[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Those die cut /peek a boo covers were used a lot in the early 70's....5 slides into your crowded record collection later they always shredded and ripped...My poor Honey Cone "Soulful Tapestry" LP suffered that fate...THAT was 1 LP I was thrilled to get on CD.. I was surprised they didn't mix One Monkey into one long track

haha - wear and opening the gatefold covers a lot eventually cause the seam to weaken. but they were so cool to sit and gaze at the photos or whatever was printed inside.

I will say that they could have been a bit more imaginative with the NW and Mag7 inner covers. once you opened them up, it wasn't all that exciting.

Imagine if the inner cover of NWBLS had a bunch more photos, maybe a few quotes and little snippets from the girls talking about what fun they're having as the new Sups. you could have had more of the sequin and gown photos in there, rather than showing through the diecuts. plus another pose or 2 of the afro pics.

i think the back cover would have looked great using this pic:

Attachment 15406

that is a wonderful pic...with many rock LPS once the first few years of run were up and the issue went into catalogue the die cuts, textured covers and printed inner sleeves were gone....just prior to CD's coming out, I upgraded my turntable and replaced most of my vinyl...I got tons of new copies of still in print stuff at Tower and The Wiz for $3.69. It seems they started making vinyl that sounded a lot clearer at the time...A very BIG mistake I made was replacing my 60's Mono LP's with VG+ or sealed Stereo LPs from collectors shops...Supremes LP's included. I had mono issues of everything prior to the Blue 2 LP hits set. When I was collecting like mad I had a Mono Love Child, and a copy of Cream of The Crop with the tambourine intro to Someday..

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    ....When I was collecting like mad I had a Mono Love Child, and a copy of Cream of The Crop with the tambourine intro to Someday..
    Aha. Confirmation at last. I have been saying this for years. On the day of release, I got CREAM and it had the tambourine intro to SOMEDAY. For some reason, I later replaced my copy and the Tamborine intro was gone. I don't recall if it was mono or stereo.

I also had regrets of replacing my Mono Supreme LPs with Stereo. I loved the stereo, but the mixes were different than the 45's that I had bought and played. The most noticeable difference to me was I HEAR A SYMPHONY, where the mix put Flo and Mary way in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    that's a great point that the sound and interesting effects on NJ were completely ignored for all of the other tracks. they were so unique and special that you'd think they'd at least experiment some more and incorporate
    Russ Terrana did an interview [[saw it on youtube) and I believe he said he was demonstrating a new fader/phaser for another artist, and the track that he just happened to be mixing was Nathan Jones....they agreed that it sounded great used on Nathan...I thought it symbolized a plane taking off.

i've always liked the synth effect too. and it does have a "jet engine" quality about it

just find it curious that they didn't continue to experiment with any other treatments and include in another track or two

SDF posting on Elton John biopic reminded me that he wrote the liner notes for Touch.
    Your Song is one of my favorite songs ever but I didn't know much about him at the time.

I think "Touch" is one of the most cohesive LPs, along with "New Ways," of the Jean Terrell-led Supremes. I remember reading somewhere that it was the first Supremes LP ever to be reviewed by Rolling Stone Magazine, who gave it a very good review. I'm sure it wasn't an accident to have Elton John write the liner notes and then try to ensure that Rolling Stone would review it.

But where is Jimi LaLumia? I know he hates the song "Touch" and feels it was a big mistake as a single!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think "Touch" is one of the most cohesive LPs, along with "New Ways," of the Jean Terrell-led Supremes. I remember reading somewhere that it was the first Supremes LP ever to be reviewed by Rolling Stone Magazine, who gave it a very good review. I'm sure it wasn't an accident to have Elton John write the liner notes and then try to ensure that Rolling Stone would review it.

But where is Jimi LaLumia? I know he hates the song "Touch" and feels it was a big mistake as a single!
    I read that Cindy Birdsong asked Elton John to write the notes. They had become friendly when his band Bluesology backed up Cindy and the Bluebelles on their first European tour.

Wow, I had no idea Elton John wrote the liner notes for Touch. That's pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Wow, I had no idea Elton John wrote the liner notes for Touch. That's pretty good!
    It was nice of him, but the Supremes were HUGE at that time and he had maybe one or two hits here in America. He use play piano for Cindy Birdsong and Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles when they toured England. That was the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was nice of him, but the Supremes were HUGE at that time and he had maybe one or two hits here in America. He use play piano for Cindy Birdsong and Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles when they toured England. That was the connection.
    Marv I can’t remember the details, but isn’t there “something else” behind Elton writing that endorsement. I can’t can’t look at Mary’s second book since I loaned it out to my sister’s book club. Thanks in advance. I know I owe u an email abt my conversation with Martha.