[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mary and Diana only got $100,000 ..whaaaaat?

Looking at the Supremes posted album and cd sales-in the millions and knowing they sold millions of singles... how the heck could they get a grand total of $100,000 in 1970??? Actually Flo got more-$160,000! I dont get it! I realize they were bought a lot of luxuries but come on...

Well, they had a lot of expenses that had to be charged against sales a future royalties [[I say while smirking.......).

Oh yes! Lol. And I read Mary and Diana loved to buy shoes! You'd think they would have sued but I guess Mary agreed to never sue after her album deal and Diana too close to Berry. That's all I can figure out

I always thought it was $100,00 for the total group, not each lady.

Someone made a good point about this a while ago. If the Supremes performed 2 shows at an arena that sat 7,000 people and tickets sold for $5.00 each. That would mean they would have pulled in $35,000 per show [[$70,000 total for 2 shows). Now you have to deduct expenses for crew, advertising, etc. but it's clear the ladies would have taken home a good amount of that money. The ladies were constantly on the road. Touring alone would have brought in a great deal of money. This doesn't even include album/singles sales. We know Motown refused to have the RIAA oversee the sale figures instead the label itself did their own. I think this is where the ladies truly lost out. Motown screwed them over [[and every other Motown artist).

It should also be noted the ladies paid for everything...limos, gowns, photo sessions, etc. When you see a Supremes photo on Getty Images from the Michael Ochs Archives, the ladies paid for that photo. A Supremes gown on display, they paid for those gowns. If they paid for it, it technically belongs to them and shouldn't have to pay for it a second time around.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I always thought it was $100,00 for the total group, not each lady.

Someone made a good point about this a while ago. If the Supremes performed 2 shows at an arena that sat 7,000 people and tickets sold for $5.00 each. That would mean they would have pulled in $35,000 per show [[$70,000 total for 2 shows). Now you have to deduct expenses for crew, advertising, etc. but it's clear the ladies would have taken home a good amount of that money. The ladies were constantly on the road. Touring alone would have brought in a great deal of money. This doesn't even include album/singles sales. We know Motown refused to have the RIAA oversee the sale figures instead the label itself did their own. I think this is where the ladies truly lost out. Motown screwed them over [[and every other Motown artist).

It should also be noted the ladies paid for everything...limos, gowns, photo sessions, etc. When you see a Supremes photo on Getty Images from the Michael Ochs Archives, the ladies paid for that photo. A Supremes gown on display, they paid for those gowns. If they paid for it, it technically belongs to them and shouldn't have to pay for it a second time around.
    They each got $100,000 in 1970 when Diana left the group. Jean Terrell said that if another artist was appearing in town say like Las Vegas, flowers would be sent on behalf of, but not authorize by the Supremes congratulating them and the Supremes would be charged for them.

Motown and Berry Gordy had the Supremes on an allowance of $200 -225 a week and this was during the peak of their popularity in the mid-sixties. As late as 1974, whenever Mary Wilson wanted to buy a house or a new car she would have to go to Berry Gordy to have the funds released or for his co-signature! Can you believe it! I can tell that they took advantage of the original Supremes lack of knowledge regarding finances, etc because when Berry released Mary's cut of $100,000 he made out like it was a HUGE amount of money and asked her if she still would like him to manage it for her! Good grief! LOL!!!

it seems very odd that Mary and Diana haven't recovered some of their monies and I'd think a good lawyer for Florence's kids.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    it seems very odd that Mary and Diana haven't recovered some of their monies and I'd think a good lawyer for Florence's kids.
    Jean sued for her past and future royalties back in 1994. Cindy Birdsong signed her rights to royalties away in lieu of a lump sum payout when she left the Supremes. Mary and Diane's fortunes, as were Florence's were tied to that original contract signed back in 1961.

I'm not surprised. The Supremes would have gotten more money if they were with most other record companies. Motown's low royalty rates [[based on BG's deal with United Artists Records for Marv Johnson in 1959) were always their Achilles heel. Also, many of the best independent labels of the 60's couldn't pay as much in royalties as the major labels [[one reason why Motown lost many of their stars when the big companies began to open their doors to Black artists).

