[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    The Second Disc Reviews The Billy Paul Anthology


  2. #2
    I never knew Billy Paul until Mrs. Jones hit but I'll never forget a friend of mine who has since passed, introduced me to the Going East (1971) album in 1974. Years later in the 2000's I was able to find her a cd of it and copy the songs I wanted. It's really a fascinating album.

  3. #3
    [QUOTE=PeaceNHarmony;511024]https://theseconddisc.com/2019/04/th...-new-2-cd-set/[/QUOTE
    I am very proud to have been involved in the compilation of this album. I suggested the idea to David Nathan last year and we came up with thetrack listing. My only disappointment is that we could not find room for "July July July" but that apart i am very happy with the way it turned out. Billy was especially fond of the track "lately" taken from his Total Experience album from the mid 80's. I am delighted we were able to include that song on the album as a tribute to him. I would like to think he would be proud of this long overdue compilation. R.I.P. Billy.

  4. #4
    Very complet selection and good concept (social concerned and love songs).

    Sadly, no one track from "Feeling Good At The Cadillac Club"... I was in love at the first audition of "Billy Boy", I likes the way Billy sang "scat"! I discovered it on my vynil copy of "The Best Of B.P." (2 x LP) the same year that was published, 1979 and little after I found "Feeling Good At The Cadillac Club" printed in USA, reissued on PIR on a second-hand store in Barcelona. Or another great tune, originally from Jean Claude T, "Nude and Next To Nature"... or, IMHO, one of the best example of Billy's "funky capacity": the super groove "When It's Your Time To Go".

    Also I'm wondering (as in the case of many other PIR artists) how many good tracks like "New Day, New World's Coming" (unissued until the P.I. All-Stars 1977 album) can exist in the G & H vaults.

    Finally I should to say I was very critical with his "new sound" not "big-band" flavoured on "Lately" and "Wide Open" (this on Ichiban) albums at the time (the 80's), but more I heard it, more i love it, specially the standar "On A Clear Day" that he covered also on his PIR period, "Sexual Terapy" (both from "Lately") and the title track of "Wide Open".

    Cheers from a great Billy admirator since his teens! Billy was the "guilty" jointly with The O'Jays of my devotion for Soul Music.
    Last edited by manny; 04-13-2019 at 05:41 PM.

  5. #5
    [QUOTE=Bluebrock;511117]
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    https://theseconddisc.com/2019/04/th...-new-2-cd-set/[/QUOTE
    I am very proud to have been involved in the compilation of this album. I suggested the idea to David Nathan last year and we came up with thetrack listing. My only disappointment is that we could not find room for "July July July" but that apart i am very happy with the way it turned out. Billy was especially fond of the track "lately" taken from his Total Experience album from the mid 80's. I am delighted we were able to include that song on the album as a tribute to him. I would like to think he would be proud of this long overdue compilation. R.I.P. Billy.
    How interesting that you were involved! Is there anything you are regretful of yourself for having been left off? I always found Billy to be more of an 'album' artist so this track listing will be a nice re-set for me! Were there any particular challenges (licensing, sound quality, etc) in putting together the set?

  6. #6
    [QUOTE=PeaceNHarmony;511669]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    How interesting that you were involved! Is there anything you are regretful of yourself for having been left off? I always found Billy to be more of an 'album' artist so this track listing will be a nice re-set for me! Were there any particular challenges (licensing, sound quality, etc) in putting together the set?
    It didn't take long to get this compilation on the move. I suggested the idea to David Nathan back in October 2018. Sony immediately gave us the green light, and it all ran very smoothly. I pushed to have "lately" from Billy's Total Experience album included. It was one of Billy's personal favorites. David initially wanted the live version of Mrs Jones included instead, but i finally got my way! I would have liked to have included a track from his Cadillac Club album but we ran out of space. My only regret is the omission of "july july july". We should have included it, but alas no compilation is perfect. The forthcoming Cheryl Lynn anthology took way longer to clear. Work on that one began over 12 months ago, and it is now finally scheduled for June. Hope you appreciate the Billy Anthology. I sent a copy to our mutual friend TomatoTom and he e-mailed me to say he received it yesterday. I am looking forward to his thoughts on it.

  7. #7
    [QUOTE=Bluebrock;512079]
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    It didn't take long to get this compilation on the move. I suggested the idea to David Nathan back in October 2018. Sony immediately gave us the green light, and it all ran very smoothly. I pushed to have "lately" from Billy's Total Experience album included. It was one of Billy's personal favorites. David initially wanted the live version of Mrs Jones included instead, but i finally got my way! I would have liked to have included a track from his Cadillac Club album but we ran out of space. My only regret is the omission of "july july july". We should have included it, but alas no compilation is perfect. The forthcoming Cheryl Lynn anthology took way longer to clear. Work on that one began over 12 months ago, and it is now finally scheduled for June. Hope you appreciate the Billy Anthology. I sent a copy to our mutual friend TomatoTom and he e-mailed me to say he received it yesterday. I am looking forward to his thoughts on it.
    Interesting; I can't help but wonder about the different lengths of time the clearances took between the projects. I, too, look forward to hearing T-Tom's review of the set. He always has good points of view.

  8. #8
    I too am looking forward to T-Tom's review of the anthology cd. In my opinion he has the best points of view I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I too am looking forward to T-Tom's review of the anthology cd. In my opinion he has the best points of view I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.
    We await your opinion with baited breath......

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I too am looking forward to T-Tom's review of the anthology cd. In my opinion he has the best points of view I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.
    Hi Tom! Happy Friday! I really look forward to hearing what you think of the Billy Paul compilation. Best always!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Hi Tom! Happy Friday! I really look forward to hearing what you think of the Billy Paul compilation. Best always!
    I haven't heard from him in several days so it sounds like he may be disappointed with it.

  12. #12
    I listened to the first disc and enjoyed it! Excellent tracklist. Really liked almost all of the songs. I only knew "Am I Black Enough For You", "Let Em In" and "Only The Strong Survive" (which I still loved) but other faves so far would be "False Faces", "We All Got A Mission" and "Thanks For Saving My Life"!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I listened to the first disc and enjoyed it! Excellent tracklist. Really liked almost all of the songs. I only knew "Am I Black Enough For You", "Let Em In" and "Only The Strong Survive" (which I still loved) but other faves so far would be "False Faces", "We All Got A Mission" and "Thanks For Saving My Life"!
    Good stuff! Please carry on listening. Billy was a very gifted performer.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I listened to the first disc and enjoyed it! Excellent tracklist. Really liked almost all of the songs. I only knew "Am I Black Enough For You", "Let Em In" and "Only The Strong Survive" (which I still loved) but other faves so far would be "False Faces", "We All Got A Mission" and "Thanks For Saving My Life"!
    Tell us what you think about Billy's style of singing, what makes him stand out, and the production style as well.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Tell us what you think about Billy's style of singing, what makes him stand out, and the production style as well.
    Anything else PNH? LOL

    I, of course, love the production throughout. Philadelphia soul at its finest. The late 70s stuff with more of a disco influence is just as fantastic. Billy's voice I think is incredibly distinctive and unique. I can't think of anyone else that sounds like him really. A great singer.

    Seperate point: I have no idea what PIR we’re doing when they released "Am I Black Enough For You" as the follow-up to "Me And Mrs. Jones". Quite ridiculous!! What do you think the follow-up should have been?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Good stuff! Please carry on listening. Billy was a very gifted performer.
    Thanks Blue. I'll give the second one a listen when I find the time.

  17. #17
    Haaaaaaa,i'm listening to billy paul's-when love is new right now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.