[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Mary Wilson recalls ‘Diane’ Ross, Motown family

Mary tells how so many old-time Motowners were sitting in MOTOWN 60 audience and were not acknowledged.

Mary said, “I had to stand up, to be noticed, and I went to the producers and said, ‘What are you doing?’ ”. She gave them some of the history of Motown. It worked. The producers flew her back in, got her camera ready, and re-interviewed her for a segment that was broadcast on MOTOWN 60.

Mary also tells why she still calls Diana "Diane". She says that it is how she was known when the two met in their early teens.

Mary said, “I call her that because that’s how I have always known her. It’s a family thing."

We used to call my brother Junior. But when he was around 20 or 21, he asked us all to call him by his given name. It took some getting used to because we had always known him as Junior. But we respected his request and stopped calling him Junior. Respect. It's a family thing.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entert...amily-1649479/

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Mary tells how so many old-time Motowners were sitting in MOTOWN 60 audience and were not acknowledged.

Mary said, “I had to stand up, to be noticed, and I went to the producers and said, ‘What are you doing?’ ”. She gave them some of the history of Motown. It worked. The producers flew her back in, got her camera ready, and re-interviewed her for a segment that was broadcast on MOTOWN 60.

Mary also tells why she still calls Diana "Diane". She says that it is how she was known when the two met in their early teens.

Mary said, “I call her that because that’s how I have always known her. It’s a family thing."

We used to call my brother Junior. But when he was around 20 or 21, he asked us all to call him by his given name. It took some getting used to because we had always known him as Junior. But we respected his request and stopped calling him Junior. Respect. It's a family thing.

LOLOLOLOLOL at her "family thing" BS. And made sure she called her pal Roger Friedman and stretched the truth about her "sister" Diane saying she didn't want a Supremes segment when sister Diane was only asked to do songs from her movies for and by Mr Gordy. I love this part "Wilson, seated away from Gordy and Ross during the show, did not meet with Ross during the telecast. The two are not in contact"

Mary said the other day she called Diane about her gown book and Diane was pleased. Get your stories right lady. Check out Mary at 3.24 mark when she says she spoke to Diane the other day. I didnt believe it the other day and i dont believe it now.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/more/motow...ca5996988.html
    Last edited by Roberta75; 04-25-2019 at 11:35 PM.

I love Mary but sometimes she makes it hard for me to really root for her half the time...

That's my lady! She ain't gonna stand for it! There cannot be a "Motown Special" and not have Mary Wilson at all.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-26-2019 at 12:48 PM.

I'm sure her comments were ... hypnotizing ...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I love Mary but sometimes she makes it hard for me to really root for her half the time...
    Ditto and why would Mary write this on her Facebook page. Its real bizarre imo.

Intro

Mary Wilson will be celebrating her Sixtie years in show biz in 2019 along with Diana Ross.

^ Okay, that's bizarre for real...

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Ditto and why would Mary write this on her Facebook page. Its real bizarre imo.

Intro

Mary Wilson will be celebrating her Sixtie years in show biz in 2019 along with Diana Ross.

Very bizarre. She really is still so obsessed with Diana Ross.

Thank God for Mary telling it like it is! Keep telling it Mary!

I took it right away as meaning they both are celebrating 60 years in the biz as individuals. But you guys have a field day as usual. Nit pick anything Mary Wilson has to say. Do any of you have any other hobbies besides bitching about Supremes members? I know you're lives are all perfection but give it a rest. There are certainly more positive things to say about them than this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    I took it right away as meaning they both are celebrating 60 years in the biz as individuals. But you guys have a field day as usual. Nit pick anything Mary Wilson has to say. Do any of you have any other hobbies besides bitching about Supremes members? I know you're lives are all perfection but give it a rest. There are certainly more positive things to say about them than this nonsense.
    Then good for you but if you dont like us calling out her nonsense then place us on ignore. Its a real simple thing to do. I think its real odd to put that on facebook like they are working together.

In fairness to Mary, I've never read anything where Diana asked those who knew her as Diane to call her anything but Diane. My understanding is that Diana is the name she wishes to use for professional reasons and most of the people who knew her as Diane back in the day- including her family- refer to her as Diane with no disrespect intended. When you read "Diane" in posts by random posters on Soulful Detroit, that is a sign of disrespect. Mary is not out of bounds here.

When you read "Diane" in posts by random posters on Soulful Detroit, that is a sign of disrespect.

Good post Ran Ran.

I doubt Diana Ross gives one thought a year to what Mary Wilson calls her and says about her.