Unfortunately it seems all M'town artists were stiffed; Ashford & Simpson make brief mention of their 'terrible contract' on the 'Real Thing' video interview. The rumor is always that Florence Ballard alone was stiffed when she left the group but in fact her payout was standard-issue M'town; many other group members left with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Unfortunately it seems all M'town artists were stiffed; Ashford & Simpson make brief mention of their 'terrible contract' on the 'Real Thing' video interview. The rumor is always that Florence Ballard alone was stiffed when she left the group but in fact her payout was standard-issue M'town; many other group members left with nothing.
    Florence was stiffed in other ways. She was barred from saying that she was one of the Supremes, most other groups were able to leave with their names. This is just one example of how Florence was mistreated.

From my understanding because Flo signed her rights away, her children may not have any recourse. I can't imagine that they haven't already sought legal counsel to see if there's anything they can do. Flo wasn't given her fair share and Gordy knows it. There may not be a legal avenue open to the Chapman girls but it would be nice if the moral avenue opened up and they are broken off some of the pieces of the Motown pie that rightfully should've belonged to their mother and passed on to them.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    From my understanding because Flo signed her rights away, her children may not have any recourse. I can't imagine that they haven't already sought legal counsel to see if there's anything they can do. Flo wasn't given her fair share and Gordy knows it. There may not be a legal avenue open to the Chapman girls but it would be nice if the moral avenue opened up and they are broken off some of the pieces of the Motown pie that rightfully should've belonged to their mother and passed on to them.
    Just think, they will not see one dime from the new Supremes A Go Go Extended.

Unfortunately, Florence signed her rights away. That was the end of it. The Motown of today, Universal, would never give away anything that they don't have to - they are responsible to their shareholders only; not to right moral or ethical failings, not to be responsible for people that made errors in the past.

Luckily Diana and Mary [[and likely even Berry) have supported Florence's children.

True, J'Rob. There's a recorded interview with Florence wherein she admits she never read anything she signed. Mostly I think the Flo victimhood myth perpetuated by some fans is hypocritical, because as I said her severance was on the same level as many others. Florence passed 40+ years ago; hopefully her children no longer require support and have created productive lives for themselves.

... adding to the complication of royalties is the fact that fans learn more and more that Diana is the only Supreme on all Supremes records, Berry Gordy frequently preferring other background singers.

Andy just stated Mary is on all the a go go tracks. That's really not the point as all three Supremes were paid equally whether they were on the recodings or not. Mary gets royalties for Love Child and good for her! She wanted to sing on it but needed a few days break. Self care is a good thing. Florence had no attorney present when she signed her final agreeements, was suffering from emotional exhaustion and an alcohol problem which certainly could have skewed her thinking as well as the reported verbal and emotional antagonism she suffered at Motown and a desire to flee that after she ,as reported was ordered off the stage and told she'd be thrown off the stage if she tried to appear. Scary. One lawyer absconded with her money and another killed himself. Michigan court ruled she had a valid case to sue Motown but she had to return the initial money she was given which she couldn't. Let's not revictimize her. Her daughters may well have reasonable justification to sue. Let's not revictimize them either. A person on assistance can also lead a productive life.
    Last edited by luke; 05-12-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Andy just stated Mary is on all the a go go tracks. That's really not the point as all three Supremes were paid equally whether they were on the recodings or not. Mary gets royalties for Love Child and good for her! She wanted to sing on it but needed a few days break. Self care is a good thing. Florence had no attorney present when she signed her final agreeements, was suffering from emotional exhaustion and an alcohol problem which certainly could have skewed her thinking as well as the reported verbal and emotional antagonism she suffered at Motown and a desire to flee that after she ,as reported was ordered off the stage and told she'd be thrown off the stage if she tried to appear. Scary. One lawyer absconded with her money and another killed himself. Michigan court ruled she had a valid case to sue Motown but she had to return the initial money she was given which she couldn't. Let's not revictimize her. Her daughters may well have reasonable justification to sue. Let's not revictimize them either. A person on assistance can also lead a productive life.
    I agree with you, Luke. "Re-victimizing" is a good way of putting it.

I wonder why no one cares about Mary Wells and her royalties?

Joyce Moore, Sam Moore's wife worked tirelessly to help Mary with her royalties. I believe she eventually won some of them back. You should also read Marys biography for more information. Also circumstances of Mary leaving Motown were quite different than what happened with Florence .

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Unfortunately, Florence signed her rights away. That was the end of it. The Motown of today, Universal, would never give away anything that they don't have to - they are responsible to their shareholders only; not to right moral or ethical failings, not to be responsible for people that made errors in the past.

