Meet The Supremes
    Ross 78
    An Evening With Diana Ross.

  12. #12
    Honestly, I'm pretty unimpressed with most of the Flo era album covers from the states. I think the best Supremes cover ever was the Sing Motown cover from overseas. Why that photo wasn't also the cover of Sing HDH is a mystery. Motown chose photos from 1965 for both of the last Flo era studio albums and it makes no sense. I saw someone on TV or maybe it was a photo somewhere of someone that had a whole wall of album covers and at some point I'm going to do my own twist on it. The Sing Motown album cover would have to be a must have for my wall. To me it said everything about what I love about the Supremes. It's a photo of them that seems to emphasis that they are indeed a group, at the same time each lady seems to be sitting in her own individualism. It's also clear that they're each sexy and she knows it. And the elegance and sophistication...it's clear that they're Supreme women and not Supreme girls of a "Baby Love" era. And if one had never heard them sing before, I think the cover would be an excellent judge of what they were probably capable of. If I changed anything about the cover it would probably be the background color.

    Name:  Supremes Motown.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  54.3 KB

    I also love the Love Child cover from DRATS and the Jean era Touch.

  13. #13
    Solo, I love the cover of Diana's Surrender, Ross 78 and The Boss. I would probably have Surrender on my album cover wall. I also love the cover of Mary's 1979 album. Beautiful shot of her that I might would add to the wall also.

    Name:  Mary Wilson.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  78.1 KB

  14. #14
    i've often wondered why the US didn't use more picture sleeves while basically every international release got one

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've often wondered why the US didn't use more picture sleeves while basically every international release got one
    Economics. They pressed and sold far more 45 singles domestically and to print special picture sleeves for the volume they were releasing and selling in those days would have been cost prohibitive. That's the answer I got from Motown directly about 25 years ago LOL!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Honestly, I'm pretty unimpressed with most of the Flo era album covers from the states. I think the best Supremes cover ever was the Sing Motown cover from overseas. Why that photo wasn't also the cover of Sing HDH is a mystery. Motown chose photos from 1965 for both of the last Flo era studio albums and it makes no sense. I saw someone on TV or maybe it was a photo somewhere of someone that had a whole wall of album covers and at some point I'm going to do my own twist on it. The Sing Motown album cover would have to be a must have for my wall. To me it said everything about what I love about the Supremes. It's a photo of them that seems to emphasis that they are indeed a group, at the same time each lady seems to be sitting in her own individualism. It's also clear that they're each sexy and she knows it. And the elegance and sophistication...it's clear that they're Supreme women and not Supreme girls of a "Baby Love" era. And if one had never heard them sing before, I think the cover would be an excellent judge of what they were probably capable of. If I changed anything about the cover it would probably be the background color.

    Name:  Supremes Motown.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  54.3 KB

    I also love the Love Child cover from DRATS and the Jean era Touch.
    I used this picture and prepared it for a photo for my first car on the back. But things changed.....as I saw Dionne Warwick´s cover of Make way and I red that at the same time The Supremes hiting the charts 1964 with WDOLG and scepter try to copy the success, create a One-Woman-Supreme on the Cover, to help for a better chart position for walk on by, a new idea was born and I create a DRATS pic with Dionne.

    In the middle Dionne´s EP Cover Windows of the world (vogue)
    Right and left EP Cover Any old time of the day (vogue) reflected, that the faces look on her face in the middle. So I have now the supremest Dionne ever ;-)

  17. #17
    A Go Go would have to be up there. I love the colour.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Honestly, I'm pretty unimpressed with most of the Flo era album covers from the states. I think the best Supremes cover ever was the Sing Motown cover from overseas. Why that photo wasn't also the cover of Sing HDH is a mystery. Motown chose photos from 1965 for both of the last Flo era studio albums and it makes no sense. I saw someone on TV or maybe it was a photo somewhere of someone that had a whole wall of album covers and at some point I'm going to do my own twist on it. The Sing Motown album cover would have to be a must have for my wall. To me it said everything about what I love about the Supremes. It's a photo of them that seems to emphasis that they are indeed a group, at the same time each lady seems to be sitting in her own individualism. It's also clear that they're each sexy and she knows it. And the elegance and sophistication...it's clear that they're Supreme women and not Supreme girls of a "Baby Love" era. And if one had never heard them sing before, I think the cover would be an excellent judge of what they were probably capable of. If I changed anything about the cover it would probably be the background color.

    I also love the Love Child cover from DRATS and the Jean era Touch.
    Honestly, RanRan, I usually don't have to post because you say all the things I want to say anyway. But sometimes I do because, well, I wanna.
    In this case, I have to say The Supremes Sing Motown album cover isn't a favorite. To me, it looks more like a photo for a magazine article. I really like the
    Sing HDH cover, although you are right that the photo is from 1965, not 1967. Still, it's an iconic image and I love the attitudes of all three in it.
    I don't know if you're familiar with the cover of the UK TamlaMotown album Diana Ross & The Supremes 20 Golden Greats (with the three red lips and golden microphones). I forgot to list that one as one of my favorite all-time album covers. I had it framed and it hangs on one of my walls.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Economics. They pressed and sold far more 45 singles domestically and to print special picture sleeves for the volume they were releasing and selling in those days would have been cost prohibitive. That's the answer I got from Motown directly about 25 years ago LOL!
    interesting! makes sense since the volume sold in US was far greater than international

  20. #20
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Baby It's Me! I love how it casts Diana as a sepia-toned, old-school Hollywood, George-Hurrell-esque siren. Fierce and utterly fabulous.

  21. #21
    I like Baby It's Me very much. Very classssssy.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I like Baby It's Me very much. Very classssssy.
    Yes, indeed. I also like how the cover art cleverly pulls back the curtain on the photographic process, with the lamp and backdrop in full view. Combined with the lines of her pose and attitude...just *chef kiss* in every way.
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-09-2019 at 08:55 PM.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Honestly, RanRan, I usually don't have to post because you say all the things I want to say anyway. But sometimes I do because, well, I wanna.
    In this case, I have to say The Supremes Sing Motown album cover isn't a favorite. To me, it looks more like a photo for a magazine article. I really like the
    Sing HDH cover, although you are right that the photo is from 1965, not 1967. Still, it's an iconic image and I love the attitudes of all three in it.
    I don't know if you're familiar with the cover of the UK TamlaMotown album Diana Ross & The Supremes 20 Golden Greats (with the three red lips and golden microphones). I forgot to list that one as one of my favorite all-time album covers. I had it framed and it hangs on one of my walls.
    That's cool Lucky. Actually there's a better shot from this session that appears in Mary's first book. I like that one most, but for me the cover of Sing Motown is fantastic. I looked up the cover to 20 Golden Greats. It's interesting and creative but I prefer covers that actually show the faces of the ladies. They were too gorgeous and sexy to replace with lips and mics.

  24. #24
    ^ Lol. I remember the first Diana Ross & The Supremes: No. 1s. The ladies' heads were lopped off. What was up with that?!

    Thankfully we have plenty of gorgeous full images of the Supremes.

    The three mouths at the three microphones could only ever signify the Supremes, to me and most anyone in this world.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I like Baby It's Me very much. Very classssssy.
    ah yes - i'd forgotten this one. for some reason BIM just isn't top of mind for me ever. it's a fine album and very enjoyable but i rarely remember to listen to it.

  26. #26
    I love the Gold HDH cover....along with the original issue of Connie Francis at the Copa which used a gold foil type cover, I refer to these 2 as my "deli smoked whitefish" cover collection..
    other favs: Supremes 75, Floy Joy and Ross 78 painting....most glamorous? GH Vol 2 from the UK 1968 shot w/ white furs....included in USA Anthology booklet

  27. #27
    "I Hear a Symphony" cover because its classical look matches the album's musical content. I've often wondered through the years if this was an early version of photoshopping where a photo of each lady was taken and then combined to make one dynamic picture. Yes, it does appear that it could have been a one sitting photo take; however, it gives the impression, in my opinion, that it's a collage of the three ladies carefully placed to make one picture.

    "More Hits" is another favorite because it captures the Supremes in their pre-glamour days and makes them look approachable.

    "Supremes A' Go Go" Another one that captures the essence of the music contained in the album. I love the colors.

    "Baby, It's Me" - Can we say that this one is oozing with glamorous sexiness?

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post

    The three mouths at the three microphones could only ever signify the Supremes, to me and most anyone in this world.
    Two words: the Andantes.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    "I Hear a Symphony" cover because its classical look matches the album's musical content. I've often wondered through the years if this was an early version of photoshopping where a photo of each lady was taken and then combined to make one dynamic picture. Yes, it does appear that it could have been a one sitting photo take; however, it gives the impression, in my opinion, that it's a collage of the three ladies carefully placed to make one picture.

    "More Hits" is another favorite because it captures the Supremes in their pre-glamour days and makes them look approachable.

    "Supremes A' Go Go" Another one that captures the essence of the music contained in the album. I love the colors.

    "Baby, It's Me" - Can we say that this one is oozing with glamorous sexiness?
    I don't think the ladies are "photoshopped". I think it's the photo as taken, just with the black smeared in, which is one reason why I dislike the cover. I think the bird may be imaged in, though.

    The reason you like the "More Hits" cover is the reason I don't. Lol I prefer the Supremes looking glamorous or very hip. And I hate those awful ruffles Mary is wearing. Matter of fact I really think what I hate about the cover of More Hits is Mary's ruffles. Yes, it's official. That is the reason I don't like the cover.

    I do like A Go Go. I think the pink is a great color for a Supremes album. Surprised it wasn't used more often. If only they had given Diana something else to wear. She looks like the odd ball of the group. Interesting that Flo is placed in the middle. Says to me Motown was definitely still invested in the group image of the Supremes and not yet the lead singer separation image that would become DRATS after Florence left.

  30. #30
    My absolute fav US album Supremes cover is Greatest Hits. That's a very beautiful artist rendering of the girls. The original blue cover is nice, but I prefer the red cover that was considered "vol 2" when it was apparently sold separately? I know red was the cover of my vol 2 cassette.

    Name:  Supremes GH.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  90.3 KB

    Looks like there was even a purple version.

    Name:  Supremes GH 2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  93.3 KB

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    My absolute fav US album Supremes cover is Greatest Hits. That's a very beautiful artist rendering of the girls. The original blue cover is nice, but I prefer the red cover that was considered "vol 2" when it was apparently sold separately? I know red was the cover of my vol 2 cassette.

    Name:  Supremes GH.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  90.3 KB

    Looks like there was even a purple version.

    Name:  Supremes GH 2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  93.3 KB
    I don't think the 1967 GREATEST HITS collection was ever sold in seperate parts. If so, I have never seen it. Maybe they might have done it in territories outside of the US, where you often find albums and covers that never made it to the States.

    That said, I do know that when they first released it on cd, it was in the 2 CLASSIC ALBUMS cd series. As such, they tried to make it seem as it was really two seperate albums instead of the hits collection that it was. Since all of the other cds in the series had a photo of the albums on front, they did the same for this one. But they had one blue album and one rose album. Maybe they did the same for cassettes.

  32. #32
    ^in the 80s when they did this as a cassette or cd, they were sold separately. That's why, i believe, they did the alternate color on Volume 2. Plus they also had Volume 3 in print and so it made a bit more sense if all of the albums were in the bins at the record store

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ^in the 80s when they did this as a cassette or cd, they were sold separately. That's why, i believe, they did the alternate color on Volume 2. Plus they also had Volume 3 in print and so it made a bit more sense if all of the albums were in the bins at the record store
    I should have specified that I was speaking of the Vols. 1 and 2 of the 1967 GREATEST HITS collection being sold separately on vinyl. But I certainly do remember when the Motown Compact Classic cd series came out and they sold Vols. 1 and 2 separately with the alternate cover colors.

  34. #34
    ah - yeah you're right. i don't believe that in they ever brought apart the lp set into separate vinyl volumes. Internationally they did a Greatest Hits as 1 lp and just cut out most of the album tracks and lesser songs.

  35. #35
    Its a toss up on the original girls with "A Go Go" and "Sing HDH". My favorite Diana Ross and The Supremes cover is "Love Child" hands down.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ah - yeah you're right. i don't believe that in they ever brought apart the lp set into separate vinyl volumes. Internationally they did a Greatest Hits as 1 lp and just cut out most of the album tracks and lesser songs.
    In the mid-seventies I purchased an 8-track tape of Greatest Hits. It was titled volume 1 and included the classic blue cover. One curious thing about the release, along with the ten songs from the 1st LP, Put Yourself In My Place and Remove This Doubt were included to bring the tally to 12 songs split into 4 channels. I always wondered which songs were added to volume 2, but never ran across a copy...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.