[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & Robin Thicke - Endless Love

Diana is in horrible voice

Too much excitement and hoopla too late in the day for an aging diva

Robin was awesome! And Diana is 75 and a legend, so she gets a pass. I mean, all I'm seeing is love, positivity, happiness, celebrations... so that's all there is to it, really.

Love Diana but this is a total train wreck of a performance!

You two are right

I have this thought that Diana should not be doing much beyond 75; she still has some incredible performances but age takes it’s toll and many of her colleagues stayed too long

Most of the recent clips [[10 years) I've seen impress me a lot more than what she did from Motown 25 on.. til say 2010...she sounded better and seemed to be making more of an effort to perform the songs, rather than speak out the lyrics, yell YAE! and give the big wave and toss her hair....this performance above seems to be a return to the "OK I'm here...and I'm fabulous" format.

why are these two singing together in the first place?? He also was chosen to sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY to her for some reason ... ???
    Were there some no shows for this wing ding??

Why was ROBIN invited? That's all I wanna know...

Doesn’t she usually do better than this? Why is she having so much trouble with this song?

Beyoncé sang Happy Birthday

This does not sound good at all! LOL!!!!

I was expecting a train wreck. It doesn't seem like they rehearsed much, and the key isn't great for Robin. But this isn't bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This does not sound good at all! LOL!!!!
    I was wondering how long it was going to take you to reply! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I was expecting a train wreck. It doesn't seem like they rehearsed much, and the key isn't great for Robin. But this isn't bad at all.
    I agree. I thought it was supposed to be really bad. But it was ok to me.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Doesn’t she usually do better than this? Why is she having so much trouble with this song?
    Doesnt Mary usually do better than this. Why is she having so much trouble with this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxfmUMi3QA

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Doesnt Mary usually do better than this. Why is she having so much trouble with this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxfmUMi3QA
    Thank goodness for backup singers and turning up theirs mics and turning hers down

Still not much is ever expected from Mary; she has to sing songs that are someone else’s and in the wrong key for her

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Why was ROBIN invited? That's all I wanna know...
    He must've been on Evan's guest list . lol!

jobeterob, Robin sang the official "happy birthday" right after beyonce got snookered into doing it.

Here it is:

Jesus....im one of Dianas biggest fans but she needs to call it a day now before she ruins her own legacy...not just her but Mary and Martha too..the young folks that look at this must think what all the fuss is about these legends....if they need to keep their legacies alive do talk shows and tell the younger generation how it was...let them be intrigued enough to go look on youtube and see how great they really were...the younger generation looking at things like this is not the way to remain an inspiration.

She sounds terrible

I have to agree. She has had a wonderful career, but she can no longer carry on like this. Same goes for Dionne and Martha. Only Gladys and maybe Patti of the all time greats can still cut the mustard. We have so many cherished memories to look back on. No way would i pay to watch this kind of performance anymore. I love Diana and always will,but this us no way to preserve her unique legacy.

Totally agree with you Bluebrock about Gladys...her recent stint on The Masked Singer was absolutely amazing..i was watching a clip on Youtube and my grandson asked who it was...when i told him and then told him how old she was he was amazed and asked if there were anymore clips of her he could see and hear...he knows what a big Diana fan i am and actually said to me Gladys knocks spots off Diana Ross now Grandad...this is what im saying..hes 14yrs old and now thinks Gladys is cool but cant stand to listen to Diana yet he loved all her earlier stuff...seems like as long as there are folks who tell them they can still cut it they will carry on regardless...such a shame.

One crappy performance at a birthday party and folks are ready for her to retire. Forget all the real good reviews shes been getting in Vegas and around the country. IMO one bad performance at. A birthday party doesnt mean s*it.

^^^. I agree. This event was after a party at a club. We have all been to clubs at one point in time and I know you have to practically shout to be heard over the music. So that is bad for the voice if you have to sing afterwards. She should have done the concert first and then a party afterwords. It’s a shame really because she recorded this concert. As far as it seeming like things weren’t rehearsed I’m sure there was not much rehearsal time as Diana threw this together at the last minute.
    Last edited by khansperac; 04-21-2019 at 09:56 AM.