Luckily Diana and Mary [[and likely even Berry) have supported Florence's children.
    To be clear, my moral avenue comment was directed at Berry Gordy [[who was Motown during Flo's lifetime) and not Universal. Nor was it directed at Diana or Mary, both of whom the Chapman girls have been vocal about having helped them in the past. Whatever accusations can be leveled against Diana and Mary in regards to Flo's ousting, the truth is that neither woman was in on decisions regarding the money and I don't believe if given the chance to decide that either woman would have ever wanted Florence to have less than she was entitled to. Gordy is wealthy because he was a good businessman and he was unscrupulous when it came to what was rightfully owed his artists. I would hope that he would be willing [[if he hasn't already) to right some of the wrongs with a check.

True, J'Rob. There's a recorded interview with Florence wherein she admits she never read anything she signed. Mostly I think the Flo victimhood myth perpetuated by some fans is hypocritical, because as I said her severance was on the same level as many others. Florence passed 40+ years ago; hopefully her children no longer require support and have created productive lives for themselves.
    If I'm owed a million dollars and you hand me a check for 3 bucks, you don't get to tell me to stop complaining about 3 dollars simply because everyone else around me received three dollars as well. Florence wasn't paid what she was rightfully owed. She was taken advantage of and the people who took advantage of her reaped the benefits and were still reaping benefits even as she was applying for welfare. You can call that painting Florence a victim, but I call it like I see it: she was screwed out of her money. And whether her daughters need the money now or not, they too were ultimately screwed out of an inheritance that might have made their lives a bit better. There's a racial aspect of this that I would love to get into but fear that it might lead to a larger non Motown related discussion.

... adding to the complication of royalties is the fact that fans learn more and more that Diana is the only Supreme on all Supremes records, Berry Gordy frequently preferring other background singers.
    And if that's the case then Florence's heirs, and Mary Wilson also, should be handed a check for the reimbursement of recording sessions that they were surely charged for but someone else was called in her place. You're right, this money thing gets very complicated.

Not only that Luke, but all three were charged for recording sessions as well. And people bring up Florence's shortcomings during these business dealings, but good grief, the woman was only 24! And as you list, what we know now is that she was suffering emotional exhaustion and a dependency on alcohol when she signed away her rights. She was not an educated woman. Very intelligent [[that's so clear when you hear her speak) but she hadn't been schooled in the ways of the business world. None of them had. Then she gets this bitch ass lawyer who zeroed in her naivete and took further advantage of her and jacked her for the rest of her money. Florence was a victim. She wasn't the first victim and she wasn't the last. We've all been victims to something at some point. That's part of life. Flo had moments where she was a victim a few times and in such big ways and during such a short lifetime, but it is important to make sure we don't reduce her life to one big victimhood. She was a beautiful woman who left an indelible impression on the music world in general, and on Motown and the Supremes in particular, whether she was on every single record or not. But one listen to every known recording of the Supremes during Florence's tenure should reveal that she was in the studio same as the others much more often than she wasn't.

I have said the same thing Ran Ran and so did Jean Terrell, something like ...dont tell me I should be happy when you pay me one cent when I made nothing before ... I imagine Marv knows the exact quote. As I said before the Suprenes were paid royalties whether they were on the record or not Excellent posts RR
    Last edited by luke; 05-12-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks Luke. Mary had better be getting royalties for Love Child and Someday We'll Be Together since she had to also work her ass off to help to sell those records on television and in concert. What happened to Florence was an abomination and her children and grandchildren have had to suffer because of it. Any steel hearted bastard that says otherwise is just telling you WHO they really are as a person. Maya Angelou has said, when someone tells you who they are.......believe them!

If I'm owed a million dollars and you hand me a check for 3 bucks, you don't get to tell me to stop complaining about 3 dollars simply because everyone else around me received three dollars as well. Florence wasn't paid what she was rightfully owed. She was taken advantage of and the people who took advantage of her reaped the benefits and were still reaping benefits even as she was applying for welfare. You can call that painting Florence a victim, but I call it like I see it: she was screwed out of her money. And whether her daughters need the money now or not, they too were ultimately screwed out of an inheritance that might have made their lives a bit better. There's a racial aspect of this that I would love to get into but fear that it might lead to a larger non Motown related discussion.
    I applaud your posting here!

