[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Supremes

The Supremes

Folks, it is with sadness that I've come to the place where the nasty comments about all the Supremes have become too much. I'm interested in The Supremes and have been since a lad of 14 so I've put in 54 years with them and Motown.

I do read the Diana Ross and The Supremes thread because, on occasion, there are some interesting discussions but it doesn't take long for most of them to delve into the divisive postings that ruin the threads. Good grief, how long do you have to debate and denigrate all of them? At times it seems like we're in the 6th grade and the defenders of each Supreme just have to have their say. Can't you just let it go? I mean, does it really matter? Why respond to a comment that pisses you off? It sets up this crazy cycle that goes on and on and on.

We all know that Diana Ross became a worldwide recognized celebrity and that's been the case for over 50 years. Good for her. She worked very hard and had the talent to propel herself into this position. There is no doubt about that. I've gone hot and cold with her over the years but as I've aged I have come to highly respect her and am glad that she is receiving all of the honors over the past few years.

Mary Wilson -- I believe she is an acquired taste and for me I've seen her Up Personal and Close show a number of times and prefer that type of music. When she does the Supreme's hits I cringe except for a couple of numbers that she does really well such as "My World Is Empty Without You" and "Someday, We'll Be Together." That said, can't her detractors at least give her credit for carving out a small career and at 75 is still performing? Does it matter if the venue seats 50? Really? It's as if the detractors relish in that fact. For heavens sake she never found super stardom; we all know that so why not just give her the props she deserves for maintaining for such a long time?

I've seen all the other Supremes get taken to the woodshed in other threads, especially Linda. Again, I believe all groupings had talent and deserve respect. It's depressing to a long-time fan that my favorite group in the world has been diminished by the terrible comments I've read on Soulful Detroit.

But what I can enjoy is that I was "there" when the hit it big and relished each and every TV show they were on in the 60's. And, watching them ascend to the top was fascinating.

So, in closing, I only posted this to get it off my chest as I was going to quit coming here but thought I should just write from my heart and then let it go and continue to enjoy Soulful Detroit.
    Last edited by motownlover1964; 04-26-2019 at 11:04 AM.

You're not alone by a long shot. This has been going on for decades from very immature adults that love to take any joy out of The Supremes legacy. Sometimes you just have to speak out against this crap. motownlover1964, don't let it corrode your enjoyment. That belongs to you.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 04-26-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Well said, motownlover1964.

I agree with nathanj06. It really comes down to immaturity and people who predominantly identify with their ego. Not all, but a lot of fans, by nature, just like people in general, like to choose sides, in order to create an identity for themselves. We see it with religions, political parties, etc. People will defend that identity at all costs, in the name of "being right". Defending truth and morality is good in my books, but it's when you start to take it to the extreme and begin to hurt yourself and everyone around you, that's where the problems start. We see this type of behaviour on this forum. Some people seem to get a kick out of it. A lot of it is futile, wasteful and destructive. We are individually responsible for the energy we emit in this universe. They may think these childish games on the forum are funny now, but it will indeed come back to you in some shape or form. If you are a fan who has the ability to move past of all of that, and you are able to enjoy everything for what it is...the music and each of the ladies from the Supremes, then that is all that matters. You are driving in the joyful lane of life. That's a good place to be.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-26-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    Folks, it is with sadness that I've come to the place where the nasty comments about all the Supremes have become too much. I'm interested in The Supremes and have been since a lad of 14 so I've put in 54 years with them and Motown.

I do read the Diana Ross and The Supremes thread because, on occasion, there are some interesting discussions but it doesn't take long for most of them to delve into the divisive postings that ruin the threads. Good grief, how long do you have to debate and denigrate all of them? At times it seems like we're in the 6th grade and the defenders of each Supreme just have to have their say. Can't you just let it go? I mean, does it really matter? Why respond to a comment that pisses you off? It sets up this crazy cycle that goes on and on and on.

We all know that Diana Ross became a worldwide recognized celebrity and that's been the case for over 50 years. Good for her. She worked very hard and had the talent to propel herself into this position. There is no doubt about that. I've gone hot and cold with her over the years but as I've aged I have come to highly respect her and am glad that she is receiving all of the honors over the past few years.