Mary has to do what she has to do to make the living she says she still needs. Let her do it. She has to" talk Diana Ross" and "talk Supremes" because no one will pay her any attention if she talks about something else. What else is she to talk about? Red Hot? Her hits? Mark Bego?

Mary's "idle chat" and "Diana chat" is seen for what it is these days. She would be better advised to take a lesson from Martha Reeves - cut the enthusiasm back a bit; show your happiness and appreciation that Berry Gordy started Motown and you got to be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    In fairness to Mary, I've never read anything where Diana asked those who knew her as Diane to call her anything but Diane. My understanding is that Diana is the name she wishes to use for professional reasons and most of the people who knew her as Diane back in the day- including her family- refer to her as Diane with no disrespect intended. When you read "Diane" in posts by random posters on Soulful Detroit, that is a sign of disrespect. Mary is not out of bounds here.
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    When you read "Diane" in posts by random posters on Soulful Detroit, that is a sign of disrespect.

Good post Ran Ran.
    Amen to all of this.

Good post and explanation. Thanks. Makes sense.

I'd also like to add on to what RanRan wrote. There have been many times I've heard other Motown artists/producers/songwriters [[Smokey, Martha, Roz, Berry, Cornelius Grant, etc.) refer to her as Diane. When I interviewed costume designer LaVetta, she said Diane several times throughout the interview. When Diana inducted HDH into the Rock Hall back in 1990, Brian Holland thanked various people and then turned to her and said "And thank you Diane." As RanRan said, those who knew then have a right to call her Diane. We don't.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-26-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'd also like to add on to what RanRan wrote. There have been many times I've heard other Motown artists/producers/songwriters [[Smokey, Martha, Roz, Berry, Cornelius Grant, etc.) refer to her as Diane. When I interviewed costume designer LaVetta, she said Diane several times throughout the interview. When Diana inducted HDH into the Rock Hall back in 1990, Brian Holland thanked various people and then turned to her and said "And thank you Diane." As RanRan said, those who knew then have a right to call her Diane. We don't.
    Bravo.

And the reason the "crap" hits the fan so often on this Forum is that "some" or "one" of us thinks they have the right to call her Diane or worse.

Bravo.

And the reason the "crap" hits the fan so often on this Forum is that "some" or "one" of us thinks they have the right to call her Diane or worse.
    It's marvelous that some of us know from where the poison bubbles.

Only Mary, Flo and her friends and family call her that. And that should remain.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Only Mary, Flo and her friends and family call her that. And that should remain.
    That is so very true midnightman.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Then good for you but if you dont like us calling out her nonsense then place us on ignore. Its a real simple thing to do. I think its real odd to put that on facebook like they are working together.

Maybe you should seek solace from your Savior my dear woman. Best to you.

Honestly, I never understood the big deal with this. I don't think Diana ever told anyone from the projects or childhood days to stop calling her Diane.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Honestly, I never understood the big deal with this. I don't think Diana ever told anyone from the projects or childhood days to stop calling her Diane.
    I think it’s only a big deal to 2 people!

We used to call my brother Junior.

It is fine in a private setting, but in a professional setting it is respectful to use one's professional name.

I would tend to believe that she prefers to be referred to and addressed as "Diane" by her family and friends from 'back in the day.' My parents [[in the 50s), never did have my name put on my birth certificate leaving that section blank. I was just always referred to as "Johnny". When I turned 18, I had the court to legally list my name as "John" because [[1) there was a need to have legal documentation [[2) I wanted to move from the boyish "Johnny" name. While I started using "John" with new acquaintances and professionally, my old friends and family continued with calling me "Johnny." I have no problem with that. In fact, when my family refers to me as "John", I actually 'correct' them!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I would tend to believe that she prefers to be referred to and addressed as "Diane" by her family and friends from 'back in the day.' My parents [[in the 50s), never did have my name put on my birth certificate leaving that section blank. I was just always referred to as "Johnny". When I turned 18, I had the court to legally list my name as "John" because [[1) there was a need to have legal documentation [[2) I wanted to move from the boyish "Johnny" name. While I started using "John" with new acquaintances and professionally, my old friends and family continued with calling me "Johnny." I have no problem with that. In fact, when my family refers to me as "John", I actually 'correct' them!
    Just curious, but why did they leave your name blank?

If it is the case that Diana and Mary are cordial if distant, Diane is fine coming from Mary.

If Mary uses Diane to emphasize and confirm a non existent closeness and connection to Diane, that is immoral but it is also just a matter between Mary, the mirror and her maker, and it’s for her to choose .

My guess is that Diana Ross doesn’t give a good two hoots