[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I enjoyed the show....I had a few emotional moments I must admit. I think Diana did very well, and newer artist-wise, I really enjoyed Ne-yo, one of my favorite singers from my younger years.
    Darin

i recorded the show and will watch it today. But I have read the comments here and also some of the reviews. I do wish some of the reviewers would educate themselves on Motown's history if they are going to write about it. I read this in one review"

Chloe x Halle, did the Supremes right on ‘Please Mr Postman’.

Well we are even cause I don't know who Chloe x Halle is.

But I was surprised to read Mary Well's being referred to as First Lady of Motown. Revisionist History now gives that title to Claudette. But in the early days of Motown, that title belonged to Mary. It was Mary Wells who was called the First Lady of Motown by dee-jays and young fans like me. Sorry Roberta

while Fantasia honoured the artist often called “The First Lady of Motown,” covering Mary Wells’ ‘My Guy’.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    i recorded the show and will watch it today. But I have read the comments here and also some of the reviews. I do wish some of the reviewers would educate themselves on Motown's history if they are going to write about it. I read this in one review"

Chloe x Halle, did the Supremes right on ‘Please Mr Postman’.

Well we are even cause I don't know who Chloe x Halle is.

But I was surprised to read Mary Well's being referred to as First Lady of Motown. Revisionist History now gives that title to Claudette. But in the early days of Motown, that title belonged to Mary. It was Mary Wells who was called the First Lady of Motown by dee-jays and young fans like me. Sorry Roberta

while Fantasia honoured the artist often called “The First Lady of Motown,” covering Mary Wells’ ‘My Guy’.
    How are they going to get the facts on Motown right, when "Motown" itself leaves out most of artists and personnel during these big anniversary shows? Not a mention of the Contours last night even though Joe Billingslea is still performing. The Spinners must have never been on Motown because they did not mention them either!

One disappointment I had with the show was the failure to even mention the Motown Museum and it's expansion that it is currently undergoing. It would have been appropriate to mention When in Detroit please visit the expanded Motown Museum later this year, etc. etc. When the exhibit was at the Henry Ford Museum, they concluded with a Smokey invitation to visit the Motown Museum downtown.

Just curious. Was Frank Wilson mentioned last night?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    One disappointment I had with the show was the failure to even mention the Motown Museum and it's expansion that it is currently undergoing. It would have been appropriate to mention When in Detroit please visit the expanded Motown Museum later this year, etc. etc. When the exhibit was at the Henry Ford Museum, they concluded with a Smokey invitation to visit the Motown Museum downtown.
    That would have been perfect! It would have been a major opportunity to promote the Museum.

Because of all of the Soulful Detroit reporting over the last months, I was not looking forward to this. At one point I said I wouldn't watch at all, but the closer the airdate the more I started to change my mind. Of course I DVR'd it as it was not important to watch live when I could be watching basketball, and I knew there would be stuff I'd want to skip through during the show. I watched it at about 2am and just as I figured, I was underwhelmed.

The low points. I hated the editing. It was more apparent that this show was chopped up than the editing during Motown 25. The camera shots sucked too. During performances there were tons of shots of random, no name people singing and grooving to the songs, when the camera should have been mostly on the Motowners in the audience. This would have been a good time to at least put the names up on the screen of which Motowners were which. And the shots of Stevie singing "Never Dreamed" during the memorial, the camera should have been fixed on a shot of Stevie and the memorial screen together rather than jumping back and forth, and I suspect that during some of the longer shots of Stevie that we missed a couple of the memorialized Motowners. The sing that song game also sucked. Rather than give random unknowns screen time, this was again a missed opportunity for the Motowners who were in the building but not on the program. Re-airing the J Lo tribute was dumb. While I was one who wasn't happy to hear J Lo was doing a Motown tribute on the Grammys, I think she did an excellent job. But I didn't need to see that again. And to know that Martha Reeves got cut from the show but they stuck a rerun of J Lo instead really pisses me off.

Now the highlights. Chloe and Halle were fantastic on "Postman". I love that arrangement. Fantasia rarely disappoints me but I was a bit underwhelmed by her "My Guy" rendition, although the arrangement was actually really nice. She should've been given a Gladys Knight or Martha Reeves number to tear up. Honestly it would've been nice if she had even done Kim's "Take Me In Your Arms". "My Guy" just wasn't it. But it's Tasia so she can never be a low point for me. Smokey's voice just doesn't change. He was killin it. Tori Kelly was very good. Neyo was also very good. The songwriters segment was good.

