[REMOVE ADS]

Cheryl Lynn "Got To Be Real: The Columbia Anthology" 2CD set [[SoulMusic UK) 6/14/19

Description
    SoulMusic Records is proud to present "Got To Be Real: The Columbia Anthology," a 31-track 2-CD retrospective drawn from the six albums recorded by much-loved singer/songwriter Cheryl Lynn between 1978-1985 along with three recordings featuring her soulful distinctive vocals as a special guest. .When CBS Records signed Los Angeles-born Cheryl in 1977, it was hot on the heels of her powerhouse performance on 'The Gong Show,' a then-popular US television talent contest; at 21, she reluctantly entered the contest, only to emerge as the clear winner. A bidding war among major US record labels ensued and after she opted for a deal with CBS, Cheryl was paired with the production team of Marty and David Paich. The result was Cheryl's self-titled Columbia certified gold debut album for which Cheryl co-wrote five songs including the now-classic 'Got To Be Real'. .With further chart success via 'Star Love' and as a special guest on Toto's memorable hit, 'Georgy Porgy', Cheryl's recording career moved into high gear. This 2019 compilation of some of her finest work features Cheryl's twelve subsequent US charted singles, including 'Shake It Up Tonight' [[from the Ray Parker Jr.-produced 1981 LP, "In The Night"); 'If This World Were Mine', Cheryl's sumptuous duet with Luther Vandross [[who produced her 1982 LP, "Instant Love"); the Jam & Lewis-produced US R&B chart topper 'Encore' [[from the1984 LP, "Preppie"); and 1985's 'At Last You're Mine', from the movie Heavenly Bodies..Also included here are key cuts from Cheryl's 1979 sophomore LP, "In Love" [[produced by Barry Blue) and her 1985 swansong set, "It's Gonna Be Right" and Cheryl's haunting performance on famed jazz flautist Hubert Laws' 1982 recording, 'Goodbye For Now'..With stellar liner notes by renowned US writer, Janine Coveney, first class mastering by Nick Robbins and great artwork from Roger Williams, this musically-satisfying compilation showcases Cheryl Lynn's dexterity as a multi-talented songwriter and producer and as an acclaimed dance music diva.

Tracklist
    TBA

Looks like one I have to get! Fond memories of Cherl Lynn. I forgot about her being on the Gong Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Description
    SoulMusic Records is proud to present "Got To Be Real: The Columbia Anthology," a 31-track 2-CD retrospective drawn from the six albums recorded by much-loved singer/songwriter Cheryl Lynn between 1978-1985 along with three recordings featuring her soulful distinctive vocals as a special guest. .When CBS Records signed Los Angeles-born Cheryl in 1977, it was hot on the heels of her powerhouse performance on 'The Gong Show,' a then-popular US television talent contest; at 21, she reluctantly entered the contest, only to emerge as the clear winner. A bidding war among major US record labels ensued and after she opted for a deal with CBS, Cheryl was paired with the production team of Marty and David Paich. The result was Cheryl's self-titled Columbia certified gold debut album for which Cheryl co-wrote five songs including the now-classic 'Got To Be Real'. .With further chart success via 'Star Love' and as a special guest on Toto's memorable hit, 'Georgy Porgy', Cheryl's recording career moved into high gear. This 2019 compilation of some of her finest work features Cheryl's twelve subsequent US charted singles, including 'Shake It Up Tonight' [[from the Ray Parker Jr.-produced 1981 LP, "In The Night"); 'If This World Were Mine', Cheryl's sumptuous duet with Luther Vandross [[who produced her 1982 LP, "Instant Love"); the Jam & Lewis-produced US R&B chart topper 'Encore' [[from the1984 LP, "Preppie"); and 1985's 'At Last You're Mine', from the movie Heavenly Bodies..Also included here are key cuts from Cheryl's 1979 sophomore LP, "In Love" [[produced by Barry Blue) and her 1985 swansong set, "It's Gonna Be Right" and Cheryl's haunting performance on famed jazz flautist Hubert Laws' 1982 recording, 'Goodbye For Now'..With stellar liner notes by renowned US writer, Janine Coveney, first class mastering by Nick Robbins and great artwork from Roger Williams, this musically-satisfying compilation showcases Cheryl Lynn's dexterity as a multi-talented songwriter and producer and as an acclaimed dance music diva.

Tracklist
    TBA

This one has been a long time coming, but it will be worth the wait.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 04-17-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Not finished the post

Cheryl performing at Ray Parkers Walk Of Fame Party a few years ago. She brought it and
    can still sing her classic hit ... Nice person to talk to as well...

I am not sure I will buy either this or the James and Bobby, but I am happy to see this series continue. Some of the others have been quite good.

Nice! Looking forward to getting this one!

Wasn't Cheryl a finalist for the role of Effie in 'Dreamgirls' that ultimately went to Jennifer Holliday? I recall reading it somewhere but now can't find any mention of it.