[REMOVE ADS]

What if.... Diana and Berry had married

would this have negatively impacted her career - would the public have accepted it?

seems like they were still an item through the Farewell period and that once she went solo, things pretty quickly fell apart [[in terms of their being a couple). One story is that when she discovered she was pregnant, she also found out that he was still sleeping with Chris Clark and that helped to end the idea of her marrying him

I thought she wanted to marry him but he didn't want to marry her. That's usually how it is. The girl was in love and many have written or recalled that she seemed to be head over heels for him while although he loved her, he still saw her as some kind of commodity. That's not the makings of a great relationship. So in answer to the question if they had married, I think her career would've been impacted negatively. I think she'd get to the point where she wanted a man not a manager and he might always seem himself as manager first, husband second. The strife might've messed up an already messed up singles schedule.

my interpretation is that they both would have considered marrying the other but that they had very different expectations as to how that marriage would and what the rules would be. Berry has always been a womanizer and would have continued to have extramarital affairs. Diana would NOT have liked or accepted this. So i think they might have married but it would have definitely ended in divorce

I do think that had they married in 70 or so, it might not have been a good thing from a career standpoint. I think it would have damaged her image more as the public and people would simply think she was getting all of the best material and promotional support cuz she's the boss' wife.

My first thought was Ike and Tina Turner and then Mary Wilson and Pedro and then Celine. I could not think of one marriage hat continued successfully or without being tragic. I think Diana and Berry realized they wanted the same direction of success but had different ideas on how to get there once they grew up. So, if they had married it would have probably been short lived and they would have continued to be friends.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    my interpretation is that they both would have considered marrying the other but that they had very different expectations as to how that marriage would and what the rules would be. Berry has always been a womanizer and would have continued to have extramarital affairs. Diana would NOT have liked or accepted this. So i think they might have married but it would have definitely ended in divorce

I do think that had they married in 70 or so, it might not have been a good thing from a career standpoint. I think it would have damaged her image more as the public and people would simply think she was getting all of the best material and promotional support cuz she's the boss' wife.
    She always received the promotional and special treatment when she was sleeping with him during Supremes tenure, so what’s the difference? If they married maybe his control would escalate. On the other hand, didn’t Flo told Berry to get off her back. Wasn’t that when she fainted on stage? He was too damn controlling. Unfortunately, other careers suffered because of his focus on one entity.

That was never gonna happen. Berry was pretty verbally and mentally abusive to her. As much as she benefited from being the one to call Berry for anything, Berry also used and abused her. Marriage was never gonna work. They made the right decision not to marry. I wished Berry had treated her better though even if he did have real emotion for her as much as she felt for him [[which they still do to this day).

... probably some bitter and jealous fans of other Motown performers would spread rumors about Diana getting preferential treatment not due to her drive and talent, but due to her relationship with Gordy. Thank GOODNESS it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    That was never gonna happen. Berry was pretty verbally and mentally abusive to her. As much as she benefited from being the one to call Berry for anything, Berry also used and abused her. Marriage was never gonna work. They made the right decision not to marry. I wished Berry had treated her better though even if he did have real emotion for her as much as she felt for him [[which they still do to this day).
    Very good points. I have to admit I am a bit surprised that in the last X amount of years since her divorce that the two of them haven't said "ah what the hell" and just went on and gotten married. It's apparent they still have a lot of chemistry and both are still pretty vibrant and energetic.