But of course the highest highlight for me was Miss Ross. She could've kept "Do You Know" [[a song I hate), but I always love to hear her sing "Good Morning Heartache", which I think is a good fit for her 75 year old vocal range. As soon as she started "My Man", I cringed. I thought "She shouldn't even try this at this point in her career and on primetime television", but how wrong I was. She nailed it. I was shocked. Don't know if this was one of those once in an elderly lifetime vocal moments [[like how Aretha seemed to find every bit of who she used to be vocally when she performed "Natural Woman" at the Kennedy Center for Carole King) where Diana seemed to find something she seemed to have lost in recent years, but I hope we get to see it again.

Ultimately Motown 60 is a Grammy production. Had it been produced by someone else we might have gotten a better overall program. But this anniversary left much to be desired. The sad thing is that I find it doubtful we'll get anything special for Motown 70.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Just curious. Was Frank Wilson mentioned last night?
    He was among those remembered in the tribute by Stevie for those Motown artists/songwriters/producers/musicians who we lost. To me, that was a very wonderful move on the Grammys part to include this. There were some individuals missing [[Jimmy Ruffin, Gladys Horton, Deke Richards, etc.), but otherwise it was a beautifully done tribute and a highlight for me.

I wasn't expecting a lot from this special, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It certainly could have been much better, but I actually think they did a fairly good job with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    He was among those remembered in the tribute by Stevie for those Motown artists/songwriters/producers/musicians who we lost. To me, that was a very wonderful move on the Grammys part to include this. There were some individuals missing [[Jimmy Ruffin, Gladys Horton, Deke Richards, etc.), but otherwise it was a beautifully done tribute and a highlight for me.

I wasn't expecting a lot from this special, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It certainly could have been much better, but I actually think they did a fairly good job with it.
    Thanks Brad. I saw the tribute but must have missed his picture.

I heard no mention of the Velvelettes though Mary mentioned them in recent interview with Duke and Claudette.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I heard no mention of the Velvelettes though Mary mentioned them in recent interview with Duke and Claudette.
    They, along with the Elgins, Contours, Spinners, Andantes, Frances Nero, Barbara McNair, Carolyn Crawford, Rare Earth, Meatloaf, Frankie Valli/4 Seasons among others were not mentioned.

We are not the only ones wondering why some were left out:

They, along with the Elgins, Contours, Spinners, Andantes, Frances Nero, Barbara McNair, Carolyn Crawford, Rare Earth, Meatloaf, Frankie Valli/4 Seasons among others were not mentioned.
    The Special was 2 hours long not 22 hours.

I had no great anticipation to watch this show [[as these shows are usually formula operations), but found myself at home and nothing else of importance to do, so I watched... Some good and some not so good. I think RanRan hit the nail on the head implicating that the show [[being a Neil Portnow Grammy production) that it focused, as it's involvement with the Grammys and as Berry Gordy and Smokey likely preferred...more on the Los Angeles/Hollywood aspect of Motown, while trying to give some tribute to the Detroit era...but was not a true historical and biographical production, and 2 hours would not have allowed them to do that type of thing justice...more a Ken Burns type series would be necessary to do that. They did mention the museum, but it was not a commercial for the current expansion project, more focused on the actual musical material they chose for the program. I too questioned the strange mix of Motown veteran stars and more current non-Motown performers [[obviously an attempt to draw in viewers not as Motown entrenched as many on this forum would be for example). I actually DID understand J-Lo on the Grammy tribute, but just rehashing that same performance for this show was an unexplainable fill and pad that should have been replaced..and they could have used more Motown era performers for this show that was specifically supposed to be a Motown tribute. John Legends Marvin tribute was a good fit...It was a bit disjointed as to what Motown veterans were featured and those who were not, and certain things were a bit uncomfortable, like asking the "Motown Family Members" to stand up...very amateurish and a bit cringeworthy... and how they mixed in some of segments didn't flow very well... They could have had more classic Motown material featured in the show IMO...but once again, I think they made a conscious decision to gear it toward the more recent California era, while giving some brief historical glimpses...but how they chose what they did and didn't is still a mystery to me. I did like Smokey accompanied by Paul Jackson Jr, and Diana Ross was obviously the highlight of the show...I'm sure that's the way NARAS wanted it as she has garnered several Grammy nominations as a solo performer, particularly as relates to her film songs...Diana and Berry fawning over each other seems to be the formula for ANY Motown production these days..so that was to be expected. She did sound good, but once again...nothing from the Supremes in her performance, and that's what launched her into the stratosphere...Stevies split appearance seemed a bit out of sync for me however...not his best...Not much Tempts or Tops either. As has already been pointed out...everybody has their own favorite Motown artist, group, or songs...and to satisfy would have taken All Night Long..so while they did that particular song...they did not have All Night Long to present the show... One thing I did notice as an observer to the Los Angeles music scene as relates to studio musicians...many members of the house band were a different lot than performed in previous Motown specials, in that a changing of the musical guard seems to occur and Rickey Minor obviously used his generation of L.A. based musicians, which are different than those who would have performed on previous such specials and I noticed the absence of some of the traditional musical stalwarts...Time marches on...Final analysis...a good, not great tribute special with a lot left out and some stuff put in that perhaps would have been better left out...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 04-22-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    The Special was 2 hours long not 22 hours.
    It felt like 22 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    it felt like 22 hours!
    lololololol

