[REMOVE ADS]

CD Player Vital in Car Purchase

Since I value the opinions and knowledge of the people on here, I am posting this question with an advanced apology and with the understanding that Ralph can delete the thread if he considers it inappropriate.

I am shopping for a new car and as a music lover, I have over 2,000 CDs that I rotate in my car. Well as most of you know, CDs are on their way out and therefore it is hard to find a new car with a CD player.

Today I learned that the Subaru Legacy appears to be about the only 2019 car in its category that does come with a CD player. But most ratings I am reading do not consider it near the top. Honda Accord, which I have owned plenty of, seems to have that honor.

So should I buy a car, using the CD player as my primary goal? Is there enough of a difference in quality to make me regret it? I guess what I am really asking is "are there any satisfied Subaru owners out there who would say go for it?"

And before anyone brings this up, yes I know I should join the digital age, but I just enjoy my CDs sooooooo much that I want to hang on to that pleasure as long as I can. Thanks for any advice if Ralph allows this thread to stand.

Interesting. But can't a player be installed in a car that does not feature one? Not sure myself.

According to one source, changing anything about the sound system in the Accord is NOT recommended. It does seem to be possible with the Toyota Camry but I just question the wisdom of putting in something in any car that is not factory-installed.

One dealer wants me to invest in some portable CD player that would plug into my USB or something like that but I can't wrap my head around that concept. That is why I just want a car that comes with one.

Range Rover...And yes...you can install a CD player or changer to virtually any model...

Now don't start talking about "changers." I had a car once with a six CD changer in it and it was heavenly. In fact wouldn't it have come in handy tonight when I was out for a ride and playing the great 5 CD box set entitled "Total Motown." Highly recommend that set by the way.

But one guy whose opinion I trust told me that the only way to install a six CD changer these days would be to mount it in the trunk and that would be a royal pain.

Please keep those cards and letters coming!!!

My Car came with an SD Card, I thought I would never get into using it, but it is unbelievable how easy it is! and as I get a new album I just add it onto the small SD Card, can't believe how many albums you can fit on these so small cards.

David

I too share the problem which you have raised. About two months' ago, I was looking for a new car - either Mercedes Benz, Audi or BMW. Most now are being manufactured without a CD player, and when I asked about having one installed, the response was - "we can't install it" and from one or two car dealers, 'why do you want to? Just play music through your iPhone'!

Eventually, I have ordered a new car [[due to arrive early next month from Germany), which HAS a CD player [[and a few other items I specifically wanted).

Several of my earlier cars, had six disc CD changer - these were always mounted in the boot.

I'm a very long way off from abandoning CD - I rarely will download music [[the 'Diana Ross + The Supremes Sing and Perform "Funny Girl"' being the only one I recall).

Gordy:

Thanks for your input. I am happy to see that I am not alone in my "old school" ways. I guess eventually I will have no choice but to adapt to the more modern ways. But at least this time I have options for holding on to my CD collection for the life of at least one more car. It is just a matter of "which" car that turns out to me and how I go about getting my CDs played. Sometimes I wish I was one of those people that only buy a car every 10-15 years and just run them into the ground. But that is not my style........I generally trade every 3-4 years. I have been around long enough to remember having a car with an 8 track player, then one with both 8 track AND cassette during that transitional phase, then one with both cassette and CD, and finally I thought with CDs we would have it made in the music industry, at least for as long as I was still alive! But here we are! Thanks again to you and others for your input.

In my last car I installed a CD player which had a USB port on the side....
    In my new car it has just a standard CD player... I now miss my old player especially on long journeys...

Get one with a USB and just load it up with your favourite tunes... you'll never wanna go backwards after that

The latest on this story is that I have now found a second option to choose from that does have a standard CD player in its 2019 model. It is the Volkswagen Passat. So, despite how highly rated the Accord and Camry are, I will most likely decide in the next few days between a Legacy and a Passat. It will depend on who offers me the best deal. Thanks again for all the nice input.

I must admit, I always buy German cars [[or just occasionally a Japanese one). You can't go wrong with German ones - I've had BMW, Audi and VW in the past. I'd choose a Passat [[well, if I was going to choose a non-soft top).

This is actually an important discussion. I was disappointed when I bought my last car and it did not have the cd player but these days I usually listen to my music on shuffle so the auxiliary plug is a God send. I specifically bought an android phone just to hold my sd card that has close to 4,000 songs on it. My iPhone is just for calling, texting, etc. It's always a great surprise when you don't know which song will be playing next. I also have a 2000 Volvo which drives like a charm and has a cd and cassette player. Now that's an added bonus because prior to purchasing that car from an 82 year old gentleman, I had boxes of cassettes that I hadn't heard in years so every once in a while I take that car out just to enjoy my cassettes.

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Get one with a USB and just load it up with your favourite tunes... you'll never wanna go backwards after that
    It's true. I used to be wedded to my CDs. Now I have a tiny 128gb flashdrive that houses music from about 300 CDs organized by artist and album. No stratching, no skipping.

Still no decision but if you believe in karma, kismet and all that stuff, you will get a charge out of what happened to me tonight........the outgoing car must have picked up vibrations that I am about to get rid of her because the battery died on me in a rather isolated out of the way place. So when I trade it in the next week or so, the new owner will be getting a brand new battery!

I just purchased a 2019 Subaru Forester and was glad to see it had a CD player. I need to upgrade the sound though. It's lacking in the low end. Times have changed but I like my CDs also. The Forester doesn't have a storage bin to fit CDs though. The one under the arm rest is small and I have my GPS in a case there so, it's a no go. The safety features and technology in new cars are nice though.