[REMOVE ADS]

Don't Tell Me Tell Mary!!

Just listening to "Don't Tell Me, Tell Her" by Odyssey and thought it would have been a nice fit for Mary Wilson, perhaps on her solo debut LP.

What do you reckon?

Any other songs you think could have been a good fit for Mary?

I Don't Know Why by Norah Jones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4dxvguQDk

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Just listening to "Don't Tell Me, Tell Her" by Odyssey and thought it would have been a nice fit for Mary Wilson, perhaps on her solo debut LP.

What do you reckon?

Any other songs you think could have been a good fit for Mary?
    Interesting, "Native New Yorker" by Odessey is one of Mary's favorite records. She use to play it on her radio show on WWRL in the late 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    I Don't Know Why by Norah Jones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4dxvguQDk
    Mary does a great job with the song. I love her version the most:

I think Phyllis did the official version of this. Mary would've done a great job but it would've been #3 behind the other two. Especially Miss Phyllis.

[QUOTE=TomatoTom123;510811]Just listening to "Don't Tell Me, Tell Her" by Odyssey and thought it would have been a nice fit for Mary Wilson, perhaps on her solo debut LP.

What do you reckon?

Any other songs you think could have been a good fit for Mary?[/QU
    I don't think Mary could have done as good a job vocally on this as the late Lillian Lopez did. Lillian was a very talented vocalist and a very nice lady too. She owned this song. I for one am glad Mary Wilson never attempted this.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I think Phyllis did the official version of this. Mary would've done a great job but it would've been #3 behind the other two. Especially Miss Phyllis.
    Phyllis does a great job on this as you would expect, but i think i prefer the Odyssey version mainly because it is the version i heard first and i kind of played it to death, and i saw them perform it live many times.

Great minds think alike Tom. I had it on my to do list to start a thread about songs we could hear Mary singing but you beat me to it. I'm not a fan of this Odyssey song, but I could hear Mary doing "Don't Tell Me". Believe it or not, but I could also hear Mary doing this one...

Obviously Tina owns it. But had it never gotten to Tina and instead found it's way to Mary I think she would've done it justice.

Here's another one I think Mary would've been perfect for.

And I have another shocker for you. This performance of Mary on "The Way We Were" [[a song that I hated for years, but somehow managed to really like Gladys Knight and Donna Summers' versions) is my favorite version of the song. It's a shame she never recorded it.

Didn’t Mary used to sing Piano In the Dark In her shows?

Yes she did. I saw her perform it in the mid-90s at the Sunset Junction Street Fair a couple of times over those years.

Here she is doing "Piano In the Dark" in 1999. I first heard her sing it in 1990:

Oh Hell No! Odyssey's version is superb and definitive.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Oh Hell No! Odyssey's version is superb and definitive.
    At last a voice of reason. No way could Mary compete with Lillian and Odyssey.i am just grateful she never got her paws on this lovely song. Phyllis sounds good doing it too,but then again she could have sung a nursery rhythm and made it sound heavenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    At last a voice of reason. No way could Mary compete with Lillian and Odyssey.i am just grateful she never got her paws on this lovely song. Phyllis sounds good doing it too,but then again she could have sung a nursery rhythm and made it sound heavenly.
    True about Phyllis. The Odyssey vocals had a rare and sui generis 'elegant street' sound that is difficult to replicate. Wilson's yodelin' style is not at all appropriate to this sort of material.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 04-10-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I love both versions and am not quite sure which one I prefer most!!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Great minds think alike Tom. I had it on my to do list to start a thread about songs we could hear Mary singing but you beat me to it. I'm not a fan of this Odyssey song, but I could hear Mary doing "Don't Tell Me". Believe it or not, but I could also hear Mary doing this one...

Obviously Tina owns it. But had it never gotten to Tina and instead found it's way to Mary I think she would've done it justice.
    Ooh, I hadn't thought of that one RanRan. That would have been interesting.

No Mary couldn't compete with Lillian Lopez because Lillian is dead. Sadly, so is Phyllis for that matter. I've never heard Mary say she wanted to record this song or even sing it.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-11-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No Mary couldn't compete with Lillian Lopez because Lillian is dead. Sadly, so is Phyllis for that matter. I've never heard Mary say she wanted to record this song or even sing it.
    Thank heavens for that. We have to be grateful for small mercies.

She would have sounded good on "How About You" [[ DRoss & Chris Clark).

I think most of the voices in this thread have been reasonable, even if opinions differ. But why would Mary compete with the ladies you mention? Mary is Mary, Lillian is Lillian, Phyllis is Phyllis. All talented women who only needed to approach a song with her own creativity with no thought to anyone else giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    She would have sounded good on "How About You" [[ DRoss & Chris Clark).
    I had to go to Youtube and look up Chris' version. Had no idea she did the song. I'm not a fan of Chris' voice, but listening to her version I have to agree with you that Mary could've done it. In fact I would probably prefer Mary on most of the stuff Chris recorded.