Just read somewhere that the Motown documentary that was supposed to on Showtime this month, was postponed til this fall. Hopefully, that will give aficionados of Classic Motown a more satisfying fix.

We are not the only ones wondering why some were left out:

Unless I am confused, I recall seeing Marv's picture in the group that have passed away. At least he was recognized in that fashion. He was not ignored as he was in the Motown 25 at which time nothing was shown or mentioned about him at all. Am I confused?

Just read somewhere that the Motown documentary that was supposed to on Showtime this month, was postponed til this fall. Hopefully, that will give aficionados of Classic Motown a more satisfying fix.
    Unless it's the 22-hour version that's been bandied about [[lol!) 'the usual suspects' will never be happy with any Motown programming because most likely the most popular and successful performers will be granted more airtime than those lesser known.

I wasn't as underwhelmed as many were, though I fully expected to be. Diana serenading Berry was a highlight; she was in fantastic form that evening. And Thelma absolutely SLEW.

I, too, was upset seeing the Motown alums in the audience being given such short shrift; I yelled at the TV when Scherrie Payne got a close-up, but no ID. And did anyone see Bobby Taylor in the "In Memoriam" sequence [[because I didn't)?
    Last edited by sansradio; 04-22-2019 at 12:59 PM.

How are they going to get the facts on Motown right, when "Motown" itself leaves out most of artists and personnel during these big anniversary shows? Not a mention of the Contours last night even though Joe Billingslea is still performing. The Spinners must have never been on Motown because they did not mention them either!
    I have not been able to see the special last night, as my workplace television was not able to pick up the signal for CBS at the time.

But according to most American pop culture history, Motown is: Berry Gordy Jr., Smokey Robinson / the Miracles, Mary Wells, Marvelettes, Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, Stevie Wonder, Temptations, Diana Ross / the Supremes [[as in Diana Ross & the Supremes), Four Tops, Junior Walker & the All-Stars, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Michael Jackson / Jackson Five.

Any one else, including Funk Brothers, geniunely pleasantly nice to mention.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 04-22-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Bill, there was actually a lovely blink-and-you'll-miss-it ad spotlighting the Museum that aired during the special. IIRC, it started with a blue-sky-and-clouds background and the words "Thank You"; the first names of the usual suspects scrolled past next [[Diana, Smokey, David, Eddie, Martha, Michael, Marvin et al.). Duke Fakir himself did the voice-over at the end [["Tell 'em Duke of [The] Four Tops sent you"). It was very heartwarming; if I can find a link, I'll post it.

I enjoyed the special but have to say that mine was definitely a mixed reaction, like many. I don't really fault the producers for highlighting younger performers or those who are popular today. Even "Motown 25" did that. But completely overlooking the Tempts and the Tops who are still performing was an unnecessary oversight. If anything, you'd hope Gordy would want to "give back" something to those performers who have worked so hard [[as he has) to perpetuate the Motown legacy.

I looked hard for Gladys Horton in the memoriam sequence and didn't see her. Someone above asked, and I don't believe I saw Bobby Taylor either.

I did see the spot promoting the Motown Museum.

Using old footage of J-Lo and any others also seems like a silly use of old material as filler when they could have included more historical footage or more time spent on honoring the past performers.

I found the Diane tribute to Gordy the highlight, as it was obviously meant to be. She was in good voice. I wish she had sung "My Man" in a more straightforward manner, instead of giggling and more or less apologizing for the lyrics [["He beats me too") because she cheated a great song in a sense by throwing away the lyrics that way. But she looked and sounded fantastic.