Mary Wilson -- I believe she is an acquired taste and for me I've seen her Up Personal and Close show a number of times and prefer that type of music. When she does the Supreme's hits I cringe except for a couple of numbers that she does really well such as "My World Is Empty Without You" and "Someday, We'll Be Together." That said, can't her detractors at least give her credit for carving out a small career and at 75 is still performing? Does it matter if the venue seats 50? Really? It's as if the detractors relish in that fact. For heavens sake she never found super stardom; we all know that so why not just give her the props she deserves for maintaining for such a long time?

I've seen all the other Supremes get taken to the woodshed in other threads, especially Linda. Again, I believe all groupings had talent and deserve respect. It's depressing to a long-time fan that my favorite group in the world has been diminished by the terrible comments I've read on Soulful Detroit.

But what I can enjoy is that I was "there" when the hit it big and relished each and every TV show they were on in the 60's. And, watching them ascend to the top was fascinating.

So, in closing, I only posted this to get it off my chest as I was going to quit coming here but thought I should just write from my heart and then let it go and continue to enjoy Soulful Detroit.
    You make real great points and reading and rereading and rereading your post has made me think that its time i started taking the high road again. Thank you for posting this.

Fondly,

Roberta

For me, clearing out of here simply over those hostilities would just be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I just laugh at the ridiculous juvenility of the snipings — and they really do provoke laughter quite often. Usually, I just gloss over them unless they promise some perverse entertainment.

There’s so much to learn and discuss here that these trollings can be entirely dismissed easily enough. All they do is point up the psychological issues of those who post them. These folks anticipate with great relish the opportunity to scrap over nothing, and probably not only in here but in other areas of their lives as well. Some people just live for confrontation. Most of us are bigger than that.

"...love don't come easy,
    it's a game of give and take.."

Soulful Detroit is the best place to come for love of Motown, but I quietly feel that some posts could 'give' a little of the love, instead of only 'take', with the use of destructive and personal criticism.

First of all, be careful about posting your criticisms of the negativity here. A couple of us voiced our thoughts about the negativity in a thread a few months ago and were promptly accused of "bitching" by the leadership. So that should tell you a little something about why some of the negative posters seem so comfortable. But more importantly, you better not let these trolls chase you out of here. There really is far more to be enjoyed in the forum than the negative. The only way I'll leave is if I'm banned. Just find the good discussions and participate. Agree to disagree with some, block some others. You'll be okay.

exactly - the only way this forum will be of value is if those of us that really care about the group and the history are willing to participate in a civil and level-headed manner. The goal here is to share, learn and discuss. not berate and insult.

I'd encourage you to stay. When a post starts to drift to the dark side, either try posting something to pull it back or just move to another post. Also don't hesitate to start new posts. Just yesterday i started the one on the Touch LP Discussion and quite a few great and fun responses have already been made.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    exactly - the only way this forum will be of value is if those of us that really care about the group and the history are willing to participate in a civil and level-headed manner. The goal here is to share, learn and discuss. not berate and insult.

I'd encourage you to stay. When a post starts to drift to the dark side, either try posting something to pull it back or just move to another post. Also don't hesitate to start new posts. Just yesterday i started the one on the Touch LP Discussion and quite a few great and fun responses have already been made.
    This coming from one of the biggest trolls in the forum. You're fooling nobody buddy, with your lets discuss the Touch LP thread. You were dying to get a fight going about whether or not Mary and Cindy are on "Time and Love".

hahaha - don't get me started Ran. If i start taking off these earrings, you better run girl!

Dear Motownlover1964, I found your post above rather interesting. What you wrote about is the perfect illustration of what I have wondered for years regarding the Supremes and some of the strife that is attached to them.

The original intent of starting this specific forum was to keep all things "Supreme" separated from the rest of the forum due to the vitriol that it caused. My original intent was to let everyone fight it out without interference from me and as long as it stayed on this forum, I couldn't care less.

But a funny thing happened. To my surprise, the forum that I expected the worst from turned out to be quite interesting with very little problems. I find myself reading more of it than I ever thought possible from lessons of the past.

So Motownlover1964, I'm glad you've decided to stick around. As I've said so many times in the past, it's only music. We seem to agree.

The separate forums work quite well; I believe many members think so

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The separate forums work quite well; I believe many members think so
    I agree; this is just my opinion, but I believe a portion of the negativity and bickering stemmed from the sheer volume of Diana/Supreme postings by comparison with the other Motown artists. Those wanting to discuss other artists could understandably become frustrated. Add to this mix the posters who clearly enjoyed stirring the pot and you have potential drama.

I believe this separation was a thoughtful solution and has led to a much more peaceful forum...