[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Diana came back 1989; did "Workin' Overtime", "If We Hold On Together", "When You Tell Me That You Love Me", "Take Me Higher"; left, at least in recording new albums for the company, in 2000-ish.
    Yeah, but it was no longer Berry Gordy's company by then.

OMG! I don't watch much television. So thank you for posting. I watched all the clips and so wished I hadn't missed this. Diana Ross absolutely nailed her tribute to Berry Gordy. I had tears in my eyes. So much love for Berry Gordy and Motown.

WOW !!!! awesome tribute

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Oh my god they didn’t mention Irene!! Too Funny. 
    Always happy to see someone appreciating my sense of humor! Of course we all wish that every Motown performer-instrumentalist-producer etc could be featured but, as Ms. Roberta said, the show was 2 hours, not 22! Best to you -

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Always happy to see someone appreciating my sense of humor! Of course we all wish that every Motown performer-instrumentalist-producer etc could be featured but, as Ms. Roberta said, the show was 2 hours, not 22! Best to you -
    I totally agree! Some people only focus on who wasn’t there instead of treasuring who was there. It was great seeing Smokey, Stevie, and especially the Queen of Motown Diana Ross. Best to you too!

And Mickey HDH Valerie Smokey

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah, but it was no longer Berry Gordy's company by then.
    Still had Temptations, Diana Ross, and Stevie Wonder regularly recording new albums, along with then fresh top ten life in Boyz II Men and Johnny Gill to continue the brand running in the name of being "The Sound of Young America".

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And Mickey HDH Valerie Smokey
    And Lionel was doing American Idol so he couldn’t participate

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    The Special was 2 hours long not 22 hours.
    All the more reason to be more selective.

Yes we wouldn’t even get a minimum budget PBS special without name artists; maybe on local stations though; but we did get the writer segment which was very nice

And Lionel was doing American Idol so he couldn’t participate
    American Idol is being cancelled and that is not why Lionel Richie dropped out at the last minute for the Motown 60 show. He knew his schedule when he originally agreed to do the Motown show. He dropped out because of something else. It will come out eventually........

Yes we wouldn’t even get a minimum budget PBS special without name artists; maybe on local stations though; but we did get the writer segment which was very nice
    That show sucked. I don't know what you are talking about. They did the writer segment for Motown 25. Motown 60 couldn't come up with something more creative, which is why they also used the "DJ segment" with Cedric the Entertainer just like "Motown 25" had Howard Hessman play a DJ! What was that audience sing a song crap all about? LOL!

That show sucked. I don't know what you are talking about. They did the writer segment for Motown 25. Motown 60 couldn't come up with something more creative, which is why they also used the "DJ segment" with Cedric the Entertainer just like "Motown 25" had Howard Hessman play a DJ! What was that audience sing a song crap all about? LOL!
    Marv stop crying about Motown 60. I really enjoyed it. I am sorry Mary Wilson didn’t get to perform. But she just isn’t well known enough for the general public. They know who’s names will bring in the ratings and they were right!!!

I'd like to watch this, but not sure how to, being in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Brexit yourself to the US.
    Edit: lol.

Tom, sooner or later, it'll surely show up on YouTube. You'll just need to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Brexit yourself to the US.
    Edit: lol.
    I could do, but I'll have to hold a referendum in my brain to make a decision on that one thanx.

Yeah they had the nerve to re-air that ghastly JLO Motown segment, but ignored about 85% of the "Motown Family". I noticed that there was NO reaction when Michael Jackson's photo was shown. I was surprised they showed one of Florence because they never mention her in any of these "specials".
    Marv mary mentioned flo in a cut segment when she and cindy took t stage on motown 25

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Marv mary mentioned flo in a cut segment when she and cindy took t stage on motown 25
    I remember reading about that. Suzanne DePasse had it cut out for some reason.

I remember reading about that. Suzanne DePasse had it cut out for some reason.
    Surprise Surprise lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Tom, sooner or later, it'll surely show up on YouTube. You'll just need to be patient.
    Hopefully Gary.

I could do, but I'll have to hold a referendum in my brain to make a decision on that one thanx.
    Would your brain's prime minister be able to follow through, though?

Berry and Diana can help you out!

Y'all would argue about 2+2=4 if the opportunity presented itself. Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Y'all would argue about 2+2=4 if the opportunity presented itself. Good grief.
    I read on Facebook that our Forum is known for driving things into the ground and rehashing things again and again

Motown 60 was a huge success; the best since Motown 25 in terms of success

As usual, we wish some of the lesser known people could have been highlighted more - but the choices that were made are understandable

I read on Facebook that our Forum is known for driving things into the ground and rehashing things again and again
    Shocked! I’m shocked, I tell you.

Shocked! I’m shocked, I tell you.
    The favourite rehash topic is why the 70s Supremes failed.

I can believe that and a couple of other popular rehash topics, which isn't really a bad thing, but people take it all so damn serious.

To me Motown 25 with the Tempts vs 4 Tops and Michael Jackson were great.

The others after that were not as good as M 25

edafan

I take your point and counter you with “Are the Andantes on <insert song title here>”.

I take your point and counter you with “Are the Andantes on <insert song title here>”.
    Yours is better than mine!

That’s a fun topic because you can always count on one person to swear there are no Andantes, no matter what the song and always go for the less successful unless they are the Andantes

Motown 60 was a huge success; the best since Motown 25 in terms of success

As usual, we wish some of the lesser known people could have been highlighted more - but the choices that were made are understandable
    The choices were completely not understandable. These companies are just plain idiots. Bad people. This is a permanent stain on music.

Yours is better than mine!

That’s a fun topic because you can always count on one person to swear there are no Andantes, no matter what the song and always go for the less successful unless they are the Andantes
    Write "Return to Love" anywhere in any thread. I dare you.

Or Lynda Laurence. Or now.........Motown 60

I watched the Motown 60 show last night with my nephew and his husband and we all really loved it. Highlights was Ciara as Rick James and Ne-Yo as hes real talented and Thelma Houston who tore the room down and Stevie and Smokey and John Legend who did a real nice tribute to Marvin and Diana Ross who looked so gorgeous and in such great voice. It was a real good special imo.

I watched the Motown 60 show last night with my nephew and his husband and we all really loved it. Highlights was Ciara as Rick James and Ne-Yo as hes real talented and Thelma Houston who tore the room down and Stevie and Smokey and John Legend who did a real nice tribute to Marvin and Diana Ross who looked so gorgeous and in such great voice. It was a real good special imo.
    Lesson should be learned from Roberta - who's Motown hero is Martha Reeves - who for whatever reason isn't on the show that aired.

And yet Roberta thought it was a wonderful celebration.

Lesson should be learned from Roberta - who's Motown hero is Martha Reeves - who for whatever reason isn't on the show that aired.

And yet Roberta thought it was a wonderful celebration.
    I agree 💯. Roberta shows a lot of class. Thank you Roberta. I love Martha Reeves too and would loved to have seen her performance but I still highly enjoyed the special.

More class!

Thank you. I did miss Martha Reeves on the Motown Special but got a real nice glimpse of her right behind Mr Gordy.

Thank you. I did miss Martha Reeves on the Motown Special but got a real nice glimpse of her right behind Mr Gordy.
    In a royal spot!

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    To me Motown 25 with the Tempts vs 4 Tops and Michael Jackson were great.

The others after that were not as good as M 25

edafan
    I think almost anyone would concur with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think almost anyone would concur with that.
    I agree. But so many have passed away since then. There’s no way any others would be as good as Motown 25

In terms of success, it looks like Motown 60 has been the most successful since Motown 25 - mainly due to Diana Stevie and Smokey

Motown Legends!!!!

Name:  Motown Legends.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  96.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I agree. But so many have passed away since then. There’s no way any others would be as good as Motown 25
    Both Marvin and MJ - My two faves from 25, are now gone, yet I still enjoyed the show as a whole. I know there are folks who want more historical content, and this would be a disappointment to them, but for the casual fan, it was gold. My main issue was not using Martha in some fashion, otherwise, I think they did a great job. Ratings like this will ensure some type of follow-up , which would be cool.

I finally got to see it last night after I found a download of it: I enjoyed it a lot.
    But I noticed no mention of Boyz II Men who were the biggest earners for Motown in the 90's or did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I finally got to see it last night after I found a download of it: I enjoyed it a lot.
    But I noticed no mention of Boyz II Men who were the biggest earners for Motown in the 90's or did I miss something?
    I don’t think I saw them either

You had to watch very closely at a few points or you could miss someone - like the in memoriam segment

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Both Marvin and MJ - My two faves from 25, are now gone, yet I still enjoyed the show as a whole. I know there are folks who want more historical content, and this would be a disappointment to them, but for the casual fan, it was gold. My main issue was not using Martha in some fashion, otherwise, I think they did a great job. Ratings like this will ensure some type of follow-up , which would be cool.
    Yes I enjoyed it too. It was great seeing Smokey, Stevie, and Diana.

Lionel was doing American Idol; what happened to Boyz?