But the producers definitely get demerits for not letting us hear Mary Wilson and for eliminating Martha Reeves, Jean Terrell, Scherrie and Susaye, and so many others who you'd think could have been afforded a few minutes of air time.
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-22-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Unless I am confused, I recall seeing Marv's picture in the group that have passed away. At least he was recognized in that fashion. He was not ignored as he was in the Motown 25 at which time nothing was shown or mentioned about him at all. Am I confused?
    They did show his picture.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I wasn't as underwhelmed as many were, though I fully expected to be. Diana serenading Berry was a highlight; she was in fantastic form that evening. And Thelma absolutely SLEW.

I, too, was upset seeing the Motown alums in the audience being given such short shrift; I yelled at the TV when Scherrie Payne got a close-up, but no ID. And did anyone see Bobby Taylor in the "In Memoriam" sequence [[because I didn't)?
    I did not see Bobby Taylor in the in the In Memoriam segment or any of the Gordys. Miss Ray was a glaring omission in my opinion.

Was Shorty Long or The Pips, William Guest and Edward Patton in the "In Memoriam" segment?

Was Shorty Long or The Pips, William Guest and Edward Patton in the "In Memoriam" segment?
    Certain artists that abandoned Motown over the years in bitter breakups and never returned [[Gladys & The Pips, 4 Tops, Spinners, Kim Weston, Isleys, etc) have drawn the ire of the company and Berry Gordy in particular and tend to get left out of these tribute shows. J-5 in the Motown 25 was the exception...likely because Michael was so hot at the time it was part of the deal to get him to come back to perform [[and turned out to be a wise decision for all involved)...

I can't say for sure whether I saw Shorty Long or not, but definitely not Guest or Patton in that segment.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Certain artists that abandoned Motown over the years in bitter breakups and never returned [[Gladys & The Pips, 4 Tops, Spinners, Kim Weston, Isleys, etc) have drawn the ire of the company and Berry Gordy in particular and tend to get left out of these tribute shows. ...
    Gladys and Bubba Knight did return for Motown 45. That's the show where Kelly Rowland performed as a Supreme with Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson. Gladys was the highlight of the show

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388283...=tt_cl_sm#cast

Gladys and Bubba Knight did return for Motown 45. That's the show where Kelly Rowland performed as a Supreme with Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson. Gladys was the highlight of the show

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388283...=tt_cl_sm#cast
    Gladys was also on MOTOWN 30. She did a great rendition of WIND BENEATH MY WINGS.

No, you are not confused. He was part of a group picture
    Name:  tribute.JPG
Views: 593
Size:  39.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Gladys was also on MOTOWN 30. She did a great rendition of WIND BENEATH MY WINGS.
    Didn't remember that, although I recall when they did that show about 15 years ago [[edit...sorry...meant Motown 45)...Gladys has been involved in a few well publicized feuds over the years with some of Berry Gordy's loyal prized performers and allies, including Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder to name a few. Also a little dustup with Aretha Franklin...I figured that may have had something to do with, along with the fact that Gladys DID stray from Motown during the height of her success, that Gladys and Motown are rarely mentioned as associates in the same breath these days...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 04-22-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Certain artists that abandoned Motown over the years in bitter breakups and never returned [[Gladys & The Pips, 4 Tops, Spinners, Kim Weston, Isleys, etc) have drawn the ire of the company and Berry Gordy in particular and tend to get left out of these tribute shows. J-5 in the Motown 25 was the exception...likely because Michael was so hot at the time it was part of the deal to get him to come back to perform [[and turned out to be a wise decision for all involved)...
    Totally disagree especially in regards to The Four Tops, Gladys Knight and the Pips and others. They all have good relationships with Mr. Gordy today. Gladys did participate in the "Motown 30, What's Going On?" anniversary special in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I can't say for sure whether I saw Shorty Long or not, but definitely not Guest or Patton in that segment.
    I did see Edwin Starr,but no mention of Al Abrams or even Barney Ales who is still alive.

Didn't remember that, although I recall when they did that show about 15 years ago...Gladys has been involved in a few well publicized feuds over the years with some of Berry Gordy's loyal prized performers and allies, including Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder to name a few. Also a little dustup with Aretha Franklin...I figured that may have had something to do with, along with the fact that Gladys DID stray from Motown during the height of her success, that Gladys and Motown are rarely mentioned as associates in the same breath these days...
    Two, maybe three years ago, Stevie invite Gladys Knight to participate in his Grammy Special Songs in the Key of Life.

