[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Nancy and Jean

Nancy and Jean

One of my favorite Nancy Wilson albums. Just got to thinking....
    I would have loved to hear what Jean Terrell could have
    done with it....esp. "When October Goes" and "The Last Dream Home."
    Last edited by lakeside; 04-15-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

One of my favorite Nancy Wilson albums. Just got to thinking....
    I would have loved to hear what Jean Terrell could have
    done with it....esp. "When October Goes" and "The Next Dream Home."
    Mary Wilson sang "When October Goes" at Nancy's funeral and sounded great.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thankfully i didn't hear that but i would love to have heard Jean in her prime attempting it. She had the correct vocal tone to do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Thankfully i didn't hear that but i would love to have heard Jean in her prime attempting it. She had the correct vocal tone to do it justice.

I will assure you that you were of NO consideration when the planners of Nancy Wilson's funeral services were planning things. Who are you? nobody!
    Last edited by marv2; 04-15-2019 at 05:13 PM.

I will assure you that you were of NO consideration when the planners of Nancy Wilson's funeral services were planning things. Who are you? nobody!
    marv just be the bigger person and ignore it

He carried it too far to use a funeral as a chance to take a dig at Mary. So inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    marv just be the bigger person and ignore it
    You're right. I am going to do that. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    He carried it too far to use a funeral as a chance to take a dig at Mary. So inappropriate.
    He's just so bitter.

I wasn't aware that Nancy Wilson had passed, so this was a surprise to me. When I was young, I considered her way too tame of a singer but I grew in recent years to really appreciate her style and talent. What a great singer, who just refused to be neatly categorized. I am sorry to learn that she passed. I think it great that Mary sang at her funeral.

Nancy Wilson had no funeral as per her personal wishes. Her memorial service is forthcoming. You may be thinking of a recent performance of Mary's where she sang it.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Nancy Wilson had no funeral as per her personal wishes. Her memorial service is forthcoming. You may be thinking of a recent performance of Mary's where she sang it.
    I saw and heard the video. It was held in a church. They had a large screen flashing images of Nancy above the pulpit. Mary Wilson gave a speech and then sang "When October Goes". Mary broke down at the end of the song. Spoke of her long friendship with Nancy dating back to the 60s and how Nancy use to call her "little Miss Mary Wilson". She spoke about how much fun they had doing Dionne Warwick's "That's What Friends Are For" television special in the 80s, etc etc. etc. The video was/is on Facebook. If I can find the link, I'll post it here. No need to lie here.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-15-2019 at 10:32 PM.

I am still looking for the video, but here are a couple of pictures from inside the church during the service:

https://www.facebook.com/DeniseDonat...2cpwXAAcHxk38c

Ok here is the video. I hope this works:

https://www.facebook.com/thyais.wals...type=3&theater

Ah, okay. So they had the memorial already, but not a funeral. I stand corrected.

Thank you Marv.

Ah, okay. So they had the memorial already, but not a funeral. I stand corrected.
    You know what? I never really understood the difference between a funeral and memorial service. What's the difference?

Thank you Marv.
    You're very welcome Luke.

You know what? I never really understood the difference between a funeral and memorial service. What's the difference?
    Generally , the body/remains are in place for a funeral, whereas for a memorial they are not. [[My preacher’s kid origins are kicking in, I guess.) 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Interesting; I would think Jean's voice too high but the more I consider it the better this 'wishitwere' version sounds. The song WOG has a great history; you may recall that Johnny Mercer's widow gave the music to Barry Manilow to create lyrics for. 'Twas first on his 'Paradise Cafe' lp. Nancy performs the definitive version, I think. I'll pass on the funeral version.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Interesting; I would think Jean's voice too high but the more I consider it the better this 'wishitwere' version sounds. The song WOG has a great history; you may recall that Johnny Mercer's widow gave the music to Barry Manilow to create lyrics for. 'Twas first on his 'Paradise Cafe' lp. Nancy performs the definitive version, I think. I'll pass on the funeral version.
    Yes, Nancy did the definite LP here for the Mercer lyrics. In listening to the entire
    LP the other day, I thought....what if Jean were handed this LP to record? Another
    of those 'what if's'.
    Last edited by lakeside; 04-16-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I did not know about the Barry Manilow connection. Interesting. I still think Jean could have done a decent job with it, but Nancy owns this song for sure.

No one comes even close to Nancy and how she interrupted music and made the song hers.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    No one comes even close to Nancy and how she interrupted music and made the song hers.
    I am not saying Jean could have surpassed Nancy's efforts. That would be a bridge too far for most performers, but it would have been interesting to have heard what Jean could have done with such material.

Understand Luke. Unfortunately his ignorance is the downside of freedom of speech.