[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mary Wilson Displays Supreme Glamour in New Motown Book

I would only be interested in this if there were tons of never before seen photos. I'm not all that interested in what the ladies wore. I'll never go see Mary's Supremes gowns unless the Supremes are actually in them. But anytime Mark Bego is involved, I'm out anyway. He'll never get even a penny of my money. Why the hell does Mary keeping hooking up with him for stuff? That's why I didn't buy her cookbook. As long as his money is tied up with her money, Mary will never see a dime from me.

^I will say that the gown exhibit is 1) well done and 2) stunning to see in person. For the most part it's done a good job of trying to re-emphasize the importance of the Supremes within the overall context of civil rights advancement. To the huge majority of people today, that connection is sort of lost. But when you not only hear someone like Oprah talk about what a ground breaking visual it was to see the Sups on Ed doing CSAM and think about it, you see just how important the group was. That as hard as it seems today, in 64 the only blacks you saw on tv were either Mammy, Aunt Jemima or Buckwheat. hardly inspirational role models

I love chatting up the gowns lolol as i'm sure you've noticed through the years with my posts and of course i'll admit that when us fans on here get to debating their wardrobe it's a rather "niche" topic lol

but image was a huge part of the Supremes overall impact on society and history. The green swirl gowns were select and shown in a fashion book about the 100 most important dresses of the 20th century because 1) they fabulous! lol 2) they're very iconic and are a perfect visual representation of the Sup glamour and 3) they and the TCB special epitomize the groundbreaking force that was the Supremes

anyway - a long winded answer to my simply encouraging you to check out the exhibit some time when you're able

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'll never go see Mary's Supremes gowns unless the Supremes are actually in them.
    What kind of dumb remark is that?

I'm not very interested in the clothes and gowns either. I'm not sure I'd go to see some clothes but I'd glance through the book.

Mary and Mark Bego did a cooking book? It must have come and gone pretty quick.

But at least if this is coming out, that is a landmark.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ^I will say that the gown exhibit is 1) well done and 2) stunning to see in person. For the most part it's done a good job of trying to re-emphasize the importance of the Supremes within the overall context of civil rights advancement. To the huge majority of people today, that connection is sort of lost. But when you not only hear someone like Oprah talk about what a ground breaking visual it was to see the Sups on Ed doing CSAM and think about it, you see just how important the group was. That as hard as it seems today, in 64 the only blacks you saw on tv were either Mammy, Aunt Jemima or Buckwheat. hardly inspirational role models

I love chatting up the gowns lolol as i'm sure you've noticed through the years with my posts and of course i'll admit that when us fans on here get to debating their wardrobe it's a rather "niche" topic lol

but image was a huge part of the Supremes overall impact on society and history. The green swirl gowns were select and shown in a fashion book about the 100 most important dresses of the 20th century because 1) they fabulous! lol 2) they're very iconic and are a perfect visual representation of the Sup glamour and 3) they and the TCB special epitomize the groundbreaking force that was the Supremes

anyway - a long winded answer to my simply encouraging you to check out the exhibit some time when you're able
    Yeah I've noticed you like to talk about the green alien gowns with the pink bulging eyes and all those different names y'all give the dresses. Lol It's just not my thing. But I'll keep in mind your review if I ever have the occasion to see the exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I'm not very interested in the clothes and gowns either. I'm not sure I'd go to see some clothes but I'd glance through the book.

Mary and Mark Bego did a cooking book? It must have come and gone pretty quick.

But at least if this is coming out, that is a landmark.
    Mark Bego did a cooking book LOL and all Mary did was provided a recipe.Attachment 15362

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    What kind of dumb remark is that?
    I'm very surprised by this comment Brad. Perhaps you'd care to explain to me why my comment offended you to the point that insulting me was your next move? I don't believe I've ever done that to you, but please let me know if I have. I knew things were going too well around here for a bit too long before someone was going to jump in with some bull. Never thought it would be you Brad. Not sure why you think my comment is dumb. I'm just telling the truth. I am not a man who is into women's fashions, even if it's historical gowns of my favorite singing group. So in my mind the only way I'd be into going to see these gowns is if the Supremes themselves were still wearing them.

And that bothered you? I would say that's dumb, but maybe you actually have a good reason for going there, so I won't. I'll give you more respect than you showed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Mark Bego did a cooking book LOL and all Mary did was provided a recipe.
    Okay I was under the impression that Mary had a bigger role in the book than just sharing a recipe. Still, because I love to cook, I would've bought this for Mary's recipe alone [[well assuming it's something I'd want to eat) but Bego would be lucky to get a glass of water from me if he were thirsty. He damn sure aint getting a cook book's amount of money from me.

Okay I was under the impression that Mary had a bigger role in the book than just sharing a recipe. Still, because I love to cook, I would've bought this for Mary's recipe alone [[well assuming it's something I'd want to eat) but Bego would be lucky to get a glass of water from me if he were thirsty. He damn sure aint getting a cook book's amount of money from me.
    I find Bego kinda sleazy imo.