And if that's the case then Florence's heirs, and Mary Wilson also, should be handed a check for the reimbursement of recording sessions that they were surely charged for but someone else was called in her place. You're right, this money thing gets very complicated.
    The record industry is corrupt by it's very nature. I look at it this way. You work for a company, you generate 10 times more revenue for that company than you are paid. Yet the company tells you that you must rent your office space from them and the rent will be taken out of your pay check every two weeks. The same office that you use to generate revenue for the company!

I have said the same thing Ran Ran and so did Jean Terrell, something like ...dont tell me I should be happy when you pay me one cent when I made nothing before ... I imagine Marv knows the exact quote. As I said before the Suorenes were paid royalties whether they were on the record or not Excellent posts RR
    It was a dime Jean said LOL! She said don't you [[expletive) tell me to be happy to be making a dime when all I was making was a nickel before. She meant she was earning millions for the company and getting only a meager salary, at least in the beginning.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-13-2017 at 02:31 AM.

Good synopsis!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They each got $100,000 in 1970 when Diana left the group. Jean Terrell said that if another artist was appearing in town say like Las Vegas, flowers would be sent on behalf of, but not authorize by the Supremes congratulating them and the Supremes would be charged for them.

This is not true. In 1971 Mary Wilson decided [[at the urging of Jean Terrell and others) to have an accounting of her earnings and have all monies given to her. She no longer wanted to go through Motown to purchase things. Gordy protested but eventually he had to do it. This is when she says she had $100K in cash after taxes. However, she still had other investments. She had been receiving complaints from fans joining the Supremes Fan Club Motown had for them which was a big rip-off. One 8X10, a generic newsletter and no monthly newsletters of group activities. She then commissioned Randy Taraborrelli to open a Fan Club whereby she could be in contact with the fans monthly. Motown disliked this as well

After the success of the diana album in 1980, Ross started getting offers from other labels. She too demanded an accounting [[recommended by then boyfriend Gene Simmons) and was shocked that she had about $250K cash after taxes plus other investments. She also had other investments, but some articles like clothes and cars she was upset to find out were owned by Motown and leased to her. This played a large part into her decision to accept the RCA offer.

It is true, each Motown artist paid for everything, right down to Christmas gifts the company gave them.

both Mary and Diana kept their royalites and were paid yearly on their back catalogue. although I am not sure if that is still active since Motown was sold. but at one point they both were making some cash off the supremes record sales

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This is not true. In 1971 Mary Wilson decided [[at the urging of Jean Terrell and others) to have an accounting of her earnings and have all monies given to her. She no longer wanted to go through Motown to purchase things. Gordy protested but eventually he had to do it. This is when she says she had $100K in cash after taxes. However, she still had other investments. She had been receiving complaints from fans joining the Supremes Fan Club Motown had for them which was a big rip-off. One 8X10, a generic newsletter and no monthly newsletters of group activities. She then commissioned Randy Taraborrelli to open a Fan Club whereby she could be in contact with the fans monthly. Motown disliked this as well

After the success of the diana album in 1980, Ross started getting offers from other labels. She too demanded an accounting [[recommended by then boyfriend Gene Simmons) and was shocked that she had about $250K cash after taxes plus other investments. She also had other investments, but some articles like clothes and cars she was upset to find out were owned by Motown and leased to her. This played a large part into her decision to accept the RCA offer.

It is true, each Motown artist paid for everything, right down to Christmas gifts the company gave them.
    What I said is true. You can ask her if you want.

We have talked about it before Marvin.

Mary Wilson began receiving royalties on her Supremes catalogue I think around 1990 when she surrendered the name to Berry, maybe a little before

Marv..I think Diana told Oprah the same thing per $100,000

Marv..I think Diana told Oprah the same thing per $100,000
    Yeah she said that and by the time she left Motown, she SAID that she only had about $250,000 she could put her hands on. I take that to mean her solo work revenue and whatever she may have had left from her Supreme days. They doing hundreds of concerts during their peak, along with the recordings, advertisement work, etc,etc. Shame.

We have talked about it before Marvin.

Mary Wilson began receiving royalties on her Supremes catalogue I think around 1990 when she surrendered the name to Berry, maybe a little before
    Uh uh, nope. What she received from Berry in 1990 was a six figure lump sum which was her proceeds from the sale of the Supremes name when he sold Motown. It had nothing to do with her royalties that she had been receiving for years prior to 1990. They will not tell me how much she was given in 1990, but I remember her being VERY happy about it. LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-13-2017 at 03:08 PM. Reason: "he" was left out

It was also reported in JRT's book that Mary and Diana had been getting about $90,000 a year in royalties

It was also reported in JRT's book that Mary and Diana had been getting about $90,000 a year in royalties
    Exactly. Even still, that was below what I felt they should have been given based on the true amount of recordings they sold for Motown. Not far from me the other day, I drove past a house that had been in a fire. Right on curb was a stack of albums by the Supremes and Jackson Five!

