[REMOVE ADS]

Various Artists "Motown: The Complete No.1's" 11CD box set [[Motown) 6/28/2019

Description
    Motown: The Complete No. 1’s includes Motown’s biggest hits in one special 11-CD package featuring classic songs that were No. 1 on multiple charts in the U.S. and around the world. Artists include Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Stevie Wonder, the Supremes, the Temptations, the Jackson 5, the Commodores, Gladys Knight & the Pips, the Four Tops, Boyz II Men, and many more. Housed in a replica of the original Hitsville Motown building, the box also includes a 100-page photo book with an introduction by Smokey Robinson, who was responsible for 20 Motown No. 1’s, plus rare and classic images and detailed annotations. Updated for Motown’s 60th in 2019, the set also includes 12 bonus tracks – the songs whose cover versions were No. 1, from Martha & the Vandellas’ “Dancing in the Street” [[No. 1 for David Bowie and Mick Jagger) to Stevie Wonder’s original “Pastime Paradise” [[adopted as Coolio feat. L.V.’s “Gangsta’s Paradis”).

Disc 11 is a newly curated bonus disc featuring updated No. 1’s and bonus tracks.

Includes a 100-page photo book with an introduction by Smokey Robinson, who was responsible for 20 Motown No. 1’s, plus rare and classic images and detailed annotations.

More details here:
    www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=109129

Thanks Eddie, I was only just looking on ebay for such an item. Wow brand new.

Did "Mama's Pearl" ever turn up on CD in its single mix?

"Mama's Pearl" on the J5 Anthology sounds rather like the single mix to me - could that be it?

Attachment 15394

To be honest with you all, I bought its original printed release [[originally coincided with Motown 50) back in Summer 2009, mostly for the harder-to-find Los Angeles years numbers, as most of the Detroit Motown tracks are fairly common.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Did "Mama's Pearl" ever turn up on CD in its single mix?
    I'm not sure but the single mix of "Mama's Pearl" on CD probably turned up on TCMS-1971 Vol. 11A.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I'm not sure but the single mix of "Mama's Pearl" on CD probably turned up on TCMS-1971 Vol. 11A.
    The TCMS Vol.11A contains only a mono album version ....
    The 1986 Anthology contains the stereo single mix...
    The original mono single mix is still unavailable on CD .

Looks like a great set. Here's the Second Disc's post about it. Fun to see the Miracles and Diana on both the first and last chronologically ordered discs; Diana appears on 9 of the 11 discs!
    https://theseconddisc.com/2019/04/re...anded-reissue/

The stereo single mix also appears on one of the UK Chartbusters lp. Basically if you channel it into mono you get the single mix

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    The stereo single mix also appears on one of the UK Chartbusters lp. Basically if you channel it into mono you get the single mix
    Perhaps on the CD version of Motown Chartbusters Volume 6, but not on the original vinyl LP.

The mix on the the CD version has the same vocal overdub over the intro as the single mix, but I’d have to listen more carefully to establish whether or not it’s exactly the same mix.

The version on the original vinyl album is definitely not the single mix. The intro lacks the vocal overdub.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 04-19-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Does "The Complete No. 1's" mean that every song included in the set was a #1 hit? I guess on some chart in some country in some form at some point...?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Does "The Complete No. 1's" mean that every song included in the set was a #1 hit? I guess on some chart in some country in some form at some point...?
    "Get Ready", Rare Earth, #1 Canada, "I'm Still Waiting" Diana Ross, #1 UK, #1 Ireland, "I've Never Been To Me", Charlene, #1 UK, #1 Australia, #1 Ireland, "One Day In Your Life", Michael Jackson, #1 UK, #1 Ireland.

Also, every number one, as in "Devil In The Bottle" and "Tryin' To Beat The Morning Home", from T.G. Sheppard was number one hits on the Country Chart, most of Marvin Gaye's and Temptations' entries, rather than just the three from Marvin, four from the Tempts, number ones on the Pop Chart, are from the R&B Chart, all of solo number one Smokey's on either the R&B and Adult Contemporary Chart, to even "Tina Cherry" from Georgio was included because it was a number one hit on the Dance Chart.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 04-20-2019 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjdestiny View Post
    The TCMS Vol.11A contains only a mono album version ....
    The 1986 Anthology contains the stereo single mix...
    The original mono single mix is still unavailable on CD .
    OK; didn't know that. I know this is a long shot but considering we're coming up on the 50th Anniversary of The Jackson 5's debut on Motown [[and the 10th Anniversary of Michael's death), Motown/UMe should do a 50th Anniversary Singles box set similar to the ones they did for The Supremes, Tops, Tempts & Martha. Hopefully, such a set would use the original mixes for their singles including the original mono single mix for "Mama's Pearl".