Yeah I've noticed you like to talk about the green alien gowns with the pink bulging eyes and all those different names y'all give the dresses. Lol It's just not my thing. But I'll keep in mind your review if I ever have the occasion to see the exhibit.
    lolol yes i like the gowns but don't be hoisting those phony names on me! lolol i'm not the one that's concocting those

As a matter of interest, how would the dresses get names?

Do they really have them or do people just call them a name to describe them?

As a straight male with little or no interest in women's fashions this book holds no interest for me whatsoever. I have no idea who this Mark Bego character is but he seems to a divisive individual. I will pass on this book, but to anyone who may get something out of it i say happy reading to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I find Bego kinda sleazy imo.
    Uh ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    lolol yes i like the gowns but don't be hoisting those phony names on me! lolol i'm not the one that's concocting those
    That's your story and you're sticking to it, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Apparently Bego also eats watermelon and makes jewelry. Gotta pay the tax man, i guess.

As a matter of interest, how would the dresses get names?

Do they really have them or do people just call them a name to describe them?
    Designers may or may not adapt a sobriquet with which to identify a particular pret a porter garment. In the case of couture usually the client's name and event for which the garment is being designed would be applied for billing and identification purposes. Looking from the outside in, fans tend to adapt a nickname with which to identify particular costumes. There's no iron-clad rule. In the just-pre-social media days you may remember Princess Diana's gowns being named by the fashion press. And, straying a bit, Mr. Kenneth, Jacqueline Kennedy's hairdresser during her First Lady years was known to name her hairstyles [['her' referring to Ms. Kennedy, NOT Mr. Kenneth). And I myself have lucky underwear but I don't give it a name.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Designers may or may not adapt a sobriquet with which to identify a particular pret a porter garment. In the case of couture usually the client's name and event for which the garment is being designed would be applied for billing and identification purposes. Looking from the outside in, fans tend to adapt a nickname with which to identify particular costumes. There's no iron-clad rule. In the just-pre-social media days you may remember Princess Diana's gowns being named by the fashion press. And, straying a bit, Mr. Kenneth, Jacqueline Kennedy's hairdresser during her First Lady years was known to name her hairstyles [['her' referring to Ms. Kennedy, NOT Mr. Kenneth). And I myself have lucky underwear but I don't give it a name.
    Just how lucky? LOL!

I want some of the underwear.

I understand the dress names now.

Mark Bego seems to have made a living out of writing celebrity gossip books. Randy Tarraborelli did the same but with quite a lot more class. Andy is friendly with Mark so Mark must not be that bad. He should get some advice on cutting some of the grease and jewelry and adapting some of Randy's class.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Just how lucky? LOL!
    Gotta throw one of those in every now and then to see if people are really reading! But ... in answer to your question, if my lucky underwear could only talk ...

I want some of the underwear.

I understand the dress names now.

Mark Bego seems to have made a living out of writing celebrity gossip books. Randy Tarraborelli did the same but with quite a lot more class. Andy is friendly with Mark so Mark must not be that bad. He should get some advice on cutting some of the grease and jewelry and adapting some of Randy's class.
    Any underwear can become lucky if one wills it so. A really good book about Supremes stage outfits could be great but I fear this will be a budget affair; looks like it does not really get released until September. Taraborelli has become a more responsible author with time though he still aims for mass-market; Bego seems to go even a step lower, and his books are frequently cut-and-paste jobs consisting of cobbling together easily findable, already-done research instead of doing his own.

I wouldn’t buy anything associated with Mark Bego!

.... looks like it does not really get released until September.
    It comes out first in the UK next month, followed by the US in September.

For those who want it next month, following the UK publication, you can pre-order online on the Book Depository and they have free shipping. I am curious about this book and will likely purchase it, like I do with anything that comes out about The Supremes. I hope we can hear more about the details/contents soon and/or a preview.

Ok I went and pre-ordered. Whew! Anything to support the Supremes' legacy gets support from me.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Ok I went and pre-ordered. Whew! Anything to support the Supremes' legacy gets support from me.
    I'll be interested to see what your review of the book is and look forward to your review!

I'll be interested to see what your review of the book is and look forward to your review!
    Thanks, will do!

Although I have to say the music is my primary attraction, the Supremes were easy on the eyes....the gowns and the hair created the image...and there are lots of hetro men who favored one look over the other....[[A form fitting "lime swirl" gown with a long wig roped me in....and a "gold spider web /butterfly" deal with a blonde wig 45 minutes later seemingly kept me there for life) Supremes were the most visible female act for an entire decade. I have lots of favorite songs that until the internet came along I had no idea what the performers looked like.

Amazon Canada has a preview of the book...looks good!

https://www.amazon.ca/Supreme-Glamou...gateway&sr=8-6

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Amazon Canada has a preview of the book...looks good!

https://www.amazon.ca/Supreme-Glamou...gateway&sr=8-6
    Indeed it does - from the previews there are lots of unseen [[to me) pictures.

not sure about thebook as i have not seen it but it is part of the supremes image and their history. some of these gowns are beautiful and worth some $ now, at least the ones that were not all chopped up. don't know why anyone would chop up art, just my opinion

It looks like Mary Wilson has another winner on her hands! This is documented history of a part of American Pop Culture. I'm proud of her.