Yes but this was some years after both ladies left Motown. Mary struggled financially for years in the early 80s. As I said before I can't remember exactly when Mary began receiving royalties but if it wasn't in 1990 then it wasn't long before that. There were numerous lawsuits between Mary and Motown beginning in 1977. Come to think of it, it could have been shortly after Motown 25 that Mary began receiving royalties. She was the lone holdout when dePasse wanted to issue the special on VHS and made some demands before the tape could be issued. Royalties may have been one of her demands.

Whatever the demands were, dePasse never invited Mary Wilson back on stage on any show she produced

Mary, Flos daughters and Diana should each be getting a minimum of $100,000 a month and even Cindy who said she didn't realize what she was signing away I believe .

Mary, Flos daughters and Diana should each be getting a minimum of $100,000 a month and even Cindy who said she didn't realize what she was signing away I believe .
    I agree, but that is a dream. Can you imagine all the money they lost out on during the late sixties because of bootleg albums? Incredible!

Yes but this was some years after both ladies left Motown. Mary struggled financially for years in the early 80s. As I said before I can't remember exactly when Mary began receiving royalties but if it wasn't in 1990 then it wasn't long before that. There were numerous lawsuits between Mary and Motown beginning in 1977. Come to think of it, it could have been shortly after Motown 25 that Mary began receiving royalties. She was the lone holdout when dePasse wanted to issue the special on VHS and made some demands before the tape could be issued. Royalties may have been one of her demands.

Whatever the demands were, dePasse never invited Mary Wilson back on stage on any show she produced
    Mary was right to hold out! "The demands" were, the event was suppose to be a charity fundraiser for Sickle Cell Anemia Research[[remember Lionel Richie singing to the little girl that was affected by the disease?). Once Depasse realized how popular the show was based on the ratings and later Emmy nominations, she got the idea that this could be a money maker! The only problem was, not all the money was going to go to Sickle Cell and none of it was going to go the performing artists! Suzanne got caught with her draws down! She had led all the artist to believe that it was for charity, so many signed their releases without a lot of negotiating. After they did and DePasse changed course, it was too late other than to take the legal route.

Suzanne DePasse may not have invited Mary Wilson back to participate in any of her productions,but Mary Wilson was apart of every Motown anniversary show [[even Motown at 30 in 1990 Whoopi Goldberg made sure to mention Mary Wilson on the show). Mary was featured prominently in "Motown 40" in 1998 with several interview clips of her. You cannot have a "Motown Special" without acknowledging the Supremes.

And Mary wAs promised a solo at Motown 25 and three Supreme songs were supposed to be sung. Along with what you wrote about sickle celll ... what a wheeler dealer. De Passé is lucky Mary didn't walk out!

lol Luke.
    funny I remember Mary complaining they used old interviews instead of inviting her to the shows.
    I know Bill Cosby brought her up to sing back up for stevie wonder on one of the shows

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    lol Luke.
    funny I remember Mary complaining they used old interviews instead of inviting her to the shows.
    I know Bill Cosby brought her up to sing back up for stevie wonder on one of the shows
    "Motown 40" was all old interviews and performance clips. Not just of Mary Wilson. Did you see the show? It aired in two parts.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    lol Luke.
    She was also on "Motown 45".

"Motown 40" was all old interviews and performance clips. Not just of Mary Wilson. Did you see the show? It aired in two parts.
    It was a great show. Diane hosted it in 1998 which made it even better. Diane was fantastic hostess.

She was also on "Motown 45".
    Yes and what a disaster that was. Mary sounded bad, Cindy sounded worse. But at least Cindy hadn't sang in 20 yrs. Mary blamed her vocal on medication.

The following days radio stations blared out Supremes music saying "This is the way it was supposed to sound," or "Now you know why Diana Ross was the lead singer.

After this travesty gratefully no more Motown reunions have been planned

In her last interview with Goldmine magazine Cindy acknowledged she and Mary sounded bad but said she didn't know why.