[REMOVE ADS]

Dusty Springfield - 80th Birthday Remembrance - 16th April 1939

OK, so not a Motown artist. However in the UK Dusty was a huge fan and supporter of Motown culminating in the Ready Steady Go! 1965 special featuring Supremes, Miracles, Temptations and Martha with whom she sang 'Wishin' & Hopin''. She recorded and performed many Motown songs with her favourite being 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough'. In 1966 she asked Val & Nick if she could have it but was refused as they said that they needed it for a Motown artist. Sadly she never did record it. Today 16th April 2019 Dusty would have been 80. She was arguably the best female singer to come out of the UK. Here are just a few of her songs.

Thank you very much for this, Copley!

I had the Ready Steady Go video....it was an early B&W time capsule masterpiece! Everyone was so young...and the finale of the entire cast doing Mickey's Monkey remains one of my all time fav clips.
    Dusty was also fond of Euro composers....some of her songs were the first English language versions I believe....my personal DS favs are Little By Little, I Close My Eye's and Count to Ten, All I See is You...and of course she owns Son of A Preacher Man. [[Ike and Tina's version on the 'IN PERSON' LP comes close, and they next do a credible version of Grapevine)

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    OK, so not a Motown artist. However in the UK Dusty was a huge fan and supporter of Motown culminating in the Ready Steady Go! 1965 special featuring Supremes, Miracles, Temptations and Martha with whom she sang 'Wishin' & Hopin''. She recorded and performed many Motown songs with her favourite being 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough'. In 1966 she asked Val & Nick if she could have it but was refused as they said that they needed it for a Motown artist. Sadly she never did record it. Today 16th April 2019 Dusty would have been 80. She was arguably the best female singer to come out of the UK. Here are just a few of her songs.

Thank you for that. Dusty was one of the finest female vocalists i have ever heard. Her voice was so rich and full of emotion. She could really bring a song to life. It is such a pity that Dusty was so hard on herself. She found it difficult to find true happiness and contentment in her life. She could be very difficult, and she could also be very caring and considerate. we will never forget her. R.I.P.

Hi Copley, and thank you for your timely reminder. Nice to see someone else who loves her music. By coincidence, I have only just finished reading a biography about her written by Lucy O'Brien which I had bought years ago.

2 March this year was the 20th anniversary of her passing, the same day I believe she was due to receive her OBE. [[I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong). This anniversary also gave me a chance to work my way through my entire collection of her recordings, and to add three additional CDs to fill in some gaps.

Somewhere in my archives, I still have VHS tapes of the Ready Steady Go! programmes repeated sometime in the 1980s and I must get round to transferring them to DVD before my equipment fails. Amongst them is the episode mentioned by "gman" with Dusty introducing the Motown artists and singing along with them.

R.I.P. Dusty from one of your life-long fans who bought, and still possess, your first solo single back in late-1963.

Has anyone purchased the mono vinyl reissues of Dusty's first three American albums on the Premium Cool label? Her masters situation seems to be murky [[we are sooooo lucky as Motown fans to have reissues of original hit mixes from mastertapes), which makes me wonder about the sound on these LPs. I've read one or two positive reviews but nothing detailed.

https://www.amazon.com/Stay-Awhile-O...dp/B017PPG538/
    https://www.amazon.com/Dusty-180-Gram-Mono-Springfield/dp/B017PPXFO0/

https://www.amazon.com/Ooooooweeee-G...dp/B072HJNF3Q/

Name:  51-uLsfCG5L.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  62.3 KBName:  81H6D6Qt2LL._SX450_.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  47.0 KBName:  511YxSIopdL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  34.9 KB