One crappy performance at a birthday party and folks are ready for her to retire. Forget all the real good reviews shes been getting in Vegas and around the country. IMO one bad performance at. A birthday party doesnt mean s*it.
    Thank you Roberta. The voice of reason. I agree. She is still performing to packed venues all over the country with rave reviews. Believe me the critics would love to criticize her shows but instead always still rave at her shows.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 04-21-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    He must've been on Evan's guest list . lol!

jobeterob, Robin sang the official "happy birthday" right after beyonce got snookered into doing it.

Here it is:

That would explain it. LOL

That was just so random.

But yeah doesn't seem like no one rehearsed.

Lol don't pay anyone any mind, she was having fun. That's the important fun [[just like Mary was also having fun). Cut the girls a break, guys. They're 75 and still doing their thing. How many 75-year-old women you know do what Diana and Mary do?

Exactly LOL

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Lol don't pay anyone any mind, she was having fun. That's the important fun [[just like Mary was also having fun). Cut the girls a break, guys. They're 75 and still doing their thing. How many 75-year-old women you know do what Diana and Mary do?

Exactly LOL
    I do agree

It was a Birthday party - not a concert

And Diana has had some wonderful performances lately as people mention

Still I think this might be a bit of a last hurrah

None of these people can sing forever and sound like they did at age 25

Possibly. She's been in show business since she was 15.

That's a lifetime. Come on. 60 years?

^I like your point !

I get a kick out of the exchange between Diana and Berry on the video.

I think it goes like this:
    Diana references herself as turning 75. Then she's distracted by a loud reaction, someone [[Berry) saying "oh! you ....!" sounding shocked while clutching his heart, [[ 75! ... older than me) .
    She turns and looks over to him. Laughing incredulously , "I'm not older than you !!!! ha ha ha", bending over, laughing hard.
    Berry: "If you seventy-five!!!", while double pointing at her.
    Diana gives him a long playful glare, thinking it over, "OK , I'm forty-seven then. ha ha ha."

Still flirtation after all these years .....

I actually think that's the best part [[ of what's shown) of the whole evening!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-21-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Totally unprepared and unrehearsed gets you this. Diana wasn't in great voice, but Robin completely blew her out of the water. Diana even looks like she knows she's doomed.

That's why you sing this with a backup that still makes you look like the star.

Unrelated, a few years back on American Idol, Jennifer Holliday was brought on to sing "Telling You" as a duet with a contestant. Jennifer annihilated the poor thing on stage. I think at one point she just gave up. It's tough to be outshined in your own show.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Totally unprepared and unrehearsed gets you this. Diana wasn't in great voice, but Robin completely blew her out of the water. Diana even looks like she knows she's doomed.

That's why you sing this with a backup that still makes you look like the star.

Unrelated, a few years back on American Idol, Jennifer Holliday was brought on to sing "Telling You" as a duet with a contestant. Jennifer annihilated the poor thing on stage. I think at one point she just gave up. It's tough to be outshined in your own show.
    Thankfully she was in much better voice on the Motown 60 show. Based on that performance she still has that special charisma that more than makes up for any deficiances in her voice.

She is in trouble with this song at least since 2000. I would go as far as 1994.

I didn't bother with the video because I don't have time for Robin Thicke even if he's singing with Diana. But Diana's performance of "My Man" on Motown 60 was not of a woman who needs to give it up. Y'all trippin.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I didn't bother with the video because I don't have time for Robin Thicke even if he's singing with Diana. But Diana's performance of "My Man" on Motown 60 was not of a woman who needs to give it up. Y'all trippin.
    You are RIGHT!!

I was never a fan of this song, and this is certainly not a very good rendition of it. But it sounds to me like a very difficult song to sing, because ironically it seems to almost stay within a few notes during the entire melody giving the song a kind of "static" quality. I also don't think it was the kind of song that Ross does well to begin with. It's way too slow and ponderous almost in its arrangement. Although I know it was popular when it came out, I think someone has yet to record the definitive version of it.

Posting this video:

Keep in mind Diana is a 75-year-old woman who can still sing songs in the original key... y'all who think she's "over" think it's still 1989 lmao

Was she drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Was she drunk?
    Maybe you should get real good and drunk as it may wash away all your endless negativity. But then again there aint enough liquor in the country for that to happen. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.