Not sure what sexuality has to do with purchasing a book, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    As a straight male with little or no interest in women's fashions this book holds no interest for me whatsoever. I have no idea who this Mark Bego character is but he seems to a divisive individual. I will pass on this book, but to anyone who may get something out of it i say happy reading to you.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Not sure what sexuality has to do with purchasing a book, lol.
    I would say that it could depend upon the contents of a book.

It's nice to see y'all have an "issue" [[however serious or light) with a comment without resorting to insults. That bitch that called my remark "dumb" still hasn't explained what's so dumb about it.

It's nice to see y'all have an "issue" [[however serious or light) with a comment without resorting to insults. That bitch that called my remark "dumb" still hasn't explained what's so dumb about it.
    Who called you dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    not sure about thebook as i have not seen it but it is part of the supremes image and their history. some of these gowns are beautiful and worth some $ now, at least the ones that were not all chopped up. don't know why anyone would chop up art, just my opinion
    at the time, it wasn't about preservation of art but about work. during the 70s, i doubt anyone would have predicted that the gowns would individually be so renown. of course everyone recognized that the overall Sup image was iconic but as the lineups changed and money was tight, i'm sure mary wasn't looking to have dozens of gowns ensconced in glass cases for posterity. They needed the outfits to work and perform in. So alterations were made

also quite a few DRATS era gowns were altered early on for the JMC lineup, partly because they weren't 100% certain of the fate of the group. what if Ladder had bombed and the public flat-out rejected the new Sup lineup? They didn't want to buy up lots of new outfits right away and so the only did the red pantsuits from sullivan. Then they altered the multi colored halter-top gowns [[from cover of 25th anniversary), the silver pantsuits from No Matter What Sign, the indian maiden pantsuits, the orange pantsuits from Hollywood palace, etc. Some of these were among the newest outfits [[and therefore only just recently purchased) and so that made sense to quite alter them.

once the New Sups showed that they were quite popular, then you had them quickly adding new outfits in 70 - the pink pantsuits from Glen Campbell, the white poncho pantsuits from Andy Williams, the lavender pantsuits from Flip Wilson, the gold pantsuits and the green fringe pantsuits [[both from Tom Jones). So that makes 6 new outfits in 1970 alone.

Now marybrewster you must know that all gay men are into women’s clothes! That is when they are not doing hair dressing!

I would say that it could depend upon the contents of a book.
    Fashion is not necessarily a gay men's thing, I've seen straight men talk about it though they may not be so willing to admit it like gay men do. Not every gay man is into fashion but it's not a bad stereotype since I've been kinda into fashion of some sorts [[maybe not Supremes gowns) since I was a kid lol

Who called you dumb?
    bradsupremes got really pissed and said "what kind of dumb remark is that?" to Ran's post.

Who called you dumb?
    I refer you to post #4. Mind you he said my remark was dumb, but if you say someone is saying something dumb you're pretty much also saying the person is dumb too. It just seemed like an out of left field insult thrown my way. Confusing but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    bradsupremes got really pissed and said "what kind of dumb remark is that?" to Ran's post.
    Came out of nowhere with it. I usually enjoy Brad's posts. We may disagree here and there but we've always done it with class. I guess he really wants me to be into Supremes gowns. Talk about invested!! He must have some money invested in Mary's traveling exhibit. Well sorry Brad, I got's nothing for ya.

Came out of nowhere with it. I usually enjoy Brad's posts. We may disagree here and there but we've always done it with class. I guess he really wants me to be into Supremes gowns. Talk about invested!! He must have some money invested in Mary's traveling exhibit. Well sorry Brad, I got's nothing for ya.
    I don't know where he was going with that either. I had to do a double take at first like "did he really say that???"

Ran, it certainly was a clever comment you made!

My apologies for the remark, RanRan. I was not having a good day when I said that. I never implied you were dumb nor do I think you are. Looking back now, I should have rephrased what I wanted to say. I understand there are fans who are not interested in the gowns, but I must say they were beautifully photographed for the book and it's great to see something upclose that others may not have been able to see in the touring exhibit. There's more to the book than just the gowns and there are some great never-before-seen color photos of the group.

Again, no hard feelings. On bad days we say things we shouldn't have said and I apologize.

awwww look at the love

I am happy for Mary !!
    I think this is in line with the coffee table book she was doing.
    Good for you Mary !!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    My apologies for the remark, RanRan. I was not having a good day when I said that. I never implied you were dumb nor do I think you are. Looking back now, I should have rephrased what I wanted to say. I understand there are fans who are not interested in the gowns, but I must say they were beautifully photographed for the book and it's great to see something upclose that others may not have been able to see in the touring exhibit. There's more to the book than just the gowns and there are some great never-before-seen color photos of the group.

Again, no hard feelings. On bad days we say things we shouldn't have said and I apologize.
    Thanks Brad. Apologies accepted and this is officially moved into the "bygones" category and we can get back to the music we love.