[REMOVE ADS]

Exclusive behind the scenes back story of MOTOWN 60

The Exclusive Inside Story of Sunday Night’s Motown 60 Special on CBS: Why JLO?, Diana Ross Says No to the Supremes, No Mention of Michael Jackson...

Tonight’s “Motown 60” special on CBS is a mixed bag. It’s certainly worth seeing, but what went on backstage and in the negotiations is far more interesting.

Back in 1983, the 25th anniversary of Motown was the place where Michael Jackson did his Moonwalk to “Billie Jean,” and became a monster celebrity forever. Contrast to this show, where Michael isn’t mentioned and the Jackson 5 are a footnote. It’s jaw dropping. In the Seventies, Motown lived off Michael and the Jacksons.

“Motown 60” features a repeat of Jennifer Lopez’s god awful Motown medley from the Grammy show in February. If you didn’t like it then, you won’t like it now. But to get Lopez, a “contemporary” star, on the Motown special, the producers had to give her a spot on the Grammys.

Ditto Diana Ross, who got a big spot on the Grammys and no one could figure out why. That was her trade off for doing the Motown show. Ross, even at 75, doesn’t want to seem like an oldies act– even though she is one. [[A good one, mind you.) And her contribution to the Motown show was NO SUPREMES. So Diana sings from “Lady Sings the Blues.” She doesn’t go near the Supremes. [[One Supremes song is sung in a medley by Meghan Trainor.)

But Ross’s NO SUPREMES decree may have backfired. During the taping, we saw clips from an interview with beloved ex-Supreme Mary Wilson. When the interviews were taped, Mary wasn’t dressed properly, had no make up or stylist. Mary, however, really knows the Motown history. Producer Ken Ehrlich saw that, and invited Mary back to L.A. from Las Vegas. Wise Ken re-interviewed Mary all dolled up, and paid all her expenses. We may see the fruit of that interview Sunday night.

What a nice thing to do considering Mary was among many Motown performers who were left out of the 60th anniversary show entirely. Some of them were in the audience– like Mary, Otis Williams of the Temptations, Scherrie Payne, who sang with the Supremes from 1973-78 — but were seated far away from Diana Ross and Motown founder Berry Gordy. Duke Fakir, the only living member of the original Four Tops, wasn’t even invited to the taping– and he was in L.A. Insane! Mary and Otis were treated very badly at the taping. They got their revenge last month when “Ain’t Too Proud,” Otis’s musical about the Temptations, opened on Broadway. Mary came in, too, and was given a huge shout out from the stage.

There’s no denying Berry Gordy’s amazing contribution to our culture with Motown. It’s astonishing. Gordy is 89, and he deserves a Kennedy Center honor. But Motown suffers from revisionist history all the time. If you want to know the real stories, you have to read out of print books like Gerri Hirshey’s “Nowhere to Run” or Mary Wilson’s “Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme.”

We’ll see what made the final cut for Sunday [[tonight’s) show.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/04/2...entual-triumph

Lol. Before I got to the bottom and saw the link, I knew by the angle of this story exactly who wrote it.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Lol. Before I got to the bottom and saw the link, I knew by the angle of this story exactly who wrote it.
    Yep.......may wilsons buddy Friedman. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Yep.......may wilsons buddy Friedman. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Aha !! I did not know that. Now it makes sense that more than half of the article was about Mary. Interesting info that I did not know. Thanks for including it

Looks like this is going to be a very dull show. Oh well.........

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Looks like this is going to be a very dull show. Oh well.........
    But youll still watch it as your girl Diane is on.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post

Yeah, I knew he would slither out with another story just before the show aired. His little dig about Diana being an oldies act is laughable. Oldies acts don't get to call shots on a major televised program, Legends do! There's a difference.

very insightful.
    any write-up on how wonderful this show is going to be ?

Why isn't Jermaine on this thing??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    very insightful.

They don't even mention Jermaine or Michael! I would not even hold out hope of them even showing a picture of David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Florence Ballard or Dennis Edwards.

This will be another "Motown Anniversary" show where they will not mention the name Jean Terrell.....they never have.

They don't even mention Jermaine or Michael! I would not even hold out hope of them even showing a picture of David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Florence Ballard or Dennis Edwards.

This will be another "Motown Anniversary" show where they will not mention the name Jean Terrell.....they never have.
    I was going to do a thread featuring the many excerpts of the show being showcased on YouTube . Once I got past Stevie and Thelma's , they didn't seem worth the bother.

I was going to do a thread featuring the many excerpts of the show being showcased on YouTube . Once I got past Stevie and Thelma's , they didn't seem worth the bother.
    This is going to be worse than CBS' "Motown 30: What's Goin' On?" that aired in 1990. 80% of the artists on that show were never with Motown!

They’re downplaying The Jackson 5 this year because of the “Leaving Neverland”. Similar to how Bill Cosby was all but omitted from the NBC Anniversary special, even though he saved the network from bankruptcy! Guilty or not, I hate it when they write people out of history just to be PC!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    They’re downplaying The Jackson 5 this year because of the “Leaving Neverland”. Similar to how Bill Cosby was all but omitted from the NBC Anniversary special, even though he saved the network from bankruptcy! Guilty or not, I hate it when they write people out of history just to be PC!
    Exactly! Never mind the fact that Michael Jackson was acquitted and there has never been any proof of child sexual abuse or anything. I have thoughts now why Lionel Richie just dropped out at the last minute before taping began. I don't think Gladys Knight will be there either.

very insightful.

He couldn't break away from the mirror!

Exactly! Never mind the fact that Michael Jackson was acquitted and there has never been any proof of child sexual abuse or anything. I have thoughts now why Lionel Richie just dropped out at the last minute before taping began. I don't think Gladys Knight will be there either.
    Lionel had more of his home furnishing line to tend to.

Gladys said she had to take the midnight train to Georgia. A relative took sick in ATL.