[REMOVE ADS]

John Singleton, Director Dies at 51

He was major. I enjoyed all of his work:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/a...e-support.html

This one is mighty close to home. I celebrated when a fellow African-American twentysomething made a big splash with his directorial debut, Boyz n the Hood. I followed his career moves avidly. His talent and sensibility will be sorely missed. Rest in power; well done, sir.

Can't stand to hear about people dying who are younger than I am. I'm a big Boyz N The Hood and Higher Learning fan. I'm a bigger fan of people who take control of their careers and make names for themselves creatively. Sad sad news.

Let's hear it for Rosewood as well. It's a sorely overlooked masterpiece about a horrid blot on American history; this film is absolutely indispensable '90s Hollywood cinema. Singleton was really somebody special.
    Last edited by sansradio; 04-30-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Let's hear it for Rosewood as well. It's a sorely overlooked masterpiece about a horrid blot on American history and absolutely indispensable '90s Hollywood cinema. Singleton was really somebody special.
    Rosewood was excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Rosewood was excellent!
    Man, there is one image in that film that legit gave me nightmares. Powerful as hell.

I'll always remember John Singleton for his first movie, Boyz 'N The Hood. Rest In Power John.

Also a fan of "Snowfall" in which he directed. RIP to a much talented director.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Let's hear it for Rosewood as well. It's a sorely overlooked masterpiece about a horrid blot on American history; this film is absolutely indispensable '90s Hollywood cinema. Singleton was really somebody special.
    Absolutely. He Hollywooded the story, but it didn't come across disrespectful or distasteful. It's probably my favorite Singleton film.