There were folks that I missed also. Brenda in particular. I feel terrible for Martha however, everyone I know that attended, said Martha was having an off night vocally, and there’s no way that that could be televised as performed. When I saw her in the list in the ads, I assumed that they had touch things up and I was so happy but… I think it’s rotten to use her name and then not have her be in the show.

i I think everyone is directing their disappointments at the wrong people. This is not a Motown documentary. It’s a salute, a celebration of Motown’s 60th anniversary television special…… It was not produced to do anything more than make money. I’m sure the producers don’t give a damn who was on and who wasn’t on, This was not a Motown Production. It was some people in a room who came up with the idea of creating this night to sell to a network and in order to do so, need an a lot of young names to get a network to buy it. CBS would not give you $.10 for Brenda or the velvelettes. Us dinosaurs are the only ones who even know who they are…… And we are not the demographic television is aiming for, and let’s face it, half of the fans of those people are dead, and they didn’t have that many fans to begin with. This was nothing more than a business arrangement built around the brand Motown. It’s sad, but those are the facts. Complain all you want, but the special was a huge success because it drew viewers and won its time slot. Nothing else matters.

Thats show biz!

Wait a minute,there was no mention of the temps or tops???

What I can tell you pretty much for sure and related me to me by victims of the Gordy wrath...If Berry Gordy had an issue with you, he rarely forgot or forgave during his formative years especially... I don't believe Gordy appreciated ANYONE abandoning his company, creating problems or having feuds with his favored artists and a price is there to be paid...It took HDH YEARS to get back into Berry Gordys good graces and his temperament is well known throughout the industry, and he's known to take disrespect quite seriously...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 04-22-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    And a huge thank you to Mary from me.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Wait a minute,there was no mention of the temps or tops???
    None that I can remember. They showed split second photos of the deceased members though.

What I can tell you pretty much for sure and related me to me by victims of the Gordy wrath...If Berry Gordy had an issue with you, he rarely forgot or forgave during his formative years especially... I don't believe Gordy appreciated ANYONE abandoning his company, creating problems or having feuds with his favored artists and a price is there to be paid...It took HDH YEARS to get back into Berry Gordys good graces and his temperament is well known throughout the industry, and he's known to take disrespect quite seriously...
    I know how he is. Diana Ross abandoned his company in 1980 and yet he is finally over it at least on the surface.

They ignored Barrett Strong. Remember the song "Money"?

Thanks Brad. I saw the tribute but must have missed his picture.
    A lot of omissions in the memorial. El Bryant, Gladys and Georgeanna of the Marvelettes, Sandra Tilley, Marlene Barrow, William Guest and Edward Patten of the Pips Bobby Debarge. Imo they should have devoted a little more time to those that have passed. I'm greatful for the ones mentioned but a LOT were left out

Quote Originally Posted by CoolKatz View Post
    A lot of omissions in the memorial. El Bryant, Gladys and Georgeanna of the Marvelettes, Sandra Tilley, Marlene Barrow, William Guest and Edward Patten of the Pips Bobby Debarge. Imo they should have devoted a little more time to those that have passed. I'm greatful for the ones mentioned but a LOT were left out
    I agree. I was disappointed that they did not include Mrs. Esther Gordy Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Did the Velvelettes get a mention?
    Don't be silly John

I'm shockedxxx no, STUNNED, that the program progressed with absolutely NO MENTION WHATSOEVER of Irene 'Granny' Ryan and yet had the utter temerity to feature that Ross woman, who we ALL know will never succeed as a solo act when she leaves The Supremes.

They ignored Barrett Strong. Remember the song "Money"?
    While Money was indeed a very significant song in Motowns early days, my dear friend and co-writer Janie Bradford was in the audience sitting with her friend Claudette Robinson. That said...there were literally thousands and thousands of songs cut at Motown through the years and obviously, everybody has their favorites or those songs they find to be memorable or significant to them... Just not time in this type of telecast to mention everyones favorite song or pay tribute to everyones favorite artist...Just cant happen, although I did find the tributes they did to be a bit disjointed and didn't flow smoothly in the overall production...Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I'm shockedxxx no, STUNNED, that the program progressed with absolutely NO MENTION WHATSOEVER of Irene 'Granny' Ryan and yet had the utter temerity to feature that Ross woman, who we ALL know will never succeed as a solo act when she leaves The Supremes.
    Oh my god they didn’t mention Irene!! Too Funny. 😂

The camera went to Janie and Claudette a number of times; and we did get a short of Scherrie and Mary. And Scherrie was on Facebook saying what a great time was had. And I believe all the deceased Miracles were shown when Stevie sang.

I know how he is. Diana Ross abandoned his company in 1980 and yet he is finally over it at least on the surface.
    Diana came back 1989; did "Workin' Overtime", "If We Hold On Together", "When You Tell Me That You Love Me", "Take Me Higher"; left, at least in recording new albums for the company, in 2000-ish.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 04-22-2019 at 